Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 6, 2024, 4:47 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abiogenesis is impossible
RE: Abiogenesis is impossible
(June 4, 2014 at 1:50 am)snowtracks Wrote: get on the right side of the deal:
The bottom line is that the universe is at least ten billion orders of magnitude (a factor of 1010,000,000,000times) too small or too young for life to have assembled itself by natural processes.(i) These kinds of calculations have been done by researchers, both non-theists and theists, in a variety of disciplines.(42-58)
http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles...nt-design/

That sounds like pure BS. For one thing no one knows how large the universe is or what it is. Second, the age of the universe is just speculation. If you use your own mind and think about it you will see why it's BS.
the 5'th day of Genesis which is called the Cambrian explosion had an explosion of body plans that doesn't fit into macroevolution models. http://www.evolutionnews.org/2009/06/bio...21931.html
Atheist Credo: A universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
(June 4, 2014 at 2:44 am)snowtracks Wrote: the 5'th day of Genesis which is called the Cambrian explosion had an explosion of body plans that doesn't fit into macroevolution models. http://www.evolutionnews.org/2009/06/bio...21931.html

By now I think we can actually play Snowtracks bingo with the number of dishonest tropes he employes every time he posts.

Let's see: out of date source... well, five years old isn't exactly great. Discredited author, since it's Casey Luskin. Single source that doesn't hold a view shared by the scientific community heralded as the thing that resolves an issue in favor of god. Dramatic, willful misinterpretation of a scientific report in order to shoehorn in god. Bald assertions about biblical things...

Hey, bingo! Rolleyes
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(June 4, 2014 at 2:44 am)snowtracks Wrote: the 5'th day of Genesis which is called the Cambrian explosion
The "fifth day" of Genesis describes the creation of every type of sea-dwelling creature and all of the birds. Neither of which happen to appear in Cambrian fossil layers.

And this is an old creationist canard, to quote-mine a scientist who expresses doubt about something they knew or thought they knew and implying that it wipes out the entire evolutionary framework. All it does is remind us that science can recognize where it is wrong and correct itself, whereas religion doesn't have the freedom to do that because being wrong actually does destroy its entire framework. So you wind up with people trying slimy maneuvers like Luskin, or making laughably crazy statements like snowtracks continues to do.
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould
This would be the Casey Luskin who can't even pronounce the word “carboniferous“, right?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 4, 2014 at 2:15 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(June 4, 2014 at 1:50 am)snowtracks Wrote: get on the right side of the deal:
The bottom line is that the universe is at least ten billion orders of magnitude (a factor of 1010,000,000,000times) too small or too young for life to have assembled itself by natural processes.(i) These kinds of calculations have been done by researchers, both non-theists and theists, in a variety of disciplines.(42-58)
http://www.simpletoremember.com/articles...nt-design/

That sounds like pure BS. For one thing no one knows how large the universe is or what it is. Second, the age of the universe is just speculation. If you use your own mind and think about it you will see why it's BS.

at that site Simple to remember (Judaism online) it just lists what the natural state of earth and our universe would be if it were younger or older than it is now or if earth was closer or farther away etc.. It seems that they are attributing simple physics and logical conclusions (like our earth wouldn't be habitable if it wasn't right where it is) and think that's proof for intelligent design.

Snowtracks
[Image: centrifugal-acceleration.PNG]

you do understand that rocks that fall into a stars gravitational pull start going in circles around the star and their orbits inevitably drive them into the star, right? Obviously there's a habitable zone where all the elements are able to exist and thrive and *gasp, evolve with the right conditions. Do you believe earth is the only inhabited planet in the galaxy and beyond?
If I were to create self aware beings knowing fully what they would do in their lifetimes, I sure wouldn't create a HELL for the majority of them to live in infinitely! That's not Love, that's sadistic. Therefore a truly loving god does not exist!

Quote:The sin is against an infinite being (God) unforgiven infinitely, therefore the punishment is infinite.

Dead wrong.  The actions of a finite being measured against an infinite one are infinitesimal and therefore merit infinitesimal punishment.

Quote:Some people deserve hell.

I say again:  No exceptions.  Punishment should be equal to the crime, not in excess of it.  As soon as the punishment is greater than the crime, the punisher is in the wrong.

[Image: tumblr_n1j4lmACk61qchtw3o1_500.gif]
Actually the orbits are ellipses rather than true circles, but often they're as close to being circles as makes little damn.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I see snowy is going for the "I'll just keep saying stupid shit until everyone gives up and then claim victory" routine.

Stay classy.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
(June 4, 2014 at 3:22 am)Tonus Wrote:
(June 4, 2014 at 2:44 am)snowtracks Wrote: the 5'th day of Genesis which is called the Cambrian explosion
The "fifth day" of Genesis describes the creation of every type of sea-dwelling creature and all of the birds. Neither of which happen to appear in Cambrian fossil layers.

day five introduces animals (sea, land, air) that are self aware creatures and as such manifest attributes of mind, will, emotions. day six mentions 3 specialized land animals for particular reasons.
Atheist Credo: A universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
(June 5, 2014 at 2:39 am)snowtracks Wrote: day five introduces animals (sea, land, air) that are self aware creatures and as such manifest attributes of mind, will, emotions. day six mentions 3 specialized land animals for particular reasons.

Day five did nothing more than introduce stupidity to humanity whereby it concocted over-imaginative concepts in the absence of proper evidence.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impossible to love a monster Foxaèr 18 2064 April 6, 2018 at 8:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible. Esquilax 82 22149 February 6, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Christianity almost impossible without indoctrination FreeTony 118 33056 February 17, 2014 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Hell is theologically impossible if God is omnipotent. Greatest I am 104 47495 January 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Adam and Eve impossible searchingforanswers 70 46482 September 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  The Bodily Resurrection of Christ was Impossible bjhulk 3 4586 February 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Argument for atheism from impossible actions Captain Scarlet 16 7545 September 1, 2010 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: everythingafter