Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 7, 2024, 10:34 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Abiogenesis is impossible
RE: Abiogenesis is impossible
(June 15, 2014 at 1:41 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote:
(June 15, 2014 at 1:09 am)Minimalist Wrote: Babylonia never conquered Egypt.

Someone spilled some extra ink all over the damn map.

http://www.keyway.ca/htm2000/20000214.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Babylonian_Empire

http://www.prophecydepotministries.net/2...esolation/

The wiki map is correct. The third one is some bible bullshitter.

I can't open the first one.

Nonetheless, the wiki article is correct. The Egyptians, after trying to assist their Assyrian allies were defeated at Carchemish by the Babylonians in 605 BC. But the 26th dynasty held off Babylon until the Persians came along c 525.
Abiogenesis is impossible
(June 14, 2014 at 7:57 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Everything is a story but never disregard the historical events.

A group claims that abiogenesis is impossible but they believe that a god character made everything from dirt.

This. Snowy has a problem with abiogenesis only because it doesn't literally describe god playing in a sandbox, molding a man out of clay, and breathing in his face before placing him in the garden of Eden.

In his "mind" scientists are scared to present this "theory" because of a worldwide "conspiracy" that will pull their funding if they stop doing science and replace theory and experimentation with hand scrawled "Dunno GodDidIt" notes.
(June 15, 2014 at 12:57 am)snowtracks Wrote:
(June 13, 2014 at 1:34 am)GalacticBusDriver Wrote: You really don't have a single fucking clue, do you?

Holy fuck. Is that really the best you've got?

Sad. Just fucking sad.
predictable you couldn't figure out the loaded coin bet.

No, I just recognize bullshit when I smell it.
Thief and assassin for hire. Member in good standing of the Rogues Guild.
(June 14, 2014 at 6:56 pm)snowtracks Wrote: hey atheist, they're playing you like a drum and you don't even know it. scientists using the naturalism methodology can't make reference to a designer or they lose their funding because there would be nothing for them to study.

Hey theist, Ben Stein is playing you like a drum and you don't even know it. Your silly fairytale pretend science doesn't need anything as grand as a conspiracy to be a laughing stock. You realise Expelled was a comedy film, right?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 15, 2014 at 2:30 am)snowtracks Wrote: poor guy is suffering so from such big, big numbers "but there are a lot of planets in the universe, snowtracks", "if we take into account the countless planets". first of all dufus, there are an estimated 10^82 atoms in the observable universe so you know the planets are less right? http://www.universetoday.com/36302/atoms...-universe/
and did you know the http://www2.astro.psu.edu/users/dfox/A00...lec37.html that the The Fermi Paradox has you flat on the ground and gasping for air? and do you believe in the galactic police force charged with painting over the graffitti left by other civilizations cited by the site?

Lots of name-calling, and you still didn't address what I said.

You initially started talking about how "improbable" it must be for life to be on earth. I responded with iterative probability to explain this (and even gave an observable real-world example to help break it down so that maybe you could wrap your head around it). You respond by dodging and busting out a bunch of big words off topic to try and make it sound like you know what you're talking about.

Jesus Christ, you're useless. Snowball, are you doing this to convince us or yourself? So far as I can tell, you're pretty much the same as Godschild: you're only after our silence, rather than trying to actually convince us we're wrong with a cognizant point. Your only weapon in your arsenal is endurance. You figure if you keep posting here long enough, we'll all gradually leave the thread or put you on ignore, and eventually, you'll "win".

Useless.
(June 15, 2014 at 1:43 pm)Rampant.A.I. Wrote:
(June 14, 2014 at 7:57 pm)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Everything is a story but never disregard the historical events.

A group claims that abiogenesis is impossible but they believe that a god character made everything from dirt.

This. Snowy has a problem with abiogenesis only because it doesn't literally describe god playing in a sandbox, molding a man out of clay, and breathing in his face before placing him in the garden of Eden.

In his "mind" scientists are scared to present this "theory" because of a worldwide "conspiracy" that will pull their funding if they stop doing science and replace theory and experimentation with hand scrawled "Dunno GodDidIt" notes.

People tend to get so wrapped up in the "Garden of Eden" story that they overlook the fact that the Bible says where it was and even when it existed. I can understand casual Bible readers missing it but even preachers and priests overlook it. So if the God character actually made a man from common field dirt and then a woman from the man's rib it was on a planet in a galaxy far, far, far away. It didn't happen on this one.
(June 15, 2014 at 10:24 pm)RobbyPants Wrote:
(June 15, 2014 at 2:30 am)snowtracks Wrote: poor guy is suffering so from such big, big numbers "but there are a lot of planets in the universe, snowtracks", "if we take into account the countless planets". first of all dufus, there are an estimated 10^82 atoms in the observable universe so you know the planets are less right? http://www.universetoday.com/36302/atoms...-universe/
and did you know the http://www2.astro.psu.edu/users/dfox/A00...lec37.html that the The Fermi Paradox has you flat on the ground and gasping for air? and do you believe in the galactic police force charged with painting over the graffitti left by other civilizations cited by the site?
Lots of name-calling, and you still didn't address what I said.

You initially started talking about how "improbable" it must be for life to be on earth. I responded with iterative probability to explain this (and even gave an observable real-world example to help break it down so that maybe you could wrap your head around it). You respond by dodging and busting out a bunch of big words off topic to try and make it sound like you know what you're talking about.

Jesus Christ, you're useless. Snowball, are you doing this to convince us or yourself? So far as I can tell, you're pretty much the same as Godschild: you're only after our silence, rather than trying to actually convince us we're wrong with a cognizant point. Your only weapon in your arsenal is endurance. You figure if you keep posting here long enough, we'll all gradually leave the thread or put you on ignore, and eventually, you'll "win".

Useless.
"iterative probability" - saw you posted it and understand it. now, should I call a press conference?
Atheist Credo: A universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
You should call a doctor
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
(June 15, 2014 at 12:19 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
(June 15, 2014 at 1:41 am)Wyrd of Gawd Wrote: Someone spilled some extra ink all over the damn map.

http://www.keyway.ca/htm2000/20000214.htm

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Neo-Babylonian_Empire

http://www.prophecydepotministries.net/2...esolation/

The wiki map is correct. The third one is some bible bullshitter.

I can't open the first one.

Nonetheless, the wiki article is correct. The Egyptians, after trying to assist their Assyrian allies were defeated at Carchemish by the Babylonians in 605 BC. But the 26th dynasty held off Babylon until the Persians came along c 525.

Some sources say that Babylon defeated Egypt and took some of its territory. But you might be right about Babylon never occupying Egypt proper. http://biblehub.com/2_kings/24-7.htm It's sort of like the U.S. taking Mexican territory without actually occupying Mexico proper, although we did invade Mexico and defeated it.
(June 16, 2014 at 2:33 am)snowtracks Wrote: "iterative probability" - saw you posted it and understand it. now, should I call a press conference?

So do you then retract your "argument" to which it was a rebuttal?
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Impossible to love a monster Foxaèr 18 2075 April 6, 2018 at 8:10 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Oklahoma Republican wants to make secular marriage impossible. Esquilax 82 22157 February 6, 2015 at 3:42 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Christianity almost impossible without indoctrination FreeTony 118 33075 February 17, 2014 at 11:44 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Hell is theologically impossible if God is omnipotent. Greatest I am 104 47520 January 14, 2012 at 5:59 pm
Last Post: reverendjeremiah
  Adam and Eve impossible searchingforanswers 70 46491 September 9, 2011 at 6:47 pm
Last Post: Justtristo
  The Bodily Resurrection of Christ was Impossible bjhulk 3 4586 February 8, 2011 at 2:54 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Argument for atheism from impossible actions Captain Scarlet 16 7545 September 1, 2010 at 11:59 pm
Last Post: everythingafter