Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 1, 2024, 9:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Ken Ham petulantly stamps his feet at reality, internet replies, "this is stupid."
RE: Ken Ham petulantly stamps his feet at reality, internet replies, "this is stu...
(February 18, 2015 at 8:24 pm)YGninja Wrote: Its called a Synagogue, not a Church. Y'know why?

church
tʃəːtʃ/Submit
noun
a building used for public Christian worship.

You couldn't be more dishonest, could you? You think the number attached to the word doesn't have significance? Like, maybe, that there are alternate definitions?

How about definition 1.3 (and, ironically, the sample sentence) from the very same dictionary you quote mined?

Oxford English Dictionary Wrote:Definition of church in English:
NOUN

1A building used for public Christian worship:
"they came to church with me"

1.1 (usually Church) A particular Christian organization, typically one with its own clergy, buildings, and distinctive doctrines:
the Church of England

1.2 (the Church) The hierarchy of clergy of a Christian organization, especially the Roman Catholic Church or the Church of England.

1.3 Institutionalized religion as a political or social force:
"the separation of church and state"
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
RE: Ken Ham petulantly stamps his feet at reality, internet replies, "this is stu...
(February 18, 2015 at 8:24 pm)YGninja Wrote: No, the ToT says the US Government wasn't founded on the Christian religion. The establishment clause, again, protects religion from interference from Government. Not the government or any of its institutions from religion, which we've already established couldn't possibly be the case because all US Colleges and Universities were founded as Christian, schoolchildren sung Christian hymns from the very beginning, and the entire nation learned to read and write using the Bible.

Okay genius, apparently I'm going to have to spell this out for you: if religion is protected from the government, but government is not protected from religion, what is to stop a religious group from influencing the government to in turn influence other religions by enshrining that religion into law, thus violating the very basis of the point you think the establishment clause was made to carry out?

Leaving aside your idiotic continued use of the argument from tradition fallacy, your inability to see the implications of what you're saying tell me you haven't really thought about any of this, beyond the usual entitled theist talking points.

Not surprisingly, the religious arguments aren't accurate.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(February 18, 2015 at 12:25 pm)YGninja Wrote: WHat didn't i reply to?

I think it was the only 'Church' being referred to. "The Church", is a colloquial term for the Christian authority, I don't think it is at all far fetched to suppose that at the time of writing, when referencing "The Church", they were exclusively referencing Christianity, especially as 99.9% of the population were Christian, and no other religion actually has churches. Can you give me an example of the term "The Church", being used to describe a Jewish congregation or Islamic congregation in that time period??

Wrong, partially true but not in this context, it is indeed far-fetched unless you're a historically illiterate moron, the percentage was lower, they were referencing the sense conveyed by entry 1.3 of this OED definition, and your last question is a strawman.

RE: Ken Ham petulantly stamps his feet at reality, internet replies, "this is stupid."
My friend made a great suggestion to me (not a serious one). He said send all people of the same religion off to live together, by their religious rules and leave everyone else alone.

I've said it before, most christians would not want to live in a society governed solely by the laws of the bible. They may think they do, they may think that would be the ultimate kind of society, but I give it one day at the most before they are begging to have secular law back.

All they really want is secular law, plus their bigotry and special treatment.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 19, 2015 at 4:04 am)robvalue Wrote: All they really want is secular law, plus their bigotry and special treatment.

They want the law to be whatever will most benefit them, at all times, regardless of the cost to anyone else. No doubt our smug little friend will accuse me of misrepresentation again, it seems to be his go-to case for dismissing me out of hand, but that's fine: a lack of self-awareness is practically required for theistic entitlement to function.
"YOU take the hard look in the mirror. You are everything that is wrong with this world. The only thing important to you, is you." - ronedee

Want to see more of my writing? Check out my (safe for work!) site, Unprotected Sects!
(February 18, 2015 at 1:45 pm)YGninja Wrote: The only claim i've made is that by "Church", they were most likely referring exclusively to the Christian Church, this is because Jews Have synagogues, Muslims have Mosques, other religions have temples, and the country was 99.9% Christian. I've fulfilled my BOP which is to explain why i think this is most likely. If you want to deny me, you inherit a BOP to explain why you think im wrong.

Here:

Quote:Congress shall make no law respecting an establishment of religion, or prohibiting the free exercise thereof; or abridging the freedom of speech, or of the press; or the right of the people peaceably to assemble, and to petition the Government for a redress of grievances.[1]

There is no mention of "church" in there, which renders your "point", dull as it is, irrelevant. The Amendment is clearly aimed at "religion" and not "church", meaning that it applies to all faiths, and not just your own particular brand of dementia.

You've pinned your argument to a word which doesn't appear in the Constitution. If I were you, I'm plan my reasoning better the next time I posted. Answering your objection was childishly simple.

You'll simply have to do better.

RE: Ken Ham petulantly stamps his feet at reality, internet replies, "this is stupid."
Sure. Does any christian here actually believe they would want to live in a christian theocracy? Seriously? I dare anyone to say that they would.

Hint: look at muslim theocracies, and compare the bible to the Quran in terms of evil.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(February 18, 2015 at 2:19 pm)KevinM1 Wrote: And anyone claiming otherwise really needs to take a few history and political science courses.

Wait, did I read you correctly, Kev? Are you suggesting that believers should get an education?

(February 18, 2015 at 8:24 pm)YGninja Wrote: Its called a Synagogue, not a Church. Y'know why?

church
tʃəːtʃ/Submit
noun
a building used for public Christian worship.

The Oxford English dictionary is the premier source for English-language reference. It's a pity you weren't honest enough to quote the entire definition, or link to it. Here's the rest of that entry:

the OED Wrote:Definition of church in English:
NOUN

1A building used for public Christian worship:
they came to church with me

1.1 (usually Church) A particular Christian organization, typically one with its own clergy, buildings, and distinctive doctrines:
the Church of England

1.2 (the Church) The hierarchy of clergy of a Christian organization, especially the Roman Catholic Church or the Church of England.

1.3 Institutionalized religion as a political or social force:
the separation of church and state

http://www.oxforddictionaries.com/us/def...ish/church

And notice what they use as the example sentence. The only way that definition could more clearly indicate that you are wrong would be to address you by your proper name. "Church" does not mean only Christian buildings or organizations.

You see, words have different connotations and denotations. As you go about getting that education that Kevin advised for you, be sure you add an English class or two to that schedule, because you're clearly deficient in the field. A class in ethics couldn't hurt, either.

Ninja'd!
"There remain four irreducible objections to religious faith: that it wholly misrepresents the origins of man and the cosmos, that because of this original error it manages to combine the maximum servility with the maximum of solipsism, that it is both the result and the cause of dangerous sexual repression, and that it is ultimately grounded on wish-thinking." ~Christopher Hitchens, god is not Great

PM me your email address to join the Slack chat! I'll give you a taco(or five) if you join! --->There's an app and everything!<---
Really? We have a theist reduced to arguing over the inference of the word 'church' in relation to church and state?

I mean come the fuck along, srsly.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Stupid things atheists say: Goatherders Data 45 2105 September 18, 2023 at 12:43 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Cult leader encouraging his followers to starve to death. Rev. Rye 2 497 April 28, 2023 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Why doesn't God love his enemies? Fake Messiah 16 1404 November 30, 2022 at 12:17 pm
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Ham vs. Craig Fake Messiah 22 1911 November 27, 2021 at 11:50 pm
Rainbow (He/Him/His) No penis, identifies as a male Nihilist Virus 25 2098 April 17, 2021 at 10:37 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  This Is Stupid Even For A Catholic School BrianSoddingBoru4 16 2266 September 5, 2019 at 3:17 pm
Last Post: GUBU
  Jesus’ Failed Prophecy About His Return DoubtingHerFaith 107 15595 January 15, 2019 at 4:29 am
  Damned STUPID Priest yesterday . . . drfuzzy 102 7986 December 6, 2018 at 8:23 pm
Last Post: tackattack
  Pope Fuckface Is Either Losing His Mind Or Remembered How The Church Traditionally Minimalist 12 2238 October 10, 2018 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Josh McDowell and the "atheistic" Internet Jehanne 43 6330 February 8, 2018 at 1:32 pm
Last Post: Crossless2.0