Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 27, 2024, 3:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 4.5 Average
The Jesus Freaks Will Hate This
RE: The Jesus Freaks Will Hate This
Err....

We were in the middle of talking about evolution, and you bring up Noah's Ark.

I don't care how the discussion started, it's not an appropriate thing to discuss scientifically. The flood, as I'm sure you're aware, has been scientifically debunked. And the whole story is absurd on every level. So if you think that really happened, we are on two different planes of reality and there's nothing to discuss.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(March 18, 2015 at 7:50 am)robvalue Wrote: Err....

We were in the middle of talking about evolution, and you bring up Noah's Ark.

I don't care how the discussion started, it's not an appropriate thing to discuss. The flood, as I'm sure you're aware, has been scientifically debunked. And the whole story is absurd on every level. So if you think that really happened, we are on two different planes of reality and there's nothing to discuss.

Actually the discussion was about whether or not Jesus was married...

According to "science" a meteor hit the planet and caused an extinction level event, and also according to scientific calculations, the hydrogen bomb was supposed to do the same thing, except it didn't. Must I go through all the cases where science has proven to be wrong?

If the Bible backtracked as much as "science" does, I defiantly wouldn't believe in it.
Ah! Right. I give up. For good this time. I'll leave you with this.

Science admits when it is wrong, and it learns. Religion makes unfalsifiable claims which cannot be.proved wrong, but which are utterly useless and have never achieved anything. Any time religion does make a testable claim, it falls flat on its face and science kicks seven shades of technicolor out of it.

Admitting you have been wrong in the past is a good thing. Stubbornly sticking to a position regardless of new evidence is willful ignorance. I hope one day you'll join the first group.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
(March 18, 2015 at 7:21 am)robvalue Wrote: What evolution deniers need to understand is that speciation can take thousands or hundreds of thousands of years. It will happen eventually. The fact that you demand it happen within an arbitrary timescale convenient to you is irrelevant. It's like saying a car can't get to 60 mph if it doesn't get there in 2 seconds.

We have seen it happen, in organisms with a short life span. The fact that you personally haven't witnessed it is also irrelevant.

I think you're using the wrong units, evolution works across generations rather than years. Thus a species with a short life cycle will evolve faster than one with a long life cycle. This is why geneticists use Drosophila as it has a life cycle of 10 days. As such we have bred different species of Drosophila as previously noted.
Huggy will now stick his fingers in his ears and recite the 'La-La'La' song... Wink
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
Sure, you're right. That's why I said "can" take that long, but it is much better to phrase it in terms of generations.

That's much less confusing. Thanks! Smile

See there? I admitted I was not using the best terminology and ideas. I was mistakenly using a less explanatory model. That doesn't mean I'm now wrong about everything in the future. It means I'm capable of learning and improving.

One more thing Huggy... you use science almost all the time. Reading a sentence, interpreting the words, relating it to your experience, forming a reply and typing it, that is a scientific method of sorts. A non-scientific method would be to just believe that the best possible reply would magically be beamed into the person's brain, or to write a reply to a different question, using someone else's experiences instead of your own, and also talking about pumpkins. If you think you're not using science, you don't know what science is. You would be unable to properly function without it, so theists are not somehow devoid of it. At its simplest, it's using reason and evidence to make the best decisions, collect useful information and form successful predictive models. If you think you don't do that 99% of the time, you need to rethink. You'd be dead, in jail or unwilling to move through indecision.

(Religious) theists just fail to or refuse to use it in regard to their religious beliefs.

Index of my best videos
(March 18, 2015 at 7:53 am)Huggy74 Wrote: According to "science" a meteor hit the planet and caused an extinction level event, and also according to scientific calculations, the hydrogen bomb was supposed to do the same thing, except it didn't.

Let me guess, you pulled this from the same place you're storing the remnants of last night's dinner.
(March 18, 2015 at 7:53 am)Huggy74 Wrote: If the Bible backtracked as much as "science" does, I defiantly wouldn't believe in it.

Whether 'defiantly' is intended (it works) or not (much funnier), off we go to the Hall of Shame, where all such idiocy belongs.
False dichotomy: either science is 100% accurate all the time ever, or we can discount it as entirely useless whenever it's convenient to do so.

Reality is not black and white.

Index of my best videos
(March 18, 2015 at 7:24 am)Huggy74 Wrote: I'm explaining what the Bible Defines as a species. Every seed must bring forth of it's own "KIND". This simply means, as long as fertile offspring are able to be produced, they are the same species.

Which is why it's nonsense to assume the Bible states Noah took two of every single animal in the world aboard the ark, when it clearly states he took two of each species, big difference.
Again wrong, according to the book of Jewish BS there were 14 sheep and 14 cows on the Ark;
Genesis: 7:2

Each with about 5 square millimetres of room..
Quote:I don't understand why you'd come to a discussion forum, and then proceed to reap from visibility any voice that disagrees with you. If you're going to do that, why not just sit in front of a mirror and pat yourself on the back continuously?
-Esquilax

Evolution - Adapt or be eaten.
Oh yeah. He took more of the clean animals. Whatever the fuck that means. God made unclean animals then moans that they are unclean.

Index of my best videos

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think Catholics hate Charles Goodyear Woah0 7 1324 August 28, 2022 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Xtians Will Hate This. Minimalist 34 3214 December 3, 2018 at 12:39 am
Last Post: T0 Th3 M4X
  Why are Christians so full of hate? I_am_not_mafia 183 17803 October 18, 2018 at 7:50 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Propaganda Films and Hate Speech Astonished 41 13958 August 1, 2017 at 11:16 am
Last Post: Astonished
  It Must Just Kill The Jesus Freaks. Minimalist 10 2811 March 31, 2017 at 12:35 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  hate the sin, love the sinner mcolafson 101 14672 September 5, 2016 at 11:19 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  The Poor Fucking Jesus Freaks... Minimalist 102 13388 April 22, 2016 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  the real reason creationists hate evolution? drfuzzy 22 8133 October 6, 2015 at 11:39 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  NdGT makes some Twitter Jokes...Jesus Freaks Minimalist 13 3535 December 27, 2014 at 11:02 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  In Christianity, Does Jesus' Soul Have Anything To Do With Why Jesus Is God? JesusIsGod7 18 7358 October 7, 2014 at 12:58 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist