Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 18, 2024, 3:38 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Peer reviewed study published in Science Journal turns out to be fraud.
RE: Peer reviewed study published in Science Journal turns out to be fraud.
OMG! Someone faked a study! Quick - shut science down and let's all go suck off a priest...

Good thing we don't need science for anything, since religion provides us with all the technology, medicine and knowledge we'll ever need. 

Thank you Jebus, for creating micro-processors and internet, so that we could find out from an uneducated muppet, how unreliable science is...
"The fact that a believer is happier than a skeptic is no more to the point than the fact that a drunken man is happier than a sober one." - George Bernard Shaw
(May 23, 2015 at 2:21 pm)Aoi Magi Wrote: I seriously don't understand why it is so hard to believe in evolution, it happens all around us, and the general process is so damn obvious. Even bible-thumpers are acknowledging "micro-evolution". Sure our understanding of evolution isn't perfect yet, as in, we cannot precisely predict each and every evolutionary branch or future changes, and we do scratch our heads a bit from time to time when nature surprises us with unpredicted fossils and records, and yes these new findings will force us to alter our definition of evolution, and maybe even lead to a different theory altogether, but that just means we are improving our understanding of things and NOT figuring out a conspiracy.

When a study is published, what do you think people do with it? Put it on the local newspaper and forget about it? Or use those results as a base to build upon? And if people are going to work with fraudulent data, is it really so hard to imagine that someone will figure out the fraud eventually?

It's just stupidity.  
People don't believe in evolution because, in my experience:

1- They don't understand what it is

2- It conflicts with their religious dogma

If it wasn't for point 2, most theists would probably accept it anyway even if they didn't understand it.

If anyone really thinks the whole is science is a conspiracy and not to be trusted, then... you're kind of beyond help. Again, science is not an organization. It is a set of tools. It would be like never trusting a hammer again because someone used one to smash someone's face in.

I guess some theists see science as being a similar organization to their own religion. That would explain a lot.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(May 23, 2015 at 12:28 pm)YGninja Wrote: I am very disappointed to see such a lack of condemnation amongst so-called science lovers.

Tsk, tsk, bad fraud scientists. You're all grounded. Happy now?
I don't trust hammers anyway, they always try to attack my thumb instead of the nail. Dodgy
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I don't know what theists would have us do?

Call up science HQ: "Hey, guys! Check the theories that you have! Make sure they are legit!"

"What the fuck do you think we're doing? That's part of our job! There's like mega fame for people who disprove established theories!"

"Well... get back to work then! Why are you wasting time talking to me?"
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of my best videos
Part of the problem, IMO, is the idea of "believing in" evolution rather than "accepting" evolution. To opponents of the theory (creationists), "I believe in evolution" makes it equal to "I believe in Yahweh".
Nolite te bastardes carborundorum.
I don't think the terms matter much when all you see is "blah blah blah...". If we say we "accept" evolution, they would just equate it to accepting the devil or something similar...
Quote:To know yet to think that one does not know is best; Not to know yet to think that one knows will lead to difficulty.
- Lau Tzu

Join me on atheistforums Slack Cool Shades (pester tibs via pm if you need invite) Tongue

I think you're right Becca. I'm sick of hearing religious faith being equated with belief in scientific theory.

I suppose when you have such a poor grasp of it as to think creatures are actually evolving into other creatures during a single lifetime, it would seem like it would require not only faith but a lack of a brain to believe it.

I think some people are genuinely scared of learning about it. Because if they found out what it really was, and it made sense, then they'd find themselves having to choose between reality and fantasy. Even more than usual Tongue

So far I've only seen evidence of one theist ever learning anything about evolution on this forum. I'd be very impressed to see this improve. What's to be scared of?

Index of my best videos
(May 23, 2015 at 3:05 pm)robvalue Wrote: People don't believe in evolution because, in my experience:

1- They don't understand what it is

2- It conflicts with their religious dogma

If it wasn't for point 2, most theists would probably accept it anyway even if they didn't understand it.

It amazes me when religionistas condemn science when it makes their magic story look bad, then almost in the same breath cream themselves whenever a paper is published that they can twist to look as though it agrees with the ravings of primitive goatsuckers to whom a wheelbarrow would be emerging technology (to borrow from Sam Harris).
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Near Death Experience Study Opinions? orthodox-man 62 10365 May 1, 2018 at 8:19 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  The AWARE study. Jehanne 3 1092 February 8, 2016 at 3:12 am
Last Post: robvalue
  New study on mass extinction of species abaris 19 5407 June 21, 2015 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Kennewick Man Study On The Way Minimalist 4 1520 September 1, 2014 at 8:29 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
Tongue Study:Drunk Fish Totally Impress Sober Fish. MountainsWinAgain 2 1095 May 23, 2014 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Tonus
  Your memory rewrites the past and edits it with new experiences, study finds Gooders1002 6 2275 March 22, 2014 at 9:04 pm
Last Post: tor
  NASA Study Concludes When Civilization Will End, And It's Not Looking Good for Us Gooders1002 9 3830 March 22, 2014 at 2:20 pm
Last Post: Heywood
  Pollen Study Indicates the Collapse of the LBA Minimalist 7 3254 October 25, 2013 at 9:25 pm
Last Post: Owlix
  Study suggests that Neandertals shared speech and language with modern humans Minimalist 13 6480 July 10, 2013 at 9:50 pm
Last Post: Full Circle
  The Science of Why We Don’t Believe Science FifthElement 23 7959 June 25, 2013 at 10:54 am
Last Post: Rahul