Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 10, 2024, 6:11 am

Thread Rating:
  • 4 Vote(s) - 2 Average
All Hail the Second Amendment
RE: All Hail the Second Amendment
Well. They're not that bad.....
(December 14, 2014 at 4:25 pm)Minimalist Wrote: You know, Chas, we only get to hear about the ones that either shoot themselves or someone else or their houses, cars, pets, etc. We never hear about all the assholes with guns who accidentally fire them into their own floors or ceilings because they were playing with them....oh, excuse me. I mean "cleaning" them.

The only way you get to retire as a Law-Abiding Responsible Gun Owner (L-ARGO) is when you die and you haven't fucked up even once with a gun. If you manage that, I'll gladly add that title to your eulogy. Until then, that list of anecdotes keeps growing and everyone with a gun is a potential fuck-up waiting to happen.

But tens of millions of people didn't fuck up ever, and tens of millions are not fucking up every day. It is demonstrably a tiny percentage who fuck up, just look at the numbers.
e.g. 120,000,000 gun owners / 1200 gun accidents = 0.001%
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
I would rather have a zero percentage of fuck-ups, but that's just me.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
Quote:But tens of millions of people didn't fuck up ever, and tens of millions are not fucking up every day.

Evidence? Or is that one of those internet stats that you made up?

How many dumb-asses leave their guns laying around for their kids to find where (fortunately) no one ends up shot?

The difference between a L-ARGO and a statistic seems to me mainly a function of dumb luck. Humans are too inherently careless.
(December 14, 2014 at 5:18 pm)Sionnach Wrote: I would rather have a zero percentage of fuck-ups, but that's just me.

And I'd rather there were no road accidents. So, there's that.

(December 14, 2014 at 6:05 pm)Minimalist Wrote:
Quote:But tens of millions of people didn't fuck up ever, and tens of millions are not fucking up every day.

Evidence? Or is that one of those internet stats that you made up?

How many dumb-asses leave their guns laying around for their kids to find where (fortunately) no one ends up shot?

The difference between a L-ARGO and a statistic seems to me mainly a function of dumb luck. Humans are too inherently careless.

Evidence? The fucking numbers speak for themselves: the number of gun owners compared to the number of accidents.
The percentage is lower than the percentage of drivers who have vehicle accidents.
They make speak to you...and I think you're hearing voices....but they sure as fuck don't speak to me.

Every time I check the news some 3 year old has just shot another person because their L-ARGO parents left their fucking gun laying around.

Those are the numbers that speak to me.

Meanwhile, Texas keeps coming up with ways to make the problem worse. Nothing like having more shitheads walking around with guns.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/texas...purchases/

Quote:Texas lawmakers propose ‘sales tax holiday’ for firearms purchases
That insane UKIP party wants to bring handguns to us in England. I don't think it will ever happen, at least not anytime soon, but it's scary that someone with that kind of agenda is in the race. Oh yeah, they also want to frack everything.

I don't think the people voting for them know these things. If they do, it's even more worrying.
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum
(December 14, 2014 at 10:00 pm)Minimalist Wrote: They make speak to you...and I think you're hearing voices....but they sure as fuck don't speak to me.

Every time I check the news some 3 year old has just shot another person because their L-ARGO parents left their fucking gun laying around.

Those are the numbers that speak to me.

Meanwhile, Texas keeps coming up with ways to make the problem worse. Nothing like having more shitheads walking around with guns.

http://www.rawstory.com/rs/2014/12/texas...purchases/

Quote:Texas lawmakers propose ‘sales tax holiday’ for firearms purchases

You clearly don't understand numbers. You are focused on the exceptions, the 0.001%.
We don't even know what the numbers are because the gun nuts have steadily tried to prevent anyone from gathering such stats. Just like we don't know how many people are executed by the cops.

Your position is that guns are good because a lot of people haven't fucked up with them.

My position is that guns are bad because a lot of people haven't fucked up with them, yet. But plenty have.
(December 15, 2014 at 11:13 am)Minimalist Wrote: We don't even know what the numbers are because the gun nuts have steadily tried to prevent anyone from gathering such stats. Just like we don't know how many people are executed by the cops.

The number of injuries from firearms is not secret knowledge. Google is your friend.

Quote:Your position is that guns are good because a lot of people haven't fucked up with them.

No, that is not my position.

Quote:My position is that guns are bad because a lot of people haven't fucked up with them, yet. But plenty have.

So, motor vehicles are bad. Plenty of fatal fuck-ups there.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If the 25th amendment wasn't meant for Trump, then who was it meant for? GODZILLA 24 1764 October 20, 2018 at 1:22 am
Last Post: onlinebiker
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2276 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Can someone tell me where in the 2nd amendment it says you can carry machine guns? NuclearEnergy 310 72608 May 16, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Paul Ryan (must watch) 39 second vid Manowar 2 1159 March 7, 2017 at 8:30 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  America Divided: Second Civil War Coming? Secular Elf 81 13001 February 24, 2017 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Naturally. The Fuckers Only Care About The Second Amendment. Minimalist 14 1983 December 10, 2016 at 7:48 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Trump's 2nd amendment call to arms not a criminal offense? Whateverist 17 3133 August 11, 2016 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Petition: second referendum for leaving the EU robvalue 37 4387 June 25, 2016 at 1:22 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Fuckhead Judge Faces Second Ouster AFTT47 3 1177 May 7, 2016 at 3:40 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  All Hail The Free Market Minimalist 7 2407 September 26, 2015 at 5:23 pm
Last Post: Minimalist