Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 20, 2024, 10:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The most important reason anyone is an atheist
RE: The most important reason anyone is a atheist
(November 17, 2013 at 9:48 am)Kitanetos Wrote: The problem is that so-called philosophers confuse wisdom with knowledge.

You are welcome to explain the difference between the two according to your WISDOM or KNOWLEDGE. Worship

(November 17, 2013 at 10:04 am)Rationalman Wrote: Oh i'm sorry, I must have missed the part where you did that, can you link me to it?

My fees for going back in the previous pages and tell you where my point is are very expensive.
Are you prepared to pay? Smile
Wisdom tends to come with age and from one's personal life experience. What may be wisdom for one may not be wisdom that universally applies to everyone.

Knowledge comes from studying associated with collective experimentation. What can be categorized as knowledge will always be recognized as a universal truth.

Religion claims to have knowledge, but what it really has is false wisdom.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
I would say that wisdom is your ability to apply knowledge
(November 17, 2013 at 10:07 am)enrico Wrote:
(November 17, 2013 at 10:04 am)Rationalman Wrote: Oh i'm sorry, I must have missed the part where you did that, can you link me to it?

My fees for going back in the previous pages and tell you where my point is are very expensive.
Are you prepared to pay? Smile

Oh ok, you can't do it then? Thought so
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech
enrico Wrote:Are you prepared to pay? Smile

Are you prepared to us what's in the box? :p
(November 17, 2013 at 10:00 am)enrico Wrote:
(November 17, 2013 at 9:26 am)Rationalman Wrote: And yet again enrico demonstrates just how weak his position is. When you can't justify your own position, go on the offensive and attack and insult everyone else's.
Theist debating tactics 101

If you follow the last posts from castronaut you would have noticed that he keep on asking the same question time after time again despite i already explained in a nice manner my point.
He may not like my answer but he got to stick with it.
If he does not like too bad for him but to come back again and again with the same question make him look like a child that is not happy because mummy did not buy lollies for him.
He may cry he may bang the head on the wall but if he keep on coming back and whine to me then i have no choice but to shake him off. Cool Shades

Kid, if instead of replying to people when they call you on your shit you are going to try and insult people, you need to bring something better to the table than the above. Srsly. It's like you're a 2 year old who is just starting to speak. Only you fail miserably.

Tell us what's in the box. Everytime you refuse to justify your claims you make yourself look like more of a liar, which of course, you are.
Love atheistforums.org? Consider becoming a patreon and helping towards our server costs.

[Image: 146748944129044_zpsomrzyn3d.gif]
(November 17, 2013 at 8:47 am)enrico Wrote:
(November 15, 2013 at 3:45 pm)Tonus Wrote: By the same token, I am not compelled to believe your made-up claims. If you aren't making things up, by all means present your case. If you are claiming that you've presented your case, I would have to say that it's not a compelling one.

Whatever case i would present you wouldn't believe anyway.
You are still stuck in the idea that life is finite and in this way you lock yourself inside the corral of dogma.

So this evidence you have, and the case that you make with it, is enough to completely convince you, but not enough to convince anyone else here?

It sure sounds like you are admitting to being a gullible buffoon.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
(November 17, 2013 at 9:45 am)enrico Wrote:
Quote:I do believe in consciousness however because I have direct experience of that. My suspicion is that our brains are elastic enough to support not only the program we call our conscious mind but also others, including whatever it is people believe to be their god.

So what is your idea about consciousness?
Can consciousness be separated from the body-mind or die when the body-mind die? Thinking

I have no reason to think consciousness does not require a functional brain. I know you speculate that they are independent of one another but I've heard no reason to think that myself.

Quote:We could discuss philosophy. I have some ideas. My own philosophic bent is toward plain speech. If a thing can be said at all it should be possible to say it simply. Anything which cannot be said plainly is suspect. The chief purpose of philosophy is to sketch out what is and isn't known in areas which are not yet fully understood.

Easy said then done mate.
You try to explain something that is explained at the uni to a child and the child still would not understand.
But if you explain the same truth to the same child that in the meantime is grown up 10 or 20 years then he will understand 100%.
In other words you got to grow up your consciousness before you can grasp the idea.

Without a doubt. A young child's brain is not ready to handle certain concepts which it will be fully capable of handling a little later.

Quote:There is also a history of philosophy. Unfortunately, many seem to think philosophy is a kind of bazaar where one can look for positions and opinions one might like to hold. That may be what many people do with it but that isn't philosophy.

If you stick to the real meaning of philosophy which is love for wisdom the you can not go wrong.
Where do you find wisdom?
In this physical dimension in which everything change all the time or in the inner consciousness where nothing change? Thinking

That doesn't seem like a meaningful distinction to me. Wisdom, meaning, knowledge and the like apply to mental processes. But those mental processes take place within a brain which finds its bearings through perception and cognition concerning the physical world. It isn't an either/or situation.
(November 17, 2013 at 3:27 pm)whateverist Wrote: I have no reason to think consciousness does not require a functional brain. I know you speculate that they are independent of one another but I've heard no reason to think that myself.

They will be totally independent when the body die not when you are alive unless you reach some degree of consciousness in that case you can separate the two and you can even see inside the now super famous box that everybody is talking about.:
In order to reach some or high degree of consciousness you got to work hard within. The road to the destination is long and it takes time to reach.

Quote:Without a doubt. A young child's brain is not ready to handle certain concepts which it will be fully capable of handling a little later.

Worship

Quote:Wisdom, meaning, knowledge and the like apply to mental processes. But those mental processes take place within a brain It isn't an either/or situation.

Knowledge can come either from outside or from within but wisdom is something more subtle and usually come from within.
I said usually because in some case may come from outside as well by trying to imitate people with wisdom.
Real wisdom does not have to be dependent on a brain.......... which finds its bearings through perception and cognition concerning the physical world..............as it reflect pure consciousness which again does not necessary depend on the brain functions.Wink Shades
(November 18, 2013 at 10:33 am)enrico Wrote: Knowledge can come either from outside or from within but wisdom is something more subtle and usually come from within.
I said usually because in some case may come from outside as well by trying to imitate people with wisdom.
Real wisdom does not have to be dependent on a brain.......... which finds its bearings through perception and cognition concerning the physical world..............as it reflect pure consciousness which again does not necessary depend on the brain functions.Wink Shades

Enrico, please just provide a link or something! We wan't evidence. You aren't providing any. I'm tired of reading your posts because all they contain is flat, bare assertions.
How do you know that consciousness does not depend on the brain?
'The more I learn about people the more I like my dog'- Mark Twain

'You can have all the faith you want in spirits, and the afterlife, and heaven and hell, but when it comes to this world, don't be an idiot. Cause you can tell me you put your faith in God to put you through the day, but when it comes time to cross the road, I know you look both ways.' - Dr House

“Young earth creationism is essentially the position that all of modern science, 90% of living scientists and 98% of living biologists, all major university biology departments, every major science journal, the American Academy of Sciences, and every major science organization in the world, are all wrong regarding the origins and development of life….but one particular tribe of uneducated, bronze aged, goat herders got it exactly right.” - Chuck Easttom

"If my good friend Doctor Gasparri speaks badly of my mother, he can expect to get punched.....You cannot provoke. You cannot insult the faith of others. You cannot make fun of the faith of others. There is a limit." - Pope Francis on freedom of speech

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A question about Dawkins enemies of reason documentary Quill01 3 487 April 17, 2022 at 5:25 pm
Last Post: Belacqua
  The reason religion is so powerful Macoleco 344 22640 June 30, 2021 at 11:43 am
Last Post: Abaddon_ire
  Reason Jesus must have been a real person mrj 74 10326 March 5, 2021 at 6:44 am
Last Post: arewethereyet
  "How God got started", how god belief + basic reason + writing -> modern humans? Whateverist 26 6777 October 15, 2017 at 12:12 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Another Reason Christians are Dangerous Rhondazvous 49 7793 February 5, 2017 at 8:55 am
Last Post: Mr Greene
  Important theological question for creationists Alex K 2 682 November 27, 2016 at 12:51 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists Have the Most Logical Reason for being Moral Rhondazvous 24 7413 January 22, 2016 at 6:49 pm
Last Post: Reforged
  The only important reason I'm more powerful than god. Foxaèr 5 1971 November 13, 2015 at 4:24 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  The reason humans believe drfuzzy 31 5897 October 10, 2015 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  Atheism is the absence of reason.. Vault Boy 49 11258 August 6, 2015 at 12:30 pm
Last Post: JesusHChrist