Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 7:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 1 Average
What would you consider to be evidence for God?
RE: What would you consider to be evidence for God?
I hope that you are at least on medication, unlike the one who goes off it all the time.
"Never trust a fox. Looks like a dog, behaves like a cat."
~ Erin Hunter
(May 30, 2016 at 11:53 pm)carusmm Wrote:
(May 30, 2016 at 11:51 pm)Maelstrom Wrote: I'm glad you fixed it.

One is never really cured of schizophrenia.
Can you tickle yourself?  If you can't then you don't have schizophrenia.
Actually, you can tickle yourself. Just brush the tip of your tongue over the roof of your mouth. Better yet, get someone else to do it.

Then get someone to do it to me.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Quote:FatAndFaithlessI have no idea what would convince me that God exists.  But if he does exist, he would know exactly what it would take to convince me.  I'm just waiting to be presented with said evidence.

Or, he knows you arent ready for the evidence to know he exists, because you decided coming into this life to believe as you do, to know what it's like to be on your own, completely detached. So when you do come upon the evidence that is all too convincing, you can have the aesthetic experience as a contrast of knowing what's it's like to be one with all. For you can't know what goodness is without the bad, you can't have light without the darkness. You can't know what love is, without a broken heart, nor true depth of who you are in relation to the cosmos and god without the complete reverse side of being whole with the vastness of all, without the mindset and experience of being utterly separate from it all and not even believing that it's there.
That is quite literally insane.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(June 1, 2016 at 12:01 am)Blueyedlion Wrote:
Quote:FatAndFaithlessI have no idea what would convince me that God exists.  But if he does exist, he would know exactly what it would take to convince me.  I'm just waiting to be presented with said evidence.

Or, he knows you arent ready for the evidence to know he exists, because you decided coming into this life to believe as you do, to know what it's like to be on your own, completely detached. So when you do come upon the evidence that is all too convincing, you can have the aesthetic experience as a contrast of knowing what's it's like to be one with all. For you can't know what goodness is without the bad, you can't have light without the darkness. You can't know what love is, without a broken heart, nor true depth of who you are in relation to the cosmos and god without the complete reverse side of being whole with the vastness of all, without the mindset and experience of being utterly separate from it all and not even believing that it's there.

So just saying there is evidence but you aren't going to say what is not convincing in the slightest bit you know.

You can fix ignorance, you can't fix stupid.

Tinkety Tonk and down with the Nazis.

(June 1, 2016 at 5:06 am)Stimbo Wrote: That is quite literally insane.

Can you expand on that and explain why it's insane?
(April 22, 2016 at 1:05 am)robvalue Wrote: Can you hear yourself? "My book says ... so it must be true." Can you seriously not see a problem with such a statement?

No, it's possible Darwin could be right about some things and wrong about others. If he "had enough evidence" for whatever God, it has not been preserved for us to examine. A quote from him, in context or otherwise, is not evidence of anything but his state of mind.

We don't believe (some of) his ideas just because he said them. We believe them because they have passed scrutiny. And I should note that his models of evolution have been significantly improved upon in the mean time. Again, by scientific testing. Not by appeals to authority.
Well, just no other way to say this: Abiogenesis has been dealt a death blow. It turns out the DNA module is not stable as formerly thought but is in need of continuously repair and maintenance which is performed by the cell itself. This means that the DNA and the cell couldn’t have arisen independent of each other; the cell repairs the DNA, and the DNA preserves the cell’s genetics by copying the original (after repairs, if needed) via cell division.
“The reason our genetic material does not disintegrate into complete chemical chaos is that a host of molecular systems continuously monitor and repair DNA. The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2015 awards three pioneering scientists who have mapped how several of these repair systems function at a detailed molecular level”.* C'est la vie evolution, you been found wanting.

*http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/c...press.html
Atheist Credo: An universe by chance that also just happened to admit the observer by chance.
(June 8, 2016 at 11:55 pm)snowtracks Wrote:
(April 22, 2016 at 1:05 am)robvalue Wrote: Can you hear yourself? "My book says ... so it must be true." Can you seriously not see a problem with such a statement?

No, it's possible Darwin could be right about some things and wrong about others. If he "had enough evidence" for whatever God, it has not been preserved for us to examine. A quote from him, in context or otherwise, is not evidence of anything but his state of mind.

We don't believe (some of) his ideas just because he said them. We believe them because they have passed scrutiny. And I should note that his models of evolution have been significantly improved upon in the mean time. Again, by scientific testing. Not by appeals to authority.
Well, just no other way to say this: Abiogenesis has been dealt a death blow. It turns out the DNA module is not stable as formerly thought but is in need of continuously repair and maintenance which is performed by the cell itself. This means that the DNA and the cell couldn’t have arisen independent of each other; the cell repairs the DNA, and the DNA preserves the cell’s genetics by copying the original (after repairs, if needed) via cell division.
“The reason our genetic material does not disintegrate into complete chemical chaos is that a host of molecular systems continuously monitor and repair DNA. The Nobel Prize in Chemistry 2015 awards three pioneering scientists who have mapped how several of these repair systems function at a detailed molecular level”.* C'est la vie evolution, you been found wanting.

*http://www.nobelprize.org/nobel_prizes/c...press.html

Please tell me you're not that dumb...

Abiogenesis and Evolution are not the same process. Demonstrating a problem with the previously conceived hypotheses about Abiogenesis does exactly fuck-all toward disproving the Theory of Evolution.

Also, Abiogenesis does not have to start at DNA. In fact, I'm pretty sure that when I was in highschool (over 10 years ago) they were already telling us that RNA most likely came before DNA, seeing as how it's more common, single-stranded, and is sometimes used to build and repair DNA. DNA is comprised of naturally occurring materials and is formed and replicated by naturally occurring processes. The fact that it is maintained by a bunch of (also natural) cellular activity does not even begin to prove that it requires supernatural intervention to exist.
Verbatim from the mouth of Jesus (retranslated from a retranslation of a copy of a copy):

"Do not judge, or you too will be judged. For in the same way you judge others, you too will be judged, and with the measure you use, it will be measured to you. How can you see your brother's head up his ass when your own vision is darkened by your head being even further up your ass? How can you say to your brother, 'Get your head out of your ass,' when all the time your head is up your own ass? You hypocrite! First take your head out of your own ass, and then you will see clearly who has his head up his ass and who doesn't." Matthew 7:1-5 (also Luke 6: 41-42)

Also, I has a website: www.RedbeardThePink.com
Abiogenesis is not evolution...

How many times can we say it I wonder?
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? Sicnoo0 58 4443 February 25, 2024 at 1:04 am
Last Post: Nay_Sayer
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 11861 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  The Historical Evidence for the Resurrection of Jesus Christ. Nishant Xavier 38 2570 August 7, 2023 at 10:24 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  When were the Gospels Written? The External and Internal Evidence. Nishant Xavier 62 3435 August 6, 2023 at 10:25 pm
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1742 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
  Isaiah 53, 700 B.C: Historical Evidence of the Divine Omniscience. Nishant Xavier 91 4938 August 6, 2023 at 2:19 pm
  Conscience and the Moral Argument as Evidence for the Goodness of God. Nishant Xavier 162 8320 July 9, 2023 at 7:53 am
Last Post: Deesse23
  Signature in the Cell: DNA as Evidence for Design, beside Nature's Laws/Fine-Tuning. Nishant Xavier 54 2943 July 8, 2023 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Why the resurrection accounts are not evidence LinuxGal 5 1067 October 29, 2022 at 2:01 pm
  Can you consider Atheism an ethnicity UniverseCaptain 31 2914 September 27, 2021 at 7:23 pm
Last Post: UniverseCaptain