Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 2:57 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is personal identity really just mind?
RE: Is personal identity really just mind?
(January 30, 2016 at 2:25 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: An excellent relevant piece about what makes you, you. Pretty long, but interesting if you have the time.

Quote:When you say the word “me,” you probably feel pretty clear about what that means. It’s one of the things you’re clearest on in the whole world—something you’ve understood since you were a year old. You might be working on the question, “Who am I?” but what you’re figuring out is the who am part of the question—the part is obvious. It’s just you. Easy.

But when you stop and actually think about it for a minute—about what “me” really boils down to at its core—things start to get pretty weird. Let’s give it a try:

http://waitbutwhy.com/2014/12/what-makes-you-you.html

This is really good. Thanks.
The "bridge" problem is this: if their are 2 unique substances, then how do they interact?

Let's say I have a brain and a mind, and they are unique.  How does the brain let the mind know what's happening, and how does the mind influence the brain?  There needs to be a mediating mechanism:  substance "brainmind."  But what would a bridge between 2 so totally different substances consist of?  The soul?  Nah. . . in what way would that have roots in either the mind OR the body ?

Nope.  The dualist position requires God, He Who Make Possible What Is Impossible.  Now things are easy:

[Image: UnderpantsGnomesPlan.jpg]
God has always been the special ingredient which makes poo digestible.
God = yeast!

Jesus must have been made of self raising flour?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(January 30, 2016 at 8:38 pm)MysticKnight Wrote:
(January 30, 2016 at 2:25 pm)Catholic_Lady Wrote: An excellent relevant piece about what makes you, you. Pretty long, but interesting if you have the time.

This is really good. Thanks.

Yeah, its pretty awesome. It's definitely a mind f*ck too. You think of things you hand't thought of before.
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(January 30, 2016 at 8:00 pm)Whateverist the White Wrote:

Thanks.  I've enjoyed other articles on that site.  Just scanned it and will read it more closely soon.

Yep, as you well know I'm a fan of Wait But Why. Good stuff!  Smile
"Of course, everyone will claim they respect someone who tries to speak the truth, but in reality, this is a rare quality. Most respect those who speak truths they agree with, and their respect for the speaking only extends as far as their realm of personal agreement. It is less common, almost to the point of becoming a saintly virtue, that someone truly respects and loves the truth seeker, even when their conclusions differ wildly." 

-walsh
(January 30, 2016 at 2:21 pm)BrianSoddingBoru4 Wrote:
(January 30, 2016 at 12:57 pm)Irrational Wrote: That would depend on what one believes constitutes "you".

Which is what I'm trying to find out by asking the question.

Boru

My point is that this is best answered by accepting that the self is a construct, an illusion. You can't theoretically pinpoint what the self is exactly.
Would you be comfortable accepting that God is a construct. An illusion?
No God, No fear.
Know God, Know fear.
(January 31, 2016 at 1:30 am)ignoramus Wrote: Would you be comfortable accepting that God is a construct. An illusion?

Sure. I'm an atheist, remember?
I suppose it all comes down to perception or reality and not reality. Hell, I could self identify as a Spanish speaking squirrel with a learning disability, trapped in a white man's body who doesn't speak a word of Spanish, hence the learning disability.

Then we have Bruce Jenner that suddenly defines himself as a woman named Caitlyn. Delusional in my opinion, but to each their own.

There's also an example of a woman that could see, but self identified as a blind person, so her psychologist poured drain cleaner in her eyes to blind her so she could live her life as she felt she identified with. In my opinion she's crazy, and her psychologist should lose their license. What the hell is going on in this world?!

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/health/articl...-ever.html
Exclamation 
Hey, I'm new here. For me, I feel/think that "personal identity" is part genetics and partly your own personal journey through life.
From birth we naturally carry genetic traits that we receive from both of our parents. Whether or not  you ever knew your real parents you still receive parts of their personality, mannerism's, facial expression's ect.  But this is only the  beginning. From there you actually collectively "collect" thought's and idea's over time from preschool, t.v. and whomever you associate with. Your base is what you were taught as a child. However, some people change their way's and thought's about certain idea's through the conviction of others. Life itself is a journey. We are drawn to certain idea's or thought's because they either feel reasonable to us or because they bring us some kind of comfort. Everyone wants to know what they are doing here on Earth ,well, as far as I can tell. I spent most of my life searching for answers. Alot of those answer's have been revealed to me after I went through Cancer and my mom passed away also from Cancer.  So those are my thought's.  Anyway,  like I said this is my first post.  I give a lot of thought to the question's in life before assuming anything. Let me know if my answer has helped sort out your thought's in any way?  Ena

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Understanding the rudiment has much to give helps free that mind for further work. highdimensionman 16 1107 May 24, 2022 at 6:31 am
Last Post: highdimensionman
  [Serious] Questions about Belief and Personal Identity Neo-Scholastic 27 1835 June 11, 2021 at 8:28 pm
Last Post: arewethereyet
  How to change a mind Aroura 0 285 July 30, 2018 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Aroura
  The Philosophy of Mind: Zombies, "radical emergence" and evidence of non-experiential Edwardo Piet 82 12085 April 29, 2018 at 1:57 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Mind from the Inside bennyboy 46 6006 September 18, 2016 at 10:18 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  What God is to the Universe is what your mind is to your body fdesilva 172 19059 August 23, 2016 at 7:33 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Mind is the brain? Mystic 301 29494 April 19, 2016 at 6:09 pm
  How is a personal god different from an anthropomorphic god? Pizza 36 5999 January 1, 2016 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Pizza
  Proof Mind is Fundamental and Matter Doesn't Exist Rational AKD 348 80067 October 22, 2015 at 6:34 pm
  Mind Over Matter? emjay 70 14911 April 12, 2015 at 9:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger