Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 10, 2024, 12:42 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are Dark Mtter and Consciousness different from Spirit?
RE: How are Dark Mtter and Consciousness different from Spirit?
(February 9, 2016 at 2:32 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: Aside from the fact that you still haven't given a reason for discrediting the hypothesis, pointing to other hypotheses that are about different things than the current discussion and discrediting them does nothing to further your argument.  It's attacking a straw man at best.
My apologies, I thought I made it obvious.  Soul or spirit -as animating force- does not explain what it purports to describe, and something else, something demonstrable....metabolism, does.  Is there some more complete way that a hypothetical can be discredited?  Not only have the proponents of spirits or souls as such failed to describe how this -would- work to begin with, how spirit would animate, the observation to which it was proposed as a hypothetical has been explained by other, demonstrable, means.  

You feel that I haven't addressed some specific example to which soul or spirit can be raised as a hypothetical, but that doesn't mean I've given you no reason, or that I've pitched an ounce of straw.  You'd simply rather discuss some other type of spirit or soul.  There are many.     

Quote:Are you suggesting we are observing consciousness when we observe the metabolism of the brain?  That's a bold claim.  It's too bad you really have nothing to back it up with other than your say so.  I can do that too:   Is not!
Not sure why you'd think I'd suggested that.  I do think we are observing consciousness when we  observe the brain, however.  I see it as direct observation, you might see it as indirect.  I was willing to roll with that, as I made explicit in my comments.  It doesn't matter much to me or my summary of the difference between the three.    

Quote:And all of that evidence is inconclusive and largely a product of the interpretation laid upon it.  More "because I said so" evidence.  Simply because you interpret an effect upon consciousness as stemming from the brain does not make it so when the evidence is ambiguous.
You're responding as though I had not simply accepted your comments in their entirety for purpose of conversation.  Read my comment again.  

"All of that evidence" is all I commented upon.  You may think that it does not pass the bar for x (and as I already said, I can run with that), but it remains a fact that for consciousness we have "all of that evidence" and for spirit....we have as yet unspoken hypotheticals and previously discredited hypotheticals.  
Quote:You're writing a check that your ego can't cash.  No way can you demonstrate that consciousness is the metabolism of the brain and that's all there is to that.  As far as indirect evidence, the evidence that something is interacting with the brain which is conscious is pretty much the same evidence that points to the brain being the source of consciousness, and that's behavior.  And behavior won't get you to the goal of "it's brain metabolism."  If it had, you would be giving me evidence of this metabolic process called consciousness in the brain instead of distracting with red herrings about prior uses of the word 'spirit'.

The trouble, Jorg, is that you've gone off the rails with the metabolism bit.  I said nothing of the sort.  Now that, lol...is how you pitch straw.   Wink

Prior(and current; some -still- believe it is "soul" or "spirit" that animates us, rather than our metabolism) uses of the spirit/soul hypothetical aren't a distraction, they speak to the OP question.  They just don't interest you, apparently.  So you're 0 for 2 on logical fallacy bingo this post.  Is there some sense or use or meaning under wich the terms spirit or soul seem useful to you, something other than the type of misattribution I've been expressing?  I'm game for that, but what is it?
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: How are Dark Mtter and Consciousness different from Spirit? - by The Grand Nudger - February 9, 2016 at 4:43 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dark matter vs. MOND LinuxGal 3 595 August 23, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Rethinking Dark Matter/Dark energy.... Brian37 11 2571 January 26, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Newest super-sensitive test failed to catch a Dark Matter particle. Why? theBorg 40 6334 August 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  A dark bulb ErGingerbreadMandude 29 3132 July 11, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: Jake Long
  Could this explian what Dark matter and Dark energy is? Blueyedlion 49 7616 June 13, 2016 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Does Dark Matter give merit to the Bible? wolfclan96 29 7817 March 19, 2015 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Can Dark Matter be the energy source of the future - a rough estimate Alex K 2 1713 March 19, 2014 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Why is it Dark at Night? Kayenneh 5 2098 October 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Score one for dark matter popeyespappy 6 2288 January 11, 2012 at 1:05 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  No dark matter? Welsh cake 68 23271 September 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: little_monkey