Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 4:16 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are Dark Mtter and Consciousness different from Spirit?
RE: How are Dark Mtter and Consciousness different from Spirit?
(February 9, 2016 at 12:01 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote:
(February 8, 2016 at 7:05 pm)Rhythm Wrote: Right off the bat, there is an implied parity of observational weight or volume (and nature) between the three that isn't representative of the actual situation.  

Consciousness is not hypothetical, and is directly -and- indirectly observed to such an extent that it's inclusion in this list of three seems absurd.

Dark matter is an open hypothetical, and is indirectly observed.

Spirit is a thoroughly discredited hypothetical, that has never been directly or indirectly observed - and worse, a hypothetical whose purpose for existence has long since yielded to more accurate and factual explanations.

Yes, but why is it discredited?  Saying that it is discredited without giving a reason why is just an argument from consensus.  And I would have to disagree with your assertion about consciousness.  If by observed we mean witnessed by our perceptual systems, consciousness as a brain process has never been observed directly.   That places the hypothesis that consciousness is a brain process in the same category as the explanations that involve dark matter.  There is indirect evidence, but no direct observation.   Which is the same situation in which the hypothesis about spirits and souls is in — there is indirect evidence but no direct observation.  So your tripartite scheme collapses into itself.

I gave kudos to those who grappled honestly with the question. The rejection of the possibility of spirit is based on the fact that it is not defined, has never been observed. To ignore the fact that the same is true of dark matter is not the way a scientist would deal with the question. Scientist believe that one day they will be able to observe dark matter. And one day, the theists tell us, god will reveal himself, meanwhile you just have to believe that god/dark matter is there for some reason other than direct observation.
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Messages In This Thread
RE: How are Dark Mtter and Consciousness different from Spirit? - by Rhondazvous - February 9, 2016 at 5:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dark matter vs. MOND LinuxGal 3 593 August 23, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Rethinking Dark Matter/Dark energy.... Brian37 11 2561 January 26, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Newest super-sensitive test failed to catch a Dark Matter particle. Why? theBorg 40 6305 August 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  A dark bulb ErGingerbreadMandude 29 3103 July 11, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: Jake Long
  Could this explian what Dark matter and Dark energy is? Blueyedlion 49 7575 June 13, 2016 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Does Dark Matter give merit to the Bible? wolfclan96 29 7804 March 19, 2015 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Can Dark Matter be the energy source of the future - a rough estimate Alex K 2 1712 March 19, 2014 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Why is it Dark at Night? Kayenneh 5 2093 October 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Score one for dark matter popeyespappy 6 2279 January 11, 2012 at 1:05 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  No dark matter? Welsh cake 68 23229 September 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: little_monkey