Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 29, 2024, 2:46 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
How are Dark Mtter and Consciousness different from Spirit?
RE: How are Dark Mtter and Consciousness different from Spirit?
(February 9, 2016 at 7:48 pm)Jörmungandr Wrote: I think you're on crack.  If you don't see any difference between what we see in the brain and consciousness, then you're not looking very hard.
Okay, and I appreciate your opinion... but it wasn't something that mattered to me or my summary....so thats probably why, for the very last time, I accepted your comments from the outset for the purpose of discussion. Call it indirect evidence, call it insufficient evidence, it is still evidence, which is more than we have for soul. Call it an incomplete explanation, call it interpretation, that is still more than we have for soul - which is merely the claim absent of either explanation or interpretation.

Quote:You keep claiming that this metabolism is a better explanation, but I don't see any actual explaining.  Just repetition of the same vapid claim.  At present, both spirit and the brain explain consciousness equally well, which is to say poorly.   Any supposed discrediting of the one hypothesis by the other is solely a product of your imagination.  But enlighten me.  How does the brain explain consciousness?
Yes, I keep making the claim that metabolism  is a better explanation -for the observation of an animating force- than spirits or soul.   Because it is.  I can't say I agree with you on the relative status of brain and soul/spirit as they relate to the question of consciousness.  We have an idea of how the brain works, and how that fits into the consciousness question.  I do not have an idea how spirit/soul works and how it fits the question of consciousness - if soul/spirit even exist to begin with (not a question when it comes to brain, eh)...until you (or someone, anyone) provide me with one.   There does not seem, to me, to be the sort of parity you've claimed between them, however poorly you think brain is as an explanation...no one has done the work for soul that's been done for brain, and there is at least no open question of it's very existence. Open to me, mind you, closed to you, by presupposition...apparently.

I think that spirit/soul consciousness is misattribution, same as spirit/soul animating force was, and on top of that it's just as bankrupt as it's -ever- been as an hypothetical explanation for -x-. A placeholder for nothing. This, to my mind, discredits -any- hypothetical.

@ Rhonda Plenty of atheists either believe in spirit or would accept it as a hypothetical explanation. Buddhists and dualists, and even material monists for the purposes of discussion, for example. Exploring spirit, for me, has left me with the opinion that as it's used, -fundamentally-, it's a running argument from ignorance. Nothing more....regardless of any gods or even the existence of spirit. Or, to put it another way, it's no more involved in metabolism (or, imo, consciousness) if it does exist than it is if it doesn't.
I am the Infantry. I am my country’s strength in war, her deterrent in peace. I am the heart of the fight… wherever, whenever. I carry America’s faith and honor against her enemies. I am the Queen of Battle. I am what my country expects me to be, the best trained Soldier in the world. In the race for victory, I am swift, determined, and courageous, armed with a fierce will to win. Never will I fail my country’s trust. Always I fight on…through the foe, to the objective, to triumph overall. If necessary, I will fight to my death. By my steadfast courage, I have won more than 200 years of freedom. I yield not to weakness, to hunger, to cowardice, to fatigue, to superior odds, For I am mentally tough, physically strong, and morally straight. I forsake not, my country, my mission, my comrades, my sacred duty. I am relentless. I am always there, now and forever. I AM THE INFANTRY! FOLLOW ME!

Messages In This Thread
RE: How are Dark Mtter and Consciousness different from Spirit? - by The Grand Nudger - February 9, 2016 at 8:42 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dark matter vs. MOND LinuxGal 3 593 August 23, 2023 at 8:07 pm
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  Rethinking Dark Matter/Dark energy.... Brian37 11 2561 January 26, 2018 at 7:50 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  Newest super-sensitive test failed to catch a Dark Matter particle. Why? theBorg 40 6305 August 21, 2016 at 2:13 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  A dark bulb ErGingerbreadMandude 29 3103 July 11, 2016 at 2:09 pm
Last Post: Jake Long
  Could this explian what Dark matter and Dark energy is? Blueyedlion 49 7575 June 13, 2016 at 10:28 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  Does Dark Matter give merit to the Bible? wolfclan96 29 7804 March 19, 2015 at 11:15 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Can Dark Matter be the energy source of the future - a rough estimate Alex K 2 1712 March 19, 2014 at 6:24 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Why is it Dark at Night? Kayenneh 5 2093 October 6, 2012 at 2:16 pm
Last Post: Kayenneh
  Score one for dark matter popeyespappy 6 2279 January 11, 2012 at 1:05 am
Last Post: popeyespappy
  No dark matter? Welsh cake 68 23229 September 9, 2011 at 5:10 pm
Last Post: little_monkey