Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 28, 2024, 5:06 am

Thread Rating:
  • 1 Vote(s) - 5 Average
Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist?
(November 26, 2016 at 8:04 pm)Balaco Wrote:
(November 26, 2016 at 4:06 am)robvalue Wrote: I identify as an atheist to try and further break the taboo, to break preconceptions, to support fellow atheists, and to simply be honest. The more "out" atheists there are, the easier it is for the next one to come out, and the harder it is to oppress atheists.

All of the above. Anecdotes are highly unreliable evidence anyway. At best they only tell you what people believe happened. No one is an authority on identifying and classifying miracles. People just find something they consider very out of the ordinary and proclaim, "It's a miracle".

It's a problem of definition. What is a miracle anyway? If it's meant to be God intervening, that means that it's essentially him changing his plan "on the go". Why would he need to do that? If his plan was perfect, it would need no alteration.

And how do you identify one? It's always the argument from ignorance fallacy. People say, "How else do you explain it?" It's irrelevant whether or not I, or anyone else, can explain it. Again, I simply say "I don't know". I don't know what actually happened, or what the explanation is. It doesn't give free license to make up your own explanation without evidence. So what is a miracle? If it's just an unexplained event, then just call it that. No need to assume "God did it". If it's "breaking the laws of nature", then that is an equivocation fallacy, just like with the supernatural in general. We attempt to describe the laws of nature; at no point can we prescribe them. I have a video about this. (I was trying out an angry persona at the time Tongue You can skip to 1:00 if you don't want to hear me screwing around at the start.)

Watched through most of the video. Well presented, I'm gathering atheists generally view "supernatural" events or miracles as events that, aside from potentially being lies/distortions of reality thanks to our minds, may simply be out of the windows/models of logic that the religious create.

Looking at this objectively, it seems like belief in these events is another concept that the religious are inclined to believe and defend. Something out of the ordinary may happen, and the minds of the religious are conditioned to feel like it's due to God's intervention. I may bring these points up with some Catholics and share what their defense is.

Thanks for checking it out Smile Good analysis, yes! By all means, I'll be interested to see if there's any cogent defence. I'm always interested in one, I'd actually enjoy one, but they never come.

(November 26, 2016 at 9:10 pm)Balaco Wrote: I'll ask the Catholic Forum I've been using if it's cool to link this thread there. Definitely would be interesting to see more theists in the mix here.

More theists like you, for sure!
Feel free to send me a private message.
Please visit my website here! It's got lots of information about atheism/theism and support for new atheists.

Index of useful threads and discussions
Index of my best videos
Quickstart guide to the forum

Messages In This Thread
RE: Atheists, tell me, a Roman Catholic: why should I become an atheist? - by robvalue - November 26, 2016 at 9:23 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1954 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Dr. Bill Craig's Debates: Why do Atheists lose/run away from debating him? Nishant Xavier 123 8246 August 6, 2023 at 4:22 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  360 Million Christians Suffering Persecution: why arent Atheists helping? Nishant Xavier 48 2249 July 16, 2023 at 10:05 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Atheists, if God doesnt exist, then explain why Keanu Reeves looks like Jesus Christ Frakki 9 1085 April 1, 2023 at 4:07 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Atheists will worship the Antichrist and become theists during the Tribulation Preacher 53 3463 November 13, 2022 at 3:57 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Athiest parent sending child to Catholic school EchoEllis 36 5331 December 2, 2021 at 10:24 am
Last Post: brewer
  Atheists: I have tips of advice why you are a hated non religious dogmatic group inUS Rinni92 13 2924 August 5, 2020 at 3:43 pm
Last Post: Sal
  Atheists: Why did female with fat butts and short legs exist? Lambe7 14 2032 July 30, 2020 at 7:17 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  [Serious] Why I consider Atheists the Dumbest of the Dumb theMadJW 63 8443 May 13, 2020 at 12:07 am
Last Post: Draconic Aiur
Lightbulb Here is why you should believe in God. R00tKiT 112 14120 April 11, 2020 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie