Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 5:53 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Something Just for the AF family
RE: Something Just for the AF damily
Where's the Hasty Generalization option for the first one? Hehe.

Haven't finished the test yet.

Some of them I feel are more than one fallacy or I have to put "none of the above" or "non-sequitur" because I can't find what I'm looking for.

"This came after that so this happened because of that"

Not heard of this fallacy before, lol.

I'm sure there must be a name for that fallacy. It's basically mistaking a temporal sequence for causation.

"We know God exists because the Bible says so. what the Bible says about God is true because the Bible is the inspired word of God"

This does eventually beg the question of how either of those premises are true but more specifically it's circular reasoning. Begging the question as a logical fallacy would be more like "The Bible is true because it is." or "The Bible is true because it's accurate".... but that begs the question of why its accurate "Oh it's accurate because it's not wrong".

If you assume a premise based on nothing and answer it with another premise that is identical to or synonymous with the first one then that's the Question Begging fallacy. If you answer it with a premise that may be completely different but then answer that premise with the first one then that's the Circular Reasoning fallacy.

"Scientists want us to believe complex life just magically put itself together. I tell you, if I put the pieces of a watch in a bag with a few sparks of electricity and shake it up and down for a few billion years, I will not hear it tick. So evolution is absurd."

This one would be False Analogy.

"Our Church takes hot meals to the elderly and the sick every Thanksgiving and we have a special offering for the Meals on Wheels program in our town. We shouldn't be judged negatively because of a few bad apples."

This one is a form of the Nivana Fallacy. More specifically this particular form of the Nirvana Fallacy is like the Perfect Solution Fallacy but it's in a negative rather than positive form. Basically "Oh we're not completely bad therefore we're not bad at all" is the same form as "If we can't find the perfect solution then we shouldn't bother at all".

"The Bible says Jesus hair was as white as lamb's wool. Lamb's wool is kinky. So Jesus was black."

All I can say about this one is LOL.

I'm guessing you don't mean "kinky" like the way I usually use the word, lol.

I can't fault this one:

"If you didn't vote for Clinton you're a Trump supporter."

It is indeed False Dilemma/ False Dichotomy.

Messages In This Thread
Something Just for the AF family - by Rhondazvous - January 25, 2017 at 6:01 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by brewer - January 25, 2017 at 6:09 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Tiberius - January 25, 2017 at 6:10 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Tiberius - January 25, 2017 at 6:45 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Rhondazvous - January 25, 2017 at 7:11 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Tiberius - January 26, 2017 at 9:45 am
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Edwardo Piet - January 25, 2017 at 7:05 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Rhondazvous - January 25, 2017 at 8:13 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Angrboda - January 25, 2017 at 7:45 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Edwardo Piet - January 26, 2017 at 12:01 am
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Rhondazvous - January 26, 2017 at 9:19 am
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Rhondazvous - January 26, 2017 at 2:46 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Rhondazvous - January 30, 2017 at 2:01 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Edwardo Piet - January 30, 2017 at 2:03 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Rhondazvous - January 31, 2017 at 7:17 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by Rhondazvous - February 24, 2017 at 9:18 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by J a c k - February 25, 2017 at 5:19 am
RE: Something Just for the AF damily - by The Valkyrie - February 26, 2017 at 4:29 am
RE: Something Just for the AF family - by Autumnlicious - February 26, 2017 at 1:27 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF family - by J a c k - February 26, 2017 at 2:10 pm
RE: Something Just for the AF family - by Rhondazvous - February 27, 2017 at 8:40 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do we get something special? Foxaèr 12 1681 May 21, 2021 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Possibly something wrong with rating? tackattack 5 1330 November 19, 2018 at 1:48 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  I want to post about a family member anonymously hogwash 24 4041 August 7, 2015 at 8:26 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  New forum subsection idea - Family & Parenting? Angrboda 15 3299 January 21, 2014 at 12:09 am
Last Post: c172
  Just something i noticed Mothonis 10 2966 September 17, 2013 at 7:19 am
Last Post: Mothonis