Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 17, 2024, 8:55 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience?
(January 1, 2019 at 10:50 am)bennyboy Wrote: Thoreauvian, you are enumerating the points of your world view.  Saying "X is good, so must be evolution" is not a particularly convincing argument for why the Universe has the capacity, under any material formation or process, of sustaining subjective experience.  Why, for example, couldn't things learn, interact, say stuff, make babies, and so on purely mechanically without ever really having qualia?

And more importantly, how am I to establish that isn't the case?

Alternately, how am I to determine that any of the things I take as real aren't just idealistic representations?  How do I know space is real, or anything of the objects in it or their properties?  By experiencing them as such, maybe?  That leads to a nasty circle-- if 100% of everything you base a theory of mind on is dependent on a world view you developed with that mind, you're going to have a problem establishing a foundation.  The Matrix might be feeding you mutually coherent data that represents no actual reality, or perhaps the Mind of God makes pure ideas seem like physical reality, or maybe Ulthar the Magnificent is poking your (Xarathrian, not human) brain with a hard-tipped boodledyboo in a jar somewhere because you've been dead for 10 Xarathrian days and the Ritual of Rezooberification is set to commence.

There are a variety of evolutionary strategies. Are you denying that consciousness is one of them?

We determine that the things we take to be real are real to whatever extent by taking a pragmatic, trial-and-error approach. That approach has given us science and logic, since they work. My construct of a mind in a body is based on observations, and my assertions regarding them are the simplest explanations in my opinion. They also have the benefit of avoiding the qualia problem of consciousness studies.

I am not a philosopher, and I don't think a philosopher's ideal of absolute knowledge is relevant to what is most probably correct. If you really think we are brains in vats, you have the burden of proof.

Messages In This Thread
RE: why do we enjoy poetry From the perspective of neuroscience? - by Alan V - January 1, 2019 at 11:49 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A different perspective Ahriman 222 11196 March 15, 2022 at 6:17 pm
Last Post: Ahriman
  Exploring orientation and playing with perspective. Arkilogue 2 753 October 1, 2016 at 3:50 pm
Last Post: Arkilogue
  Arguments for God from a purely philosophical perspective Aegon 13 3028 January 24, 2016 at 2:44 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My perspective on Cosmogony bearheart 8 1500 November 8, 2014 at 1:15 pm
Last Post: bearheart
  My perspective - truth or delusion? Mystic 22 11376 June 10, 2012 at 9:10 am
Last Post: genkaus
  Perspective and Belief Perhaps 20 9303 December 20, 2011 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Hoptoad