Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 26, 2024, 7:04 am

Poll: If a god were real, could this god create a married bachelor?
This poll is closed.
Yes, a real god would not be bound by logic
0%
0 0%
No, any real god would be bound by logic
100.00%
2 100.00%
Total 2 vote(s) 100%
* You voted for this item. [Show Results]

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off?
RE: If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off?
(January 8, 2024 at 12:19 am)Belacqua Wrote:
(January 7, 2024 at 11:52 pm)Sicnoo0 Wrote: what I really want to know more than all else is whether you believe any god could convince you that they're capable of creating a married bachelor, or other such oxymorons, assuming you would still have the ability to think logically

I guess since we're speculating, I have to say that MAYBE everything I know about logic is simply a local and contingent misunderstanding. Since I don't have the knowledge that (we imagine) God would have, I have to admit I might be entirely wrong. 

I guess where you and I disagree is that I believe you're being too charitable when you say "MAYBE everything I know about logic is simply a local and contingent misunderstanding. Since I don't have the knowledge that (we imagine) God would have, I have to admit I might be entirely wrong"

I, on the other hand, firmly believe there is zero chance that everything I think I know about logic can turn out to be a misunderstanding. Some of the more complicated things in logic, maybe, but not everything, because that would include things like the law of identity and the law of the excluded middle.

If a god tried to trick me into thinking he/she/it has produced a married bachelor, I would confidently hold to my belief that this is impossible.

This is where my concern with whether I'm being dogmatic comes in. Is my unwillingness to say that the most well-established laws of logic could be wrong a type of dogmatism?

I can see how it would be dogmatic to assume standard logic is the only logic that makes sense, and ignore quantum logic and many-valued logic. But that's outside the scope of what I want to ask questions about.

Messages In This Thread
RE: If you learned that the god of [insert religion] is real, would all bets be off? - by Sicnoo0 - January 8, 2024 at 12:46 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Dear Atheists: what would convince you God/Christ is Real? JJoseph 207 12176 February 12, 2024 at 1:51 am
Last Post: Goosebump
  Are god and religion ways of saying "screw you" to nature? ShinyCrystals 18 1047 January 8, 2024 at 12:27 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  World War I, religion died in the 20th century, science triumphed in religion in the Interaktive 35 4485 December 24, 2019 at 10:50 am
Last Post: Interaktive
  Which religion would be easiest for you if you had to be in one? Fake Messiah 31 3372 July 17, 2019 at 2:26 am
Last Post: Losty
  Atheists: What would you say to a dying child who asks you if they'll go to heaven? DodosAreDead 91 11602 November 2, 2018 at 9:07 pm
Last Post: LadyForCamus
  If you could replace god with satan, would you? Foxaèr 37 6629 April 28, 2018 at 10:02 pm
Last Post: Amarok
  I'd like to ask my fellow atheists if they would be happy to learn there was a god. Whateverist 88 16627 September 4, 2017 at 1:27 am
Last Post: Astonished
  Proof that God is not real? ComradeMeow 6 2536 August 5, 2017 at 9:45 pm
Last Post: Astonished
  I would believe in God if... Won2blv 65 8323 April 6, 2017 at 3:29 pm
Last Post: Jeanne
  Matt Dilahunty On What Would Change His Mind About God Edwardo Piet 14 5218 January 29, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Cyberman