Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 16, 2024, 10:44 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The 'First Nations' have some explaining to do
RE: The 'First Nations' have some explaining to do
(February 29, 2012 at 11:07 am)Rhythm Wrote: No, I understand. I'm not saying that having a hunch is a bad thing. I'm just wary of any claim that contains within it a reason as to why it cannot be proven (or implies so, if not making a direct claim).

For example, I can give you the bit about being buried underwater, we see that all the time (but we also find artifacts and remains underwater as well). Assuming that they made the trip, they would have followed the banks of a river when they came acrossed it, and so we would expect to find something, some bones, some artifact along those rivers (or where those rivers once were). The sea does not erase all traces of hominids elsewhere, so why are we assuming that it did in N. America? As an explanation for a lack of evidence? Unsatisfactory.

If they were gathering sea food (which was far easier, more productive [the whole family/tribe could partake], more nutritional, and much less risky than hunting game inland) there would have been plenty of reasons for not following rivers inland: too risky.

(February 29, 2012 at 11:07 am)Rhythm Wrote: (but we also find artifacts and remains underwater as well)

Hardly! Until now those are extremely rare finds. The era of underwater archaeology is only beginning. Bob Ballard paved the way.
But as underwater archaeology develops we will find more stuff, of course. We simply haven't found it yet. But that doesn't mean it's not there. In fact logic and circumstantial evidence tells us it must be there (if it wasn't eroded or perished)! It's just a matter of time before we identify it.

Messages In This Thread
RE: The 'First Nations' have some explaining to do - by Rokcet Scientist - February 29, 2012 at 11:40 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  I have some real politics for you. brokefree 6 554 June 10, 2021 at 1:48 am
Last Post: The Architect Of Fate
  "Idiot" Would Not Have Been My First Choice Minimalist 15 4074 July 10, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  Good job, Nebraska! I think I'll have some celebratory corn tonight. Alex K 8 1646 May 28, 2015 at 11:57 am
Last Post: Pyrrho
  Are the USA and China "peace-loving nations"? Aractus 16 4673 January 30, 2013 at 12:53 pm
Last Post: Question Mark
  Due process possibly being abolished. Article & Petition Explaining. Handprint 23 5914 December 14, 2011 at 8:12 pm
Last Post: Minimalist