Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 24, 2024, 6:31 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Please present positive arguments why you think atheism is true
RE: Please present positive arguments why you think atheism is true
(April 22, 2012 at 11:40 am)Stimbo Wrote: Other than our own consciences

so why do you have a conscience, but animals do not ?

http://www.cardinalnewmansociety.net/theology.html

Quote:"Man has within his breast a certain commanding dictate, not a mere sentiment, not a mere opinion or impression or view of things, but a law, an authoritative voice, bidding him do certain things and avoid others. I do not say that its particular injunctions are always clear, or that they are always consistent with each other; but what I am insisting on here is this, that it commands; that it praises, blames, it threatens, it implies a future, and it witnesses of the unseen. It is more than a man’s own self. The man himself has no power over it, or only with extreme difficulty; he did not make it, he cannot destroy it…. This is Conscience, and, from the nature of the case, its very existence carries our minds to a Being exterior to ourselves; for else, when did it come?..."

Quote:The combined forces of Britain, America, France, Russia, Australia, Belgium, Bolivia, Brazil, Canada, China, Denmark, Greece, Mexico, the Netherlands, New Zealand, Norway, Poland, South Africa and Yugoslavia. Not to mention all the brave men and women from Axis nations who chose to risk, and in many cases lose, their lives fighting for the Allied cause. (And I'm sure there are others around here more history-savvy than I am who are going to pounce on me mercilessly after this).

It was just their opinion, Hitler was wrong......

Quote:Really, this simplistic binary view of the world in terms of good/evil or black/white is both naïve and harmful. If it were shown to you, unequivocally and absolutely, that your god does not exist, to what depths of depravity would you sink?

To no depravity, since there could nothing be called so. If i held torturing ,raping ank killing a new born baby as morally excellent, nobody could tell me i am wrong, since that is just a subjective, different position of mine, different than yours. It would be just different, not better , or worse, since good and evil cannot exist if not prescribed.

================================================
God exist whether or not men may choose to believe in Him. The reason why many people do not believe in God is not so much that it is intellectually impossible to believe in God, but because belief in God forces that thoughtful person to face the fact that he is accountable to such a God. Robert A. Laidlaw

(April 22, 2012 at 11:40 am)tobie Wrote: You are the one making the claim, you need to provide evidence.

i have made no claim in my intructory post. I have just asked questions.

http://www3.telus.net/trbrooks/perfectproof.htm

Quote:Atheism is utterly destroyed and morally bankrupt because it has no answer to this prescient issue and never will. Ask an atheist what evidence he has for atheism? He will dodge the issue, spend an hour redefining atheism in multiple different conflicting ways and say he doesn't need a reason, because he just feels it in his burning bosom. Christians have a burning bosom of faith also, which certainly runs deeper with eternal life and the Holy Spirit within, but we don't say that is the sole reason. Our reasoning extends to many varied proofs for God (they are commonly cited among scholars as in Blackwell's Companion to Natural Theology). There is nothing new under the sun!

(April 22, 2012 at 2:18 pm)Voltair Wrote: There is no 100% proof that there is no such thing as a deity.

I know that. All i am asking, is to present good reasons to believe strong atheism is true. Why should strong atheism be a better explanation for our existence, than theism ?

Messages In This Thread
RE: Please present positive arguments why you think atheism is true - by Jireh - April 22, 2012 at 6:01 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Do you think Atheists are stupid? Authari 121 6067 January 4, 2024 at 7:35 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Do you think God is authoritarian? ShinyCrystals 65 3383 December 9, 2023 at 7:08 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  My take on one of the arguments about omnipotence ShinyCrystals 9 714 September 4, 2023 at 2:57 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Is Atheism a Religion? Why or why not? Nishant Xavier 91 5276 August 6, 2023 at 1:38 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  A "meta-argument" against all future arguments for God's existence ? R00tKiT 225 17133 April 17, 2022 at 2:11 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
Star A positive identity for atheists - Crusading Faithful Atheism Duty 95 6615 February 27, 2022 at 1:41 am
Last Post: Duty
  Atheists, do you think Florence Nightingale was a way better person than that fraud Kimbu42 6 1009 October 11, 2021 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 26399 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
  Arguments Against Creator God GrandizerII 77 19237 November 16, 2019 at 9:38 am
  What do you think of LGBTQ2? SlimePumper 58 7272 February 18, 2019 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Agnostico