Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: June 11, 2024, 3:58 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Is hatred ever a productive thing to have?
RE: Is hatred ever a productive thing to have?
(March 17, 2013 at 10:04 am)festive1 Wrote: I would say that anger can be very useful. Hatred… not so much. Why do we hate an individual? I suspect that at least some of the time (and probably closer to most of the time) it is because we recognize parts of ourselves in that individual, normally parts that we try to squash, change, or contain. Therefore, isn't hating an individual a projection of our dissatisfaction with a part or parts of ourself? This is not always the case, but in instances where it is, we should examine the details of why we feel this way. Self-hatred is not good and leads to negative modes of thinking and actions. The most mean, hateful people I know are very unhappy with themselves.

It has been suggested that this is why we have such intense hatred for members of our own family, and especially our parents. In them, we see ourselves, and especially those parts of ourselves that we don't like or are uncomfortable with. There may be other reasons for the intensity among family, but this is certainly an important element. If my experience is any indicator, we focus much of our energies over our lifetimes simply trying to rid ourselves of what we saw as faults in our parents. My mother was a hoarder, my father controlling and distant, and my sisters are always late. Struggles with these issues have defined my life. A friend who had never seen my apartment came over one day and saw the shelves filled with things and casually remarked, "Oh, you're a collector." She didn't mean anything by it of course, but to me it was felt as a deeply wounding remark.

That still leaves the question somewhat threadbare though. Surely this in some small measure it explains what we hate in certain instances, but not why we hate. (And it seems a different breed of hate than say that expressed in bigotry or racism.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qahT62n8tcA

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]

Messages In This Thread
Is hatred ever a productive thing to have? - by justin - March 6, 2013 at 4:59 pm
RE: Is hatred ever a productive thing to have? - by Angrboda - March 17, 2013 at 2:48 pm
RE: Is hatred ever a productive thing to have? - by justin - March 22, 2013 at 10:02 am
RE: Is hatred ever a productive thing to have? - by Violet - March 23, 2013 at 12:56 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hatred Harris 132 15577 March 12, 2017 at 7:47 am
Last Post: GUBU
  Are stigmas and and prejudices, inherently based on fear, ignorance and hatred? WisdomOfTheTrees 26 5311 February 8, 2017 at 10:25 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Necessary Thing Ignorant 204 22115 April 24, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  Hatred: Too good to give up? Ashground 23 4993 June 21, 2015 at 7:31 pm
Last Post: popsthebuilder
  One thing I find encouraging on here! vodkafan 143 19436 August 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
Lightbulb Why do we look at death as a bad thing? FractalEternalWheel 30 4939 March 18, 2014 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  Individualism, the worst thing to come from religion. I and I 21 5569 December 26, 2013 at 10:34 pm
Last Post: TaraJo
Question One thing that makes you doubt your own world view? Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 2817 July 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Something completely different
  Is there such a thing as choice ? Rwandrall 21 5352 June 8, 2011 at 9:14 am
Last Post: Zenith