Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 12:37 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Individualism, the worst thing to come from religion.
Yeah yeah I know, the belief in strange stories of things coming from nothing are extremely fucking stupid but these beliefs are shared outside if religion as well so they aren't directly a result of religion. However, individualism came directly from the ass of religion, yet many pretend atheists jizz all over themselves when speaking about individualism, watch the defense and outrage at the criticism of individualism by the atheists here.

Individualism as we know it today was pulled right out of the ass of Protestant reformation. The reformation changed human thinking from what was worse (the church telling you what to think about scriptures) to something slightly less worse (people deciding for themselves what scriptures mean). This was the first time in human history that humans started make a distinction between their " inner individual" and their social place within a society. Individualism has since gone on to become the religion of modern humans yet hasn't produced any better society than before. People are still generally dumber than shit and will believe whatever they are told, individualism to today's extreme conclusions means nobody trust each other and that the only bond we have to one another is to to sell someone something. Everyone today thinks of themselves as a celebrity and is only concerned with themselves.

The reformation, along with modern capitalism and bourgeois capitalist insanely idiotic notions of freedom all are a result if individualism.

Name one mother fucking thing individualism has done to make society better? If there is none or very little, do you still "believe" in the ideas of individualism?
RE: Individualism, the worst thing to come from religion.
(December 8, 2013 at 5:40 pm)I and I Wrote: Yeah yeah I know, the belief in strange stories of things coming from nothing are extremely fucking stupid but these beliefs are shared outside if religion as well so they aren't directly a result of religion. However, individualism came directly from the ass of religion, yet many pretend atheists jizz all over themselves when speaking about individualism, watch the defense and outrage at the criticism of individualism by the atheists here.

Individualism as we know it today was pulled right out of the ass of Protestant reformation. The reformation changed human thinking from what was worse (the church telling you what to think about scriptures) to something slightly less worse (people deciding for themselves what scriptures mean). This was the first time in human history that humans started make a distinction between their " inner individual" and their social place within a society. Individualism has since gone on to become the religion of modern humans yet hasn't produced any better society than before. People are still generally dumber than shit and will believe whatever they are told, individualism to today's extreme conclusions means nobody trust each other and that the only bond we have to one another is to to sell someone something. Everyone today thinks of themselves as a celebrity and is only concerned with themselves.

The reformation, along with modern capitalism and bourgeois capitalist insanely idiotic notions of freedom all are a result if individualism.

Name one mother fucking thing individualism has done to make society better? If there is none or very little, do you still "believe" in the ideas of individualism?

Nope, the notion of individualism is rooted in the Renaissance, before the Reformation. It, in fact, helped foment the Reformation.
Skepticism is not a position; it is an approach to claims.
Science is not a subject, but a method.
So, we have a guy who makes thread after thread of topics based upon the strangest logic imaginable by a supposed atheist who takes various viewpoints common to most of us to a comical extreme and then acts like he's just asking hard-hitting questions, presumably because we just have to meet certain quotas around here and nobody's seen Koolay in a few months.
Individualism is a good thing. You want an example of something good individualism has achieved? Try every human invention ever (because they were all made by men seeking to help themselves)!
(December 8, 2013 at 5:40 pm)I and I Wrote: Yeah yeah I know, the belief in strange stories of things coming from nothing are extremely fucking stupid but these beliefs are shared outside if religion as well so they aren't directly a result of religion. However, individualism came directly from the ass of religion, yet many pretend atheists jizz all over themselves when speaking about individualism, watch the defense and outrage at the criticism of individualism by the atheists here.

Swearing doesn't make points stronger. It just makes you look emotionally unstable. Just saying.

To start with, individualism is not a singular, coherent philosophy and aspects of it have always been present in different philosophies at different times - so to simply point to Protestant reformation as its cause is fucking stupid.

Secondly, you yourself say that changing human thinking from listening to authority to deciding for one self was "less worse" - meaning, even if the origin of individualism was attributable to the reformation, you yourself see it as something that made the society better. Basically, you fucked yourself in the ass with that statement.

Thirdly, the one motherfucking thing individualism has done to make society better is the development of individual rights - which is the biggest motherfucking factor in determining the quality of human life.
(December 9, 2013 at 12:49 am)bennyboy Wrote: Swearing doesn't make points stronger. It just makes you look emotionally unstable. Just saying.

Really? Shock

Bugger
(December 9, 2013 at 3:13 am)genkaus Wrote:

To start with, individualism is not a singular, coherent philosophy and aspects of it have always been present in different philosophies at different times - so to simply point to Protestant reformation as its cause is fucking stupid.

Secondly, you yourself say that changing human thinking from listening to authority to deciding for one self was "less worse" - meaning, even if the origin of individualism was attributable to the reformation, you yourself see it as something that made the society better. Basically, you fucked yourself in the ass with that statement.

Thirdly, the one motherfucking thing individualism has done to make society better is the development of individual rights - which is the biggest motherfucking factor in determining the quality of human life.

I never implied that individualism hasn't had different changes throughout history, I am claiming it came from religion originally. Note: this is a condemnation of religion and individualism.

I said that people deciding for their individual selves what scriptures mean (whatever deciding for yourself means) was slightly less worse. I should have said no better considering that the Protestant reformation actually made that religion more violent.

And how do you come to the conclusion that the belief that their is the inner self and the outer self, that the individual is juxtaposed to society somehow make humans better?

Name one good attribute of individualism.
(December 9, 2013 at 7:05 pm)I and I Wrote: Name one good attribute of individualism.
Human progress.
I wondered if our Mao faced moscot of lunacy ever considered that while under Mao, the masses of China was indeed subjected to ruthless crushing of individualism, in the pursuit of the utter reduction of each of China's billion human beings into identical mao-suited bricks for the construction of monuments to Mao. But for Mao himself the ideal was supreme and total individualism for Mao, untremmaled by any constraints on his whim that might result from any respect for any other individual.

(December 9, 2013 at 7:05 pm)I and I Wrote: Name one good attribute of individualism.

Resistance to the likes of Mao.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The argument against "evil", theists please come to the defense. Mystic 158 68470 December 29, 2017 at 7:21 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Individualism Is Stupid ( Or Why Libertarianism And Objectivism Is Stupid) Amarok 27 4427 December 6, 2017 at 7:39 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Dualism vs. Individualism carusmm 6 2001 May 30, 2016 at 8:43 am
Last Post: bennyboy
  Necessary Thing Ignorant 204 20553 April 24, 2016 at 1:14 pm
Last Post: J a c k
  From where come your morals? urlawyer 33 4847 April 26, 2015 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: Foxaèr
  One thing I find encouraging on here! vodkafan 143 18998 August 28, 2014 at 9:41 pm
Last Post: Losty
  The following is not a question: Can something come from nothing? Alex K 204 30632 April 16, 2014 at 6:02 pm
Last Post: ManMachine
Lightbulb Why do we look at death as a bad thing? FractalEternalWheel 30 4827 March 18, 2014 at 8:42 am
Last Post: Marsellus Wallace
  How did the Universe Come to be? (my beliefs) BrumelyKris 24 6753 October 10, 2013 at 6:28 pm
Last Post: bennyboy
Question One thing that makes you doubt your own world view? Tea Earl Grey Hot 9 2759 July 14, 2013 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: Something completely different