Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 31, 2024, 9:24 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
'Pulling the rug' from under the feet of "peacecful believers"?
RE: 'Pulling the rug' from under the feet of "peacecful believers"?
(April 21, 2015 at 7:40 am)robvalue Wrote: It's a good point. How can interpretations "change"? It's the same frigging book, and now suddenly you're gonna start doing something totally different to what you were doing a minute ago.
Religious change happens all the time because, as any comparative theologist can tell you, religions are man-made and mankind is a vacillating species, indeed! Think of Christianity and all of the denominations which sprang up as believers needed less literal versions (one per believer?). Although the various churches used every means at their disposal to stop change from happening, the views of the common christian resulted in the modern, less toothy versions we see today.

Quote:You have no way of verifying the previous way was the right way, nor the new way. I guess some new scrap could turn up or something, or they find stuff in other ways that "may change the meaning" of what it says. Bullshit. The assumption it's divinely inspired is the stupidest thing I could imagine. If it was divinely inspired people wouldn't need to kill each other over how to read it.
They claim they can justify their new beliefs. That's why it's important, in my view, to ask believers to do so, and to ask why they don't accept other interpretations.

Quote:So how do you convince people of the new interpretation when it's all arbitrary? You can hardly use a reasoned argument.
People will follow a new interpretation when it fits their value-systems; it would be rare to find a pacifistic jihadist. So to have a greater chance of a successful religion, you have to be able to read the crowd and 'intelligently design' your doctrine to fit popular opinion.

Quote:I'd say the only people qualified to give the right "interpretation" are the authors, and since we have no originals of anything (I assume this is the same with the Kerrang) we've just got copies of copies. And really, for all we know they wrote these books to be stories; fiction.
That depends on what you mean by 'right interpretation'. If you mean 'original' then yes, the original authors would be the best source however if you mean 'most successfully propogatable' (most memetic?) then public opinion's definitely the way to go. In which case, everyone's qualified to interpret. That's both a boon and an indictment: a boon because we're not permanently stuck with harmful interpretations and an indictment because it highlights the lack of divine inspiration required for religion.

Quote:So how do you do it? History seems to point towards telling people that's how they're going to do it, and killing them if they don't. Science doesn't seem to work that way. Einstein didn't need to slaughter the previous scientists to get his new theory into place. Well, I haven't heard about it if he did.
Historically, violence has been the most effective inducement. It still is for non-enlightened Islam. For other religions, now o'days, social exclusion and isolation tends to be the most common tool

Quote:These days everyone has their own interpretation. It's just words on a page that some douche bag wrote ages ago. If you think it has all the answers to life, or even any of them, you're starting with a very fragile premise.

Yup. That's why I call bullshit, too.
Sum ergo sum

Messages In This Thread
RE: 'Pulling the rug' from under the feet of "peacecful believers"? - by Ben Davis - April 21, 2015 at 9:09 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  [Quranic Reflection]: The tolerance the Quran gave non-believers WinterHold 95 15627 December 29, 2019 at 12:57 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Believers are meant to suffer while disbelievers are enjoying themselves Kimmy 3 487 August 23, 2018 at 10:27 am
Last Post: Fireball
  Allah's punishment for atheist & non believers yragnitup 62 13039 June 11, 2018 at 6:20 am
Last Post: Whateverist
  I hope they were sincere believers as the boars ate them . . . vorlon13 6 1688 May 26, 2017 at 9:47 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Europe is under attack and invasion mralstoner 27 4622 November 17, 2015 at 2:51 pm
Last Post: Wyrd of Gawd
  Cutting hands and feet from opposite sides AtheistCreed 16 6363 September 19, 2013 at 11:43 am
  Iran Moves to legalize marriage for girls under 10 years old starchild 10 6315 May 28, 2013 at 12:16 am
Last Post: Violet
  Is there under the ocean waves? eninn 39 12517 May 23, 2012 at 2:12 am