Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 19, 2024, 2:41 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
The Atheist Guide To Christianity
RE: The Atheist Guide To Christianity
(May 7, 2012 at 8:15 am)theatheistguide Wrote: 1. God doesn't exist, and we want to believe in him.
2. God does exist, and we don't want to believe in him.

This is a false dilemma as it over simplifies the situation, much like Pascal's Wager.

First of all, how about "God does exist, and is nothing like what Christians imagine".

Zeus, Odin, Ra, Shiva, Ishtar, Quetzalcoatl, these are just a few of the countless gods imagined by humanity over the eons. What if it turned out one of these was the right one? There's just as much proof for any of them as there is for Yahweh (the Judeo-Christian god).

...or how about "God does exist, and is nothing like anything we CAN imagine."

Maybe the reason that evil exists in the universe and suffering happens on this world is simply because it turns out that God isn't spending his/her/its time watching everything on a trillion television sets monitoring all our activity and looking out for our petty concerns. Maybe God has all the ability to relate to our trials and tribulations like we might spend any time thinking about a nearby amoeba. And maybe God is a mind and a lifeform so far advanced from us that we couldn't comprehend it even if it were explained to us.

I'm not saying any of this is true but am just throwing out other possibilities. Your simplistic "either/or" dilemma carries the implicit assumption that "well of course God=Yahweh" and this is the only alternative to a universe devoid of any deity.

Second of all, why do you assume that people who are atheists "don't want to believe in him"?

This is one of the irritating parts of Christian proselytizing, where you assume you understand my true motivations and you don't know me from the proverbial Adam.

Most of the atheists I know locally are ex-Chrsitians. Some of them came from very conservative, fundamentalist brands of Christianity, others from more moderate ones. At one time, they believed. Some of them prayed very hard and really wanted that "personal relationship with God". The story varies, of course, but what they all have in common is a gradual process that led to their loss of faith. None of them have ever told me the story that they "didn't want to believe". All of them told me the story that they just couldn't any longer.
Atheist Forums Hall of Shame:
"The trinity can be equated to having your cake and eating it too."
...      -Lucent, trying to defend the Trinity concept
"(Yahweh's) actions are good because (Yahweh) is the ultimate standard of goodness. That’s not begging the question"
...       -Statler Waldorf, Christian apologist

Messages In This Thread
RE: The Atheist Guide To Christianity - by Xyster - May 7, 2012 at 7:25 am
RE: The Atheist Guide To Christianity - by Kayenneh - May 7, 2012 at 8:05 am
RE: The Atheist Guide To Christianity - by DeistPaladin - May 7, 2012 at 9:09 am
RE: The Atheist Guide To Christianity - by Cinjin - May 7, 2012 at 9:52 am
RE: The Atheist Guide To Christianity - by Xyster - May 7, 2012 at 8:15 am
RE: The Atheist Guide To Christianity - by Xyster - May 7, 2012 at 8:46 am
RE: The Atheist Guide To Christianity - by Phil - May 7, 2012 at 9:12 am
RE: The Atheist Guide To Christianity - by Kayenneh - May 7, 2012 at 8:27 am
RE: The Atheist Guide To Christianity - by Tiberius - May 7, 2012 at 9:03 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Orthodox Christianity is Best Christianity! Annoyingbutnicetheist 30 7052 January 26, 2016 at 10:44 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  A Real Christian's(TM) guide to interpreting scripture! Longhorn 18 5133 August 9, 2015 at 3:28 pm
Last Post: Exian
  How can a book that tells you how to treat slaves possibly be valid moral guide là bạn điên 43 12145 July 11, 2015 at 11:40 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Voter's Guide for Serious Catholics Dolorian 22 6502 September 11, 2014 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: vodkafan
  Christianity vs Gnostic Christianity themonkeyman 12 8564 December 26, 2013 at 11:00 am
Last Post: pineapplebunnybounce
  Moderate Christianity - Even More Illogical Than Fundamentalist Christianity? Xavier 22 18480 November 23, 2013 at 11:21 am
Last Post: Jacob(smooth)
  Friendly Atheist - Another Reason for Women to Leave Christianity thesummerqueen 39 10118 September 20, 2011 at 9:49 pm
Last Post: coffeeveritas