Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 7, 2024, 4:38 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Dualism vs Materialism or Mind vs Soul
Dualism vs Materialism or Mind vs Soul
With a lot of religions you have the idea of dualism, that non-material something usually called a soul. It is supposed to be what contains everything that makes you “you”. This is supposed to be everlasting and what goes on to Heaven, Hell or reincarnation after you croak. Now, I'd like to know what evidence is there for the existence of this non-material whatever.

Your mind we have evidence for. The brain is an organ and the mind is what the brain does, so to speak. Nowadays a lot of what the brain is up to can be measured, mapped, etc. The mind is not something separate from the brain, but is the result of neural activity. If the mind is not the result of neural activity, but the result of some non-material soul then it should not be dependent on the organ known as the brain.

But, if various parts of the brain get damaged in an accident, or due to illness, things can and sometimes do occur that greatly change you. You become a different person. How depends on what gets damaged. Everything that makes me the unique person that I am is contained in my brain – personality, memories, ability to process everything our senses detect, etc. Now if your brain gets damaged, and you become a different person, what happens to your soul?

The way I was taught about the human soul was that it contained everything that made me “me”. After death, you'd end up before the creator and be judged for whatever you did while alive and treated accordingly. You would either go up or down, so to speak. So, where is this thing? Why can't we detect it? If my brain contains everything that makes me who I am, of what use is this soul?

There are people on this site that know a lot more about this than I do. Any input from both believers and unbelievers alike will be much appreciated by me. I came here hoping to learn, so please respond. Thanks.
“To terrify children with the image of hell, to consider women an inferior creation—is that good for the world?”
― Christopher Hitchens

"That fear first created the gods is perhaps as true as anything so brief could be on so great a subject". - George Santayana

"If this is the best God can do, I'm not impressed". - George Carlin

Messages In This Thread
Dualism vs Materialism or Mind vs Soul - by Raven - May 15, 2013 at 9:34 pm
RE: Dualism vs Materialism or Mind vs Soul - by fr0d0 - May 15, 2013 at 11:41 pm
RE: Dualism vs Materialism or Mind vs Soul - by Cato - May 15, 2013 at 11:55 pm
RE: Dualism vs Materialism or Mind vs Soul - by Raven - May 16, 2013 at 8:28 am
RE: Dualism vs Materialism or Mind vs Soul - by Raven - May 16, 2013 at 12:01 pm
RE: Dualism vs Materialism or Mind vs Soul - by Sal - May 17, 2013 at 8:34 am
RE: Dualism vs Materialism or Mind vs Soul - by Sal - May 17, 2013 at 12:56 pm
RE: Dualism vs Materialism or Mind vs Soul - by Sal - May 17, 2013 at 2:33 pm
RE: Dualism vs Materialism or Mind vs Soul - by Sal - May 18, 2013 at 7:32 am
RE: Dualism vs Materialism or Mind vs Soul - by Raven - May 17, 2013 at 1:52 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Veridical NDEs: Evidence/Proof of the Soul and the After-Life? Nishant Xavier 32 1711 August 6, 2023 at 5:36 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  No soul? No free will and no responsibility then, yet the latter's essential... Duty 33 4180 August 26, 2020 at 4:35 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  Arguments against Soul FlatAssembler 327 25668 February 20, 2020 at 11:28 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Nondualism vs Dualism Won2blv 99 8733 May 7, 2019 at 9:48 pm
Last Post: Jehanne
  If the existence of an enduring soul was proven... Gawdzilla Sama 45 4694 November 26, 2018 at 5:17 pm
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  brainwashing & mind control techniques purplepurpose 6 1722 November 24, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Changing ones mind about a subject Sal 23 2725 November 21, 2017 at 11:52 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Religion is fluff but the Doctrines are solid. Keep mind open. RonaldMcRaygun 12 2336 March 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  What would change your mind? hyperchord24 117 20458 March 28, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1756 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist