Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 5:09 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Atheists here who at one time denied evolution?
Any Atheists here who at one time denied evolution?
I'm curious if there are any atheists here who at one time had denied evolution.  I'd think that it's rarer for someone who denies evolution to change their views on religion than someone who doesn't.  When my husband told me that he was a creationist who didn't believe in evolution, I thought "Oh when you were a kid?"  Because he's a fairly smart guy.  He didn't exactly fail biology.  In fact he had the highest grade in the entire school in biology (he finished the year with higher than a perfect grade).  So I was surprised when he told me that he didn't start believing in evolution until after we graduated.  He said he knew the theory, but didn't agree with it until after he had (oddly enough) watched the movie Dogma.  I thought that was an odd thing to change his mind, but apparently it allowed him to reconcile the idea of God and Evolution.   Apparently for him it wasn't that the evidence wasn't good enough, but that it contradicted his religious beliefs at the time.  

The idea of denying evolution seems to be something deeply embedded in the minds of people.  But I also wonder if perhaps it's actually more likely (logical) people who deny evolution to turn to Atheism.  I mean once you learn one thing you've believed is a lie, it seems like there might be some sort of rolling effect where you start questioning all of your beliefs.  At the same time, those people tend to have deeply embedded beliefs that were instilled in them when they were young, so one thing might not be enough to get it all rolling.

I know when I turned to atheism it was a rolling effect of sorts.  I never denied evolution, but I went from Catholic, to Protestant, to Non-Denominational before finally becoming an Atheist.  And I know my husband's views of Christianity went from more fundamentalist ideas to more abstract ideas that weren't rooted in church or the bible. 

Any Atheists here who used to deny evolution?  If so, what changed your mind? Was it part of what made you a non-believer?
The whole tone of Church teaching in regard to woman is, to the last degree, contemptuous and degrading. - Elizabeth Cady Stanton

Messages In This Thread
Any Atheists here who at one time denied evolution? - by Cecelia - February 16, 2016 at 1:13 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2766 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2206 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14385 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A challenge for any Atheist who been here for a long time! Mystic 36 4826 January 11, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: comet
  One of the best videos i've seen in a long time Heat 1 1117 December 22, 2015 at 5:04 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Leaving cards with one Bible verse and one Quran verse for people to discover? ReptilianPeon 7 2358 November 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  How many Atheist are also vote Republican from time to time? MattB 52 9765 July 18, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Any vegetarians? Should I become one? JaceDeanLove 37 6765 November 25, 2014 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: process613
  One Small Step For Life, One Giant Leap For Understanding LivingNumbers6.626 6 3402 July 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Can Atheists and Religious people be one? Phatt Matt s 14 3841 March 28, 2014 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Minimalist