Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 4:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Question about the whole NDE concept and Dr. Jeffrey Long
RE: Question about the whole NDE concept and Dr. Jeffrey Long
(November 17, 2016 at 1:23 am)Violeta-1998 Wrote: I am currently an agnostic, and I do believe in evolution, the big bang, I am a big fan of Richard Dawkins, Laurence Krauss, Hawking, just to name a few atheists. I think that for the most part, science does its job when explaining the universe, and the world in general. However, the concept of Near Death Experiences and Out of Body Experiences cause me to scratch my head. Recently, Dr. Jeffrey Long published a book where he analyzed 1600 cases of NDEs and he claimed that they were all strikingly similar, regardless of cultural differences. For example, many people reported seeing a bright light, feeling a lot of love, meeting deceased relatives, having a life review. I am wondering if anyone on this site ever read the Dr. Jeffrey book proof of afterlife? In his book, he even debunks the ideas of the brain hallucinating, and the idea of chemicals being released in the brain to cause these experiences. About 95% of participants thought that these experiences felt more real than real life, and hallucinations cannot feel that real. Also, many claim to see A god, but without a particular title. If 1600 experiences are very similar, would you say that it could mean that these are in fact snapshots of an afterlife? I just don't know how they can be so consistent, and how they can be so life changing if they are not real. 
People, please go easy on me! This is my first day and I am not an atheist, but an agnostic. I just want to know your opinion on Dr. Jeffrey Long, and on NDEs and OBEs in general!
Thanks,
Violeta :-)

The best "evidence" for NDE's is from Sam Parnia's AWARE study, which changed its goals mid way through the study, because the original test of putting a card with a series of numbers in a place in the room where it couldn't be seen other than an out of body experience was getting no hits, where there was a sum total of one NDE (according to Parnia) which was a man, a year after his cardiac arrest, recalling medical details that he could have gotten from watching an episode of ER (which had all genuine, top of the range equipment, none of it turned on).

I had a good link on the whole thing a while back, but I erased it, and now can't even find the article on google. If I do I'll post a link.

Edit: found it. http://www.patheos.com/blogs/friendlyath...t-so-much/
Urbs Antiqua Fuit Studiisque Asperrima Belli

Home

Messages In This Thread
RE: Question about the whole NDE concept and Dr. Jeffrey Long - by GUBU - November 17, 2016 at 6:29 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The concept of atonement Foxaèr 11 1519 November 26, 2022 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Objectivist
  Why garden and not whole world? Fake Messiah 14 2493 March 21, 2019 at 12:02 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Another NDE Scam Exposed Minimalist 8 1062 April 15, 2018 at 8:41 am
Last Post: vorlon13
Brick An hour long stay WinterHold 3 971 November 25, 2017 at 10:22 am
Last Post: Brian37
  NDE of future war of demons masquerading as aliens scoobysnack 73 25950 June 12, 2017 at 10:10 pm
Last Post: Cecelia
  Long term advice when debating theists. Brian37 33 6926 May 6, 2015 at 12:06 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  I Really Hate The Concept Of Free Will Nope 84 13713 December 4, 2014 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Schwa
  And if you are wrong , eternity is a long time. Artur Axmann 188 52400 June 6, 2014 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: archangle
  Concept of God (In-depth) peacemaker 18 4057 May 2, 2013 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: CleanShavenJesus
  Easy arguments against the Bible, and religion as a whole Rwandrall 320 224574 March 14, 2013 at 7:38 pm
Last Post: Angrboda