Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 17, 2024, 6:30 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Facebook adds 56 Gender options to choose from
RE: Facebook adds 56 Gender options to choose from
(March 1, 2014 at 5:20 pm)Pickup_shonuff Wrote: Such an atrociously bad argument that can be applied to any ridiculous oppression the majority inflicts on the minority. This kind of looks like the liberal cowardice many of the 'New Atheists' have spoken out against.

You are not incorrect... however, it is sometimes the minority that 'inflicts' such upon the majority.

I shall reiterate: The atrocities committed by man against his kin know no bounds.

Quote:"No, we should not draw the Prophet Mohammad.. or moreover, allow women the freedom to drive cars.. because some extremist Muslim men might get bothered by it and harm them!"

This is a glorious misrepresentation of my argument. Did I say *anywhere* (*EVER*) that 'we should not do <anything> because someone might do <something> about it'?

No. I have yet only ever said that some degree of caution is advisable... because our actions have effects. Some of which are very dangerous, and could well get a person hurt.

Denying that people can be hurt due to information (true or otherwise) is... a very difficult position to defend, given slander and rumor-mills Smile

Quote:That's an extreme comparison, in which case, you'd probably argue that women are better off surrendering their freedom to "choose" whether or not they'd like to operate a motor vehicle.

Depends on the woman, depends on the place, depends on the time, depends on the woman's relationships with others.

Quote:In this instance, the choice to present oneself on their FB page however one prefers is far less dangerous.

Right... because homophobic families totally haven't kicked gay and/or trans teens out of their homes before.

Because said peoples haven't been bullied horrifically by their classmates before.

Because one's friends definitely wouldn't abandon them or otherwise undermine them based on this data.

Because these things clearly would never affect whether or not an employer investigating your facebook would hire you.

Quote:And each person understands their own circumstances to know if "coming out" carries more benefits than not.

Do they? Does each person also understand their own circumstances well enough to know if "getting high" 'carries' more benefits than not? Does each person also understand their own circumstances well enough to know if "drunk driving" 'carries' more benefits than not?

People don't always understand every facet of their being. People are not always at a state where they can make these decisions without hurting themselves.

I suggest that they consider the negative possibilities before their decisions, if able.

Quote:We don't need Alice or her authoritarian cohorts making those decisions for us but thanks for the concern.

Authoritarian Alice?

* Violet would die of laughter, but she kind of... can't.

Show me, creature: where have I made ANY decisions for 'yall'?

[Image: FSP_Schriftzug_SHOW_ME.jpg]
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day

Messages In This Thread
RE: Facebook adds 56 Gender options to choose from - by TaraJo - February 15, 2014 at 10:54 pm
RE: Facebook adds 56 Gender options to choose from - by c172 - February 15, 2014 at 10:54 pm
RE: Facebook adds 56 Gender options to choose from - by KUSA - February 15, 2014 at 11:36 pm
RE: Facebook adds 56 Gender options to choose from - by Violet - February 22, 2014 at 12:45 am
RE: Facebook adds 56 Gender options to choose from - by Nine - February 21, 2014 at 1:09 pm
RE: Facebook adds 56 Gender options to choose from - by Violet - February 26, 2014 at 10:56 pm
RE: Facebook adds 56 Gender options to choose from - by Violet - March 1, 2014 at 6:07 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The next site to supposedly replace Facebook Foxaèr 3 444 September 23, 2018 at 9:42 am
Last Post: brewer
  Facebook page full of useful memes popeyespappy 3 1057 November 18, 2015 at 5:55 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  This story is being shared on Facebook, et al Easy Guns 27 4872 November 12, 2015 at 8:11 pm
Last Post: Easy Guns
  Facebook or Prayer? Forsaken 7 1949 December 19, 2014 at 4:22 am
Last Post: robvalue
  I saw this (non religious) video on Facebook and it made me angry Drich 74 11593 August 28, 2014 at 9:37 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Looking for support for my (Libyan-Atheists) Facebook page Hot_IceCube 5 3014 April 3, 2014 at 5:26 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Gender-neutral marriage in Finland? Kayenneh 11 2320 March 14, 2014 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Jackalope
  "conservative" american facebook copy. downbeatplumb 6 2147 January 31, 2013 at 5:53 pm
Last Post: frankiej
  Facebook Christianity Diamond 3 1339 August 7, 2012 at 7:47 pm
Last Post: Erinome
  Fox News and Facebook thesummerqueen 18 4110 August 3, 2011 at 1:53 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger