Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 16, 2024, 6:28 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Delusions make the human mind that more amazing
RE: Delusions make the human mind that more amazing
(August 18, 2014 at 10:43 am)Mozart Link Wrote:
(August 18, 2014 at 10:25 am)FatAndFaithless Wrote: Nope, sorry dude, you don't get to equate people with identifiable delusions with scientists. And I'd like to live in a society that conducts itself and makes decisions using methods that are as close to realtiy as possible (since that's where we are). If someone has a delusion that informs their decision-making, and I would argue that most of our beliefs inform out actions in some way, I'm not going to wait until they do harm to themselves or someone else to speak up.
Explain how an innocent caring person would end up having negative consequences by having his/her delusions if the delusion is something without morals? I know that even innocent people with delusional beliefs in a God with the morals along with it would do something such as sacrifice others because they thought it was the right thing for God. But if you take away the morals and just have the delusional fantasy alone by itself, I do not see how there would be any negative consequences from it. For example, how would the delusional belief of there being heaven by itself without any morals have negative consequences if this belief is something that just brings this innocent person personal pleasure in life?

Because beliefs don't exist in a vacuum. Beliefs inform your actions, they can affect other beliefs, and can affect how likely you are to change your beliefs. And again, as a member of a community who is affected by the actions of others, I'd like to be as sure as possible that the community in which I am taking part is based on reality, and not some fantasy.
In every country and every age, the priest had been hostile to Liberty.
- Thomas Jefferson

Messages In This Thread
RE: Delusions make the human mind that more amazing - by FatAndFaithless - August 18, 2014 at 10:47 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  My 2004 Ford C-max can do amazing things I_am_not_mafia 21 3270 March 16, 2018 at 4:28 am
Last Post: Norfolk And Chance
  brainwashing & mind control techniques purplepurpose 6 1728 November 24, 2017 at 10:14 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Changing ones mind about a subject Sal 23 2743 November 21, 2017 at 11:52 am
Last Post: Shell B
  Religion is fluff but the Doctrines are solid. Keep mind open. RonaldMcRaygun 12 2345 March 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  What would change your mind? hyperchord24 117 20668 March 28, 2017 at 8:13 am
Last Post: Cyberman
  The bible teaches that there is no immortal soul and that death is the end MIND BLOWN LetThereBeNoGod 4 1758 February 16, 2017 at 11:18 pm
Last Post: Whateverist
  Matt Dilahunty On What Would Change His Mind About God Edwardo Piet 14 5191 January 29, 2017 at 1:12 pm
Last Post: Cyberman
  A real mind-boggling mirracle! mcolafson 12 2339 September 22, 2016 at 1:56 am
Last Post: Minimalist
  Atheist = Reprobate mind sinnerdaniel94 186 39804 November 2, 2015 at 11:05 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  How long did it take for you to deconvert? What made you change your mind? IanHulett 27 7763 August 6, 2015 at 3:45 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy