Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 14, 2024, 8:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
All white people are racists...or "white fragility" ??
RE: All white people are racists...or "white fragility" ??
(September 17, 2015 at 7:50 pm)TheRocketSurgeon Wrote: Quite so. Another "must read" author, if you have not yet done so, is James W. Loewen, whose Lies My Teacher Told Me is one of the most important books I have ever read (he's a history professor, and he examines the six main high school textbooks for the ways in which they whitewash what actually happened in American history, by comparing what the books say to what the primary literature says, mainly on subjects of our genocide of the Native Americans and our treatment of African Americans throughout our history).

But in this case, your subject is something he talks about in Sundown Towns: A Hidden Dimension of American Racism, and as horrifying as our "sundown town" history (which continues, as he documents) was to read about, it made my skin crawl (I was in a prison when I read it) to learn that the rural counties in which my prisons were always located could count the minority population in the prison as part of their census, while paying nothing to them, for purposes of federal funding and other programs, even for avoiding being penalized for being racial exclusion zones.

I was in luck and able to download audio versions of both books. so I will be able to read them along with the 0Diamond books. Did you see my replay to your post before where you mentioned Jared Diamond?

I think if we focus on specifics like this it will open the door to public discourse of what really concerns us more than if we just say we want to talk about racism. I imagine White people see that the same way a man might react if his woman just comes in out of the blue and says, "We need to talk about our relationship." He doesn't know where this conversation will go, what the rules are or what is expected of him. All he knows is his woman is uhappy and it is somehow his fault. But specific, undeniable conditions of racial inequality are something people can talk about with a view to resolution. Knowamsnae?
The god who allows children to be raped out of respect for the free will choice of the rapist, but punishes gay men for engaging in mutually consensual sex couldn't possibly be responsible for an intelligently designed universe.

I may defend your right to free speech, but i won't help you pass out flyers.

Those who can make you believe absurdities, can make you commit atrocities.
--Voltaire

Nietzsche isn't dead. How do I know he lives? He lives in my mind.

Messages In This Thread
RE: All white people are racists...or "white fragility" ?? - by Rhondazvous - September 18, 2015 at 11:18 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  You think people who hate Queen Elizabeth 2 is same reason MAGA people hated Obama Woah0 13 1342 December 20, 2022 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Damned Racists, Vol II Minimalist 323 27840 August 3, 2019 at 10:13 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  White liberals are the true racists Sammin 55 4398 October 23, 2018 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: Dr H
  Ivanka insulting the mothers of all immigrants, or better: all immigrants. WinterHold 22 2281 May 31, 2018 at 8:31 pm
Last Post: brewer
  The SPLC - All White at the Top John V 29 4158 April 24, 2018 at 10:05 am
Last Post: Mister Agenda
  White people assuming other white people like Trump Sterben 81 12098 April 1, 2017 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Sterben
  Damned Racists Minimalist 249 48433 December 8, 2016 at 3:07 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why all people think that Assad and ISIS are the only choices? Ramy 27 3925 December 1, 2015 at 8:02 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Tea Party membership driven by white people who hate brown people, sez science Ryantology 33 6049 November 4, 2014 at 9:34 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  The further people politically move from moderacy the more people lie là bạn điên 26 9211 December 30, 2013 at 5:21 pm
Last Post: Snidely Whiplash