Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 15, 2024, 9:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Any Atheists here who at one time denied evolution?
RE: Any Atheists here who at one time denied evolution?
(February 16, 2016 at 1:28 pm)drfuzzy Wrote: That was one of my triggers, Cecelia.  One of the first ones.
I was raised fundie Protestant.  I remember assemblies in the Church school I attended, that proclaimed why Evolution was a lie.  My parents believed (even my Father, a very intelligent, college-educated man) that all of the "fossil evidence" was either deliberately faked or misinterpreted.
Then I changed schools.  I went to a public high school and made friends with a girl whose parents were biologists.  When I told them what I had been taught about evolution, one night over dinner . . . they were kind, but I will never forget their faces.  They clearly were looking at me with a mixture of horror and pity.  That - - was significant.  These intelligent scientists were looking at me like I was somehow mentally deficient.
It took a few more years, science classes, and reading, for me to be SURE that my Parents and those Preachers had been very wrong.  That, of course, paved the way to more questions about science and religion.  First stop . . . fundamentalism was wrong.  But even more mainstream liberal Christianity gradually lost its hold.  The idea of Deism and Polytheism and Spirituality and all of that . . . tried, studied, and abandoned.  But I was in my mid-40's before I finally proclaimed that I was an atheist.

Yea, for many, the escape isn't sudden. Many are indoctrinated some left, which isn't so bad, and some right "everyone else is evil", but it can be a long trip for many because of the lingering "I don't want to end up in hell" crap. So you go along because you see everyone else going along with it, and you stupidly think they cant all be wrong.

Messages In This Thread
RE: Any Atheists here who at one time denied evolution? - by Brian37 - February 16, 2016 at 5:29 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  How may one refute the religious stonewall argument "all is one"? Osopatata 29 2824 December 21, 2020 at 4:05 pm
Last Post: HappySkeptic
  I enjoy far right atheists more than lgbt marxist atheists Sopra 4 2224 February 28, 2018 at 9:09 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Any other atheists just feel an acute intolerance for religious people? WisdomOfTheTrees 93 14499 February 10, 2017 at 3:35 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  A challenge for any Atheist who been here for a long time! Mystic 36 4889 January 11, 2017 at 8:16 pm
Last Post: comet
  One of the best videos i've seen in a long time Heat 1 1128 December 22, 2015 at 5:04 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Leaving cards with one Bible verse and one Quran verse for people to discover? ReptilianPeon 7 2374 November 10, 2015 at 2:27 pm
Last Post: KevinM1
  How many Atheist are also vote Republican from time to time? MattB 52 10108 July 18, 2015 at 12:43 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Any vegetarians? Should I become one? JaceDeanLove 37 6811 November 25, 2014 at 6:34 pm
Last Post: process613
  One Small Step For Life, One Giant Leap For Understanding LivingNumbers6.626 6 3443 July 28, 2014 at 2:28 pm
Last Post: LivingNumbers6.626
  Can Atheists and Religious people be one? Phatt Matt s 14 3850 March 28, 2014 at 5:03 pm
Last Post: Minimalist