Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 4:36 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am about to ask a serious but utterly reprehensible question
RE: I am about to ask a serious but utterly reprehensible question
(January 29, 2017 at 1:42 pm)RoadRunner79 Wrote:
(January 28, 2017 at 6:29 pm)Astonished Wrote:

For those who argue against objective morality, there isn’t really a problem (how is rape wrong under a subjective morality) However; that is a different subject; and I’ll assume objective morality in the answer.

Well, first off all, there versions of secular morality that do have a objective basis, if the definition of objective is "Not dependent on the mind for existence". But you are correct, that is another subject.

Quote:I think that there are a couple of aspects to your question.  The first has to do with why something is wrong.   In the case of rape, I think that this has more to do with the why; rather than the what is occurring.   C.S. Lewis made the distinction of intentions when discussing morality, rather than the outcome.  He stated, that we are angry with the person, who attempts to trip us up, yet fails.  But not angry with the person who trips us by accident; even when the result is injury. There may initially be some emotion from the injury or embarrassment, but I think that for a rational person, this should subside.    Now from the principle in your example, the second case is “far worse” in result, so shouldn’t we be able to compare them?  I think that the answer is no, because the intentions do make a difference.   In the case of rape, the motivations are selfish, and set themselves on something that God has set apart to be Holy.  

The second aspect, is that I think you are working from a pop culture caricature of hell.  A Greek Orthodox would describe hell and the torment therein; as a result of separation from God.    I do agree with this view, but also think that some can take it too far (making it purely emotional and  self-inflicted), and I believe ignoring some parts of scripture.  While I believe that most of the descriptions of hell in the Bible are symbolic; they still represent that which they are symbolizing.  What the Bible describes is the consequences of sin, and the result of separation from God.  

So the answer is no; I wouldn’t agree with what you proposed, or do anything like that.  I don’t think that it is an equivalent comparison, nor accurate of the Biblical description.  I also assume that you are speaking of a fairly young child; in which case, I’m not going to have a discussion the way you represented it; in the first place.

But then the question was not meant for you then, since the question was meant for Christians that do tell their children the version of hell described in the OP. Quite a few Christians, I am sure you will agree.

(January 30, 2017 at 4:46 pm)SteveII Wrote: This is a non-starter. 

Why would any Christian tell a child he/she is a terrible sinner and deserving of an eternity of fiery torment? No Christian denomination that I know of believes that that child is accountable for their sins until some "age of accountability" where they can understand such things. Only God could know when a person is to be culpable for their sins. In some cases, a person's mental disabilities might prevent that from happening their whole life. 

The rest of your reasoning is nonsense and your conclusions faulty.

Please quote Bible chapter and verse were it is mentioned that a child is not accountable until some "age of accountability".

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I am about to ask a serious but utterly reprehensible question - by Simon Moon - January 30, 2017 at 5:01 pm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs Vaino-Eesti 33 5857 April 8, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Tokikot
  A serious question for theists dyresand 35 5051 November 12, 2016 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  Ethics question for theists - serious - looking for opinions not argument. drfuzzy 36 4863 September 27, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Theists ask me a question dyresand 34 7748 January 5, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Serious moral question for theist. dyresand 30 7498 September 1, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  [extremely serious]The Truth Behind Christianity. Stephanie113 5 2236 August 19, 2015 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why So Serious? Servatum 11 2531 November 5, 2014 at 5:50 am
Last Post: Nintentacle
Exclamation serious question dyresand 59 7753 October 30, 2014 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Voter's Guide for Serious Catholics Dolorian 22 6486 September 11, 2014 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: vodkafan
  Dear Christians... Are you F***ing serious? Proof of Blood and Ark xr34p3rx 29 15427 January 12, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: xr34p3rx