Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 11, 2024, 9:11 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I am about to ask a serious but utterly reprehensible question
RE: I am about to ask a serious but utterly reprehensible question
(January 30, 2017 at 4:58 pm)Khemikal Wrote: Rank Bullshit.   "For all have sinned and fallen short".  A christian might want to tell their children the truth, rather than wishy washy cafeteria christianity.  

Calvin told us that non-elect children are damned.  The catholic church has long maintained that a child could be damned.  "Sin" has nothing to do with an "age of accountability".  

You're confusing your faith based positions with vastly improved secular law, lol.

That was Calvin's opinion. Most denominations (including most Calvinist leaning ones) believe that children are not judged until they are reach a point where God judges they understand. 

Your "For all have sinned and fallen short of the Glory of God" quote is correct. You are simply describing a state. It is not just any sin that sends you to hell, it is the rejection of God that sends you to hell. The "age of accountability" goes hand in hand with the answer to the question about what if a person never hears about Jesus and his death/resurrection?  God will judge him/her based on their response of what he has made know to them. 

I am not Catholic but would like to know the basis for your "child could be damned" assertion.

(January 30, 2017 at 7:49 pm)Nymphadora Wrote:
(January 30, 2017 at 4:46 pm)SteveII Wrote: Why would any Christian tell a child he/she is a terrible sinner and deserving of an eternity of fiery torment? No Christian denomination that I know of believes that that child is accountable for their sins until some "age of accountability" where they can understand such things. Only God could know when a person is to be culpable for their sins. In some cases, a person's mental disabilities might prevent that from happening their whole life. 

This has got to be the biggest lie out of this whole thread. And you know it. According to the abrahamic god, one can't enter into the kingdom of heaven unless he is "born again". Meaning, when you're born the "first" time, you are born with sin. But please, feel free to sugarcoat that bullshit all you like just so you christians have an excuse to feel better about verbally abusing your kids with threats of being sent to hell by an entity that just doesn't exist at all.

Christians are well known for filling their kids with all sorts of glossed over stories about the atrocities committed by their god. They just like to make them sound pretty. See Noah's ark for a perfect example of how christians make genocide, committed by their very own god, appealing to small children. And if you think that there isn't a christian denomination out there that hasn't done this very thing with Noah's ark, then you, good sir, are full of shit.

I can full well remember (back when I still believed in this non-sense) attending a non-denominational church one time and inquiring about a baptism service for my then 8 year old daughter. She was asked a series of questions and had to state that she believes that "the lord jesus christ is my personal savior and died to save me from my sins". Now I ask you - what the actual fuck has an EIGHT YEAR OLD CHILD done that was so damned horrible that she needed a personal savior to save her from?

I'll answer that for you - It's nothing. Nothing at all. Because she was 8 and innocent and good and really, had I woken up sooner, the only thing she would have needed saving from was the non-sense she was being fed from a pastor who got uncomfortable when I started asking some questions of my own.

Christians tell their kids all sorts of things that are bullshit just to indoctrinate them into brainwashed thinking that a magical sky daddy loves them but.... is going to send them to hell unless they give him all of their unconditional love and always put him first. Fuck that. I can't see you - I ain't putting you first. Period. You fail to show up during crucial times in my life where people have told me you'd actually be there, but you fail miserably in that regard. You watch people starve to death when you could easily provide mana from heaven, yet you fail. You watch people dying of disease you could so, in your omni-everything, abolish, yet you fail. You get piled into the "things I don't give two fucks about" section of my life. And I can sleep at night knowing I don't have to worry about some stupid imaginary deity sending me to some imaginary hell because I refuse to drink their kool-aid.

I'm just telling you what most Christians denominations believe. Sorry it does not fit into your narrative of what is wrong with Christianity. 

Your 8 year old baptism example does not make your point. Baptism is an public affirmation of salvation. Of course the question will be does she believe Jesus is her personal savior and died of her sins--you just defined being a Christian. If you didn't think she understood such a thing, she had no business the subject of believer's baptism.

Messages In This Thread
RE: I am about to ask a serious but utterly reprehensible question - by SteveII - January 31, 2017 at 9:47 am

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Hello Atheists, Agnostic here, and I would love to ask you a question about NDEs Vaino-Eesti 33 5857 April 8, 2017 at 12:28 am
Last Post: Tokikot
  A serious question for theists dyresand 35 5053 November 12, 2016 at 7:06 pm
Last Post: Funky_Gibbon
  Ethics question for theists - serious - looking for opinions not argument. drfuzzy 36 4863 September 27, 2016 at 1:39 pm
Last Post: drfuzzy
  Theists ask me a question dyresand 34 7748 January 5, 2016 at 1:14 am
Last Post: God of Mr. Hanky
  Serious moral question for theist. dyresand 30 7498 September 1, 2015 at 10:13 am
Last Post: Crossless2.0
  [extremely serious]The Truth Behind Christianity. Stephanie113 5 2236 August 19, 2015 at 3:58 am
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  Why So Serious? Servatum 11 2531 November 5, 2014 at 5:50 am
Last Post: Nintentacle
Exclamation serious question dyresand 59 7760 October 30, 2014 at 9:08 pm
Last Post: Lek
  Voter's Guide for Serious Catholics Dolorian 22 6486 September 11, 2014 at 5:43 pm
Last Post: vodkafan
  Dear Christians... Are you F***ing serious? Proof of Blood and Ark xr34p3rx 29 15428 January 12, 2014 at 2:26 pm
Last Post: xr34p3rx