Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:13 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Books about atheism
Books about atheism
What exactly are they about?
And who is the target group for such a book? Like who buys them more? Atheists, or theists?
I mean, it'd make sense if theists bought it, but why would an atheist buy a book about atheism?
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
RE: Books about atheism
Books about atheism are pretty much like websites about atheism, just more portable and easier to read in the bath. It would be nice to imagine theists buying and reading them, perhaps a lot actually do out of curiosity or for the purposes of quote mining and similar nefarious activities. However it's probably true that the majority of such books end up on atheists' bookshelves - and why not, it's a growing target demographic.

Personally, I own a fair number of what you would call atheist books; the classics of course, such as The God Delusion and (thanks to a friend) God Is Not Great, plus some which are clearly related though perhaps less-atheisty in tone, like The Blind Watchmaker, Climbing Mount Improbable and the like. Then there's Jesus Never Existed which needs little in the way of introduction. Note to self: really must get a copy of God Vs. The Bible (wonder if I can scrounge an autograph?)

As for why an atheist would buy these books: it's a very interesting subject, that's why. It's not the only genre I read but it's always interesting to read another opinion on these things. It's part of the reason I hang out here.

Any help?
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Well, somewhat. But what do these books talk of?
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
That's really what I was getting at in the first sentence of my reply: take a look at a typical atheist resource website and imagine that in book form. It's not a perfect model, since books have to have a different structure to an interactive website, however it will give you a general sense. If you really want the full experience, you might try reading one.

I apologise if this isn't your intention but I'm getting the impression that you're essentially trying to say that, since atheism is a non-belief, books about it are pointless or are probably basically all saying the same things. If this is your intention, I wish you'd come right out with it and say so. Again, if I'm reading too much into your words than you mean I do apologise.
I realise on reflection that I might have come off sounding a bit rude there, which wasn't in my mind at all. Assuming your intentions are based on a genuine curiosity, here's a couple of things I found for you to get an idea of what such books are about:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/God_Is_Not_Great

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/The_God_Delusion

Those will give you a sample of the general flavour; however I (and I'm sure others will also) recommend that you open a real copy and read for yourself.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
Just a random thought....

It appears to me that atheists are more involved in "forming their own opinions" and as such there is a market for books written for them.

Hope that helps mehmet. Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Why don't you read one and find out?

The best book to read to make you a confirmed Atheist is the bible. Big Grin
"People are like black holes. They are self centred!"
"You are what was in your mother's genes and what was in your father's jeans!"
"If the Buck stops here, how can the Doe go all the way?"

(Albert's original quotes)
(January 5, 2012 at 4:50 am)Godless Wrote: The best book to read to make you a confirmed Atheist is the bible. Big Grin

Yep!

Does it EVERY TIME!! Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
no book on atheism is actually about atheism, they're just about what is wrong with theism and religion.

a book on atheism could be written in 1 or 2 sentences.

'lack of belief in a god, or, no reason to believe in something with no evidence.'

and a reminding thought;

'extraordinary claims require extraordinary evidence'
(January 4, 2012 at 10:15 pm)kılıç_mehmet Wrote: What exactly are they about?
It varies, mostly they are about why the author doesn't believe in a god, or why the author thinks no one should. Some are just to argue against specific theistic claims.

Quote:And who is the target group for such a book? Like who buys them more? Atheists, or theists?
Probably atheists or people who are having doubts about their faith.

Quote:I mean, it'd make sense if theists bought it, but why would an atheist buy a book about atheism?

Because they are not about atheism as an ism. They are usually about theism or sometimes a specific religion.

One book for example is "50 reasons people believe in a god" by Guy P Harrison. It is not about atheism, but it shows in separate chapters the reasons theists give for their belief, and why the author doesn't agree with them. For atheists who already are out of the faith or like me never believed in the first place, the book is useful as a guide to argue against theistic claims but nothing more than that. I own the book, but to me there is nothing in there I didn't already know so I hardly ever look at it any more. It is a very good book which for my taste sometimes goes too far overboard by being nice to various religions, but in itself the counters this book makes are good ones without the harsh and/or condescending undertones of a Dawkins or Hitchens.

I have known people who were in doubt where this book has helped. That doesn't mean it is a miracle "cure" for all theists, but it is a helpful tool for those already open to different viewpoints to see if it helps them in their beliefs or unbelief.

I think these type of books are the best. They offer a more varied viewpoint than "Religion sucks and theists are idiots" which some atheist books do promote. They are written specifically to pander to the atheists, and only atheists would ever buy it. It could be that if a believer gets a firm enough kick in the genitals from reading a book like that, that it shakes their beliefs so hard they deconvert, but I doubt that very much.

Theists have similar books like that. Pretty much anything Ray Comfort writes is just food for Christians to fuel their beliefs even more. The books of Josh McDowell however try at least to show atheists where they are wrong according to him in a more honest and straightforward way (though not very convincing to me, I can at least see where he comes from). As an apologist I have more respect for him than Lee Strobel for instance. I really doubt many atheists would buy books from Strobel or McDowell or Comfort, I think their main reader base is very firmly theistic. The only ones I could see buying their books regularly are the ones that will counter their claims actively.
Best regards,
Leo van Miert
Horsepower is how hard you hit the wall --Torque is how far you take the wall with you
Pastafarian

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Books regarding atheism TrustMeOrNot 81 6795 November 24, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  Atheism VS Christian Atheism? IanHulett 80 27123 June 13, 2017 at 11:09 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2566 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Holy books on trial mcolafson 7 1564 September 29, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Favorite Atheist books? TrueChristian 15 4134 December 31, 2015 at 1:24 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  Atheism, Scientific Atheism and Antitheism tantric 33 12477 January 18, 2015 at 1:05 pm
Last Post: helyott
  Do we need more Atheist books for kids? process613 43 7527 November 30, 2014 at 4:14 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Strong/Gnostic Atheism and Weak/Agnostic Atheism Dystopia 26 12152 August 30, 2014 at 1:34 pm
Last Post: Dawsonite
  Books on dealing with suffering rybak303 14 7698 April 20, 2014 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Respectable books on apologetics? simpleinterest 35 7527 April 17, 2014 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Cato