Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 7:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Writers: if you're not Judeo-Christian, chances are you suck.
Writers: if you're not Judeo-Christian, chances are you suck.
lulz.

http://mikeduran.com/2012/01/why-a-judeo...d-fiction/

[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
RE: Writers: if you're not Judeo-Christian, chances are you suck.
Haha, quite amusing.
Cunt
Homer must be PISSED right now.
So, basically, the Sci-Fi of Douglas Adams, Isaac Asimov, Iain Banks, Arthur C. Clarke, Harlan Ellison, Robert Heinlein, H.P. Lovecraft, Robert Anton Wilson, and H.G. Wells, some of the most influential authors of the genre are totally devoid of merit?

And if I didn't feel constrained by the genre, there's also Margret Atwood, Jorge Luis Borges, Charles Bukowski, Umberto Eco, George Eliot, E.M. Forster,Mark Haddon, Michel Houellebecq, Victor Hugo, Steig Larsson, D.H. Lawrence, Nahgib Mahfouz, Somerset Maugham, Arthur Miller, George Orwell, Philip Pullman, Thomas Pynchon, Salman Rushdie, Jean-Paul Sartre, Rod Serling, Lemony Snicket, Robert Louis Stevenson, Mark Twain, Voltaire, and Kurt Vonnegut. And that's just a list of non-Judeo-Christian fiction writers I'm somewhat familiar with!
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Philip Pullman and Umberto Eco don't count, Rye - they framed their stories in religious context (The Name of the Rose and His Dark Materials). Geez...get it straight. Tongue
Quote:Whether it was Klingons or Imperial stormtroopers, the anti-American archetypes abounded.

And now - we have become the Romulans.
(January 10, 2012 at 11:01 am)thesummerqueen Wrote: Philip Pullman and Umberto Eco don't count, Rye - they framed their stories in religious context (The Name of the Rose and His Dark Materials). Geez...get it straight. Tongue

They do, in fact, count, because, if I'm reading the article right, Mike Duran (the author) seems to consider it impossible that one can frame stories in a religious context without embracing the "Judeo-Christian worldview" wholeheartedly. Quite possibly, with this in mind, those two are more relevant than any of the other non sci-fi authors.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
I must admit that fiction that is based wholly or partially on judeochristian mythology, theology or whatever are really nice, but obviously, it's not necessary.
For example, Conan, which was based on the barbarians of the antique and middle ages.
[Image: trkdevletbayraklar.jpg]
Üze Tengri basmasar, asra Yir telinmeser, Türük bodun ilingin törüngin kim artatı udaçı erti?
I'm teasing - I haven't read through the comments where my boy Josh is fighting the good fight to clarify what this nutter is on about. He posted this to a few of us on Skeptalk right before I went to class yesterday.
In a way, he is partially correct if your intended audience is American (because there are so many Christians here), since if you write with a slight religious bent or hidden religious meaning the books might sell better to those who like seeing their favorite delusion in a different setting.

However, to say that you have to have a religious worldview to be a successful author is just plain stupid.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Embrace Judeo-Christian culture and values! Is this politician serious? Greatest I am 14 3454 February 9, 2015 at 10:01 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
Video "God is NOT Dead" the Christian film directed by Harold Cronk CristW 28 6657 October 11, 2014 at 8:52 pm
Last Post: Zidneya
  What is it about America? Does America's education system just suck? Xavier 87 30655 September 4, 2012 at 9:45 am
Last Post: Faith No More
  How to Suck at Your Religion Cinjin 11 4187 September 1, 2012 at 3:36 am
Last Post: CaseyTheAthie
  Having Far More Respect For Beliefs Of Non Judeo Christian Theists Xavier 22 12361 February 26, 2012 at 11:47 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Suck on this one you pony worshipping heathens! leo-rcc 16 3697 October 29, 2011 at 11:18 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  The Christian God is NOT simple. theVOID 103 27056 July 21, 2011 at 5:19 am
Last Post: Anomalocaris
  First Order Predicate Logic vs The Judeo-Christian creator pack3tg0st 14 6556 April 8, 2010 at 11:58 pm
Last Post: Tiberius