Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 11:12 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
"No secularism please, we're british"
"No secularism please, we're british"
http://www.independent.co.uk/news/uk/hom...917549.htm

Quote:What is staggering about the secularists is their arrogance and the shortness of their memories. The materialist utopianism of the Communists and Nazis is to blame for all the worst atrocities of the past century. Dawkins may appear to make sense, but it is incredible that we should be ready to pay serious attention to a prophet whose message is the same as those whose schemes led straight to the hells of the Soviet Union, Nazi Germany, Mao's Cultural Revolution and the Khmer Rouge.

“It is surely harmful to the souls to make it a heresy to believe what is proved” - Galileo Galilei
RE: "No secularism please, we're british"
Yet another "Hitler and Stalin were atheists so therefore all atheists are evil" assertion.

I don't pay any attention to articles like this, they just wind me up.
The truth may be puzzling. It may take some work to grapple with. It may be counterintuitive. It may contradict deeply held prejudices. It may not be consonant with what we desperately want to be true. But our preferences do not determine what's true - Carl Sagan
Speaking of short memories: http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Religion_in_Nazi_Germany

Whoops, someone forgot to do their research. He also seemed to confuse being in favour of secularism with being an atheist. I wonder, since atheists reject all god concepts how would a secular world (assuming it DID mean an atheist world which it doesn't) be defined by Christianity? Wouldn't it be equally defined by Islam, Judaism, Hinduism, etc?

Easy enough mistakes to make when you've reached a forgone conclusion, I guess.
I thought the article was going quite well until the laughably opinionated nazi comments
Quote:But, stripped of fanaticism and self-righteousness, religious faith can do what secularism cannot: open doors on to areas of human experience – compassion, altruism, serenity, even enlightenment – which have no meaning for the secularists. The statement "there are no atheists in foxholes" may be a canard, but genuinely non-egoistical behaviour is much more likely from those for whom the ego and its grasping needs do not define ultimate reality.

Compassion, my feelings for the mother of twelve denied contraception, no I can't apply the word compassion to myself, it's to good for me.

Altruism, well I kinda feel my natural state is I wish the person I meet well, what are we supposed be a bunch of Grinches?

Serenity, it's a fleeting thing but if it's had through fantasy it's not worth much.

I've discussed the dehumanizing of atheists before, why don't they just call us evil hell spawn and be done with it?

[Image: YgZ8E.png]
I was pleased to see the following quote at the bottom of the articule.

Lord Sacks; Chief Rabbi
"There has to be a division... Religion loves power and it should always be denied power"

Wow, immense respect for the Rabbi.

Even scarier was the article attempting to claim via twisted reasoning Christopher Hitchens was hinting towards a deistic view in an article after he was diagnosed with cancer. Pretty sure he wasn't...
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
when people are this stupid I cant take them seriously. You would think by now with the easy access to knowledge, that they would realize that Hitler was a catholic and his act was in the name of God.

Communism doesnt even represent atheism. considering the fact that communists countries now have religions. The initial intention of communism forbidding religion has nothing to do with atheism but more of gaining complete devotion of the people to the party. Hey Kim Jong Il was a god to the communist koreans. Atheism is based on knowledge and logic, not power.
Serious fuckwits who do not underestand secularism is equality.
(February 15, 2012 at 1:25 pm)passionatefool Wrote: when people are this stupid I cant take them seriously. You would think by now with the easy access to knowledge,

Most media, in my eyes, are scum. Anything for a story and any chance to push their agenda thinly veiled as reporting the facts. I recently saw some conservative media reporting that Obama had claimed he was the fourth greatest president of the US. I watched the interview and he said no such thing. The only thing I trust is source material, like full unedited videos and failing that full transcripts. It's a fucking insult that they think people will fall for out of context soundbites and quote mines, but the reality is people do. Still, I'm inclined to think that at least some of them are just incompetent and don't even realise they're distorting and bending the truth. I think conservative media is the worst, but I don't just liberal or any other media for that matter.

(February 15, 2012 at 1:25 pm)passionatefool Wrote: that they would realize that Hitler was a catholic and his act was in the name of God.

Seems unlikely Hitler was actually a Catholic later in life given some of his comments regarding Christianity in private. I hear it said he was one a lot but I can't see any reason to believe it. Regardless it's pretty clear he wasn't an atheist, probably a non-denominational Christian or a deist as far as I can tell, although I gladly admit I'm no expert.

(February 15, 2012 at 1:25 pm)passionatefool Wrote: Atheism is based on knowledge and logic, not power.

Not necessarily. A = not / without. Theist = god(s). Atheism is a lack of belief in god. There's no guarantee that an atheist will be knowledgeable or logical. Atheism has no more basis than a lack of anything else. Perhaps a somewhat trivial point, but I thought it was worth making.
Faith Rules 'end at temple door' Says Equalities Chief (UK)

Looks like Secularism is winning so far in the UK, hope this trend continues.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  British Non-Catholic Historian on Historical Longevity of the Roman Catholic Church. Nishant Xavier 36 1854 August 6, 2023 at 4:48 pm
Last Post: LinuxGal
  Fear of hell, advice please orthodox-man 120 24443 March 10, 2018 at 10:08 am
Last Post: Fake Messiah
  Just a bit of advice please MattyVigilante 17 2528 March 1, 2018 at 4:09 am
Last Post: SaStrike
  Religious tolerance in British crown dependencies and British overseas territories viocjit 12 1962 February 25, 2018 at 10:49 am
Last Post: viocjit
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5393 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Please correct me where I am wrong Won2blv 35 6784 May 21, 2015 at 9:43 am
Last Post: Aractus
  Atheists only vote please: Do absolute MORAL truths exist? Is Rape ALWAYS "wrong"? Tsun Tsu 326 64981 February 25, 2015 at 3:41 pm
Last Post: robvalue
  I need a lttle help with a few questions please Guesto123 17 3245 January 21, 2015 at 1:04 pm
Last Post: Natachan
Exclamation Can someone explain this to me..? please... dyresand 3 1432 November 5, 2014 at 10:32 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Atheists Only Please: Serious Question About Love naimless 50 11336 September 10, 2014 at 7:32 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4