Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 6:48 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Why do ghosts have to wear sheets over their heads.
Why do ghosts have to wear sheets over their heads.
A nutty friend of mine is convinced that this (see video) is real footage of a ghost. My 10 year old daughter asked me why it had a sheet over it's head. "It can't see" she said. Why are ghosts depicted with sheets over their heads? If a ghost were a real spirit of the dead wouldn't they be naked? Was the sheet something that covered the body after they died? If the latter case is true how come there are no flowers or patterns on the sheets? How come it takes a 10 year old to point this out?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature=pla...hjeCWDdft0
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

RE: Why do ghosts have to wear sheets over their heads.
I expect ghosts involving fabric like structures evolved from rather fabric like 'manifestations' of "ectoplasm" during seances.

[Image: ectoplasm3.jpg]

Ghost descriptions from prior to those times in folklore books all describe perfectly normal human beings, clothed, unclothed or somewhere in between.
[Image: Untitled2_zpswaosccbr.png]
I'm convinced.
There's a reason that ghosts are seen in sheets, and my main source for this is a TVTropes article: it has long been a tradition in fiction to portray ghosts as, if not dressed as they were in life, then they are usually dressed they were in death. For a long time, this meant grave clothes and a long, white, flowing burial shroud. And sometimes, especially in old productions of Hamlet, they were portrayed as suits of armour. Eventually, it became too unwieldy, expensive, and ridiculous-looking to use, and so, it became common to see ghosts buried in their shrouds. And somehow, the fact that we no longer use burial shrouds like this has no bearing on this tradition.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
(February 17, 2012 at 2:44 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I'm convinced.

What was it that convinced you? The white bed sheet, addias sneakers, or the clarity of the footage? Lol. ROFLOL When I die I'll make sure to wear addias sneakers. I think they look cool on a ghost.

@Thesummerqueen: Yeah, from what I recall, in the past ghosts wore the clothes they wore in life -I didn't know that clothing had souls. Did sheets become popular when people needed cheap and easy Halloween costumes (the sheet representing the ghost that appeared more like a vapor than a clothed human being)?
I have studied the Bible and the theology behind Christianity for many years. I have been to many churches. I have walked the depth and the breadth of the religion and, as a result of this, I have a lot of bullshit to scrape off the bottom of my shoes. ~Ziploc Surprise

(February 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm)Ziploc Surprise Wrote: @Thesummerqueen: Yeah, from what I recall, in the past ghosts wore the clothes they wore in life -I didn't know that clothing had souls. Did sheets become popular when people needed cheap and easy Halloween costumes (the sheet representing the ghost that appeared more like a vapor than a clothed human being)?

More like when theatre companies needed a cheap and easy costume for Hamlet's Ghost. Oh, and it's actually supposed to be a burial shroud.

Er, I'm pretty sure that video is a parody. All they've done is take some "Ghost Hunters" footage and replaced the "ghost" footage with their own. The people who do the "Ghost Hunters" show aren't retarded; they are very clever and know exactly how to fake stuff...this isn't something they'd do.
(February 17, 2012 at 2:54 pm)Ziploc Surprise Wrote:
(February 17, 2012 at 2:44 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: I'm convinced.

What was it that convinced you?

What, are you joking? It had a sheet on and you could see through it and everything. How could you not be convinced by that?

(February 17, 2012 at 3:05 pm)Tiberius Wrote: Er, I'm pretty sure that video is a parody. All they've done is take some "Ghost Hunters" footage and replaced the "ghost" footage with their own. The people who do the "Ghost Hunters" show aren't retarded; they are very clever and know exactly how to fake stuff...this isn't something they'd do.
I never watch the show. I only see snippets of it as I'm surfing by it. It does look like it was edited but I don't know if the show does this hokey stuff or not or whether it was done afterwards.

@Rev rye. I guess you're right. I really don't know much about the subject. You have to think though, even if it was a burial shroud, don't you think the spirit would have difficulty seeing through the sheet? I know that this is a situation of "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer" but I wouldn't have asked the stupid question if I wasn't prepared mentally for this. Hee, hee.

(February 17, 2012 at 3:18 pm)Ziploc Surprise Wrote: @Rev rye. I guess you're right. I really don't know much about the subject. You have to think though, even if it was a burial shroud, don't you think the spirit would have difficulty seeing through the sheet? I know that this is a situation of "ask a stupid question, get a stupid answer" but I wouldn't have asked the stupid question if I wasn't prepared mentally for this. Hee, hee.
Well, a lot of sheets are translucent; My bedsheets are black, but if I put my eyes against it, I can see just fine. It's a little fuzzy, but at least I can probably see my way around, but only if it was bright. Of course, eye holes might help.

And, because I had failed to do this earlier, here's my personal favourite appearance of bedsheet ghosts:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=qLrnkK2YEcE&ob=av3e

They show up on occasion in the video in choir form.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Ghosts: What I saw, but I still can't logically believe in them x2theone2x 25 5096 July 15, 2014 at 11:49 pm
Last Post: Mystical
  Would you vote for it and is it fair, to have the Illuminati pay their share? Greatest I am 22 7730 April 28, 2013 at 6:58 pm
Last Post: Greatest I am
  I don't believe in Ghosts but I have seen one. MrSqurk 96 33821 May 22, 2012 at 11:04 am
Last Post: fuckass365
  On the topic of "ghosts" fuckass365 7 4034 May 18, 2012 at 9:52 am
Last Post: fuckass365
  Ghosts Phil 1 2081 March 17, 2012 at 2:01 am
Last Post: Welsh cake
  Rumpology and the Rise of Hollow Heads JollyForr 4 1515 November 13, 2011 at 8:23 am
Last Post: Justtristo