Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 1:40 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Messier 51 (The Whirlpool Galaxy)
Messier 51 (The Whirlpool Galaxy)
Managed to get to the observatory and image at least one object tonight, though the seeing was poor.

[Image: m51-1.jpg]

The Whirlpool Galaxy, (Merging Galaxies) In Ursa Major

10 four-minute exposures, stacked, dark subtracted, flats applied, for a total exposure of forty minutes. Cropped image. Notice the additional galaxy in the top right corner.

Aquisition software - Canon EOS Utility, Guided with PHD guiding, Stacked with DeepSky Stacker, processed with Adobe Photoshop CS3

My Camera:

Hutech modified Canon T1i

Observatory Equipment:

88mm f5.6 Williams Optics refractor

Losmandy G-11 Gemini Goto mount on steel pier

Celestron 80mm f5 guide Scope

Orion Starshooter autoguider

Taken at the Louisville Astronomical Society Observatory in Curby, Indiana, on March 27, 1012
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Messier 51 (The Whirlpool Galaxy)
How would I go about getting pictures like this myself? Is the majority of the equipment yours or do you use stuff provided by the Observatory? I have no idea how it works.
(March 27, 2012 at 6:45 am)Mosrhun Wrote: How would I go about getting pictures like this myself? Is the majority of the equipment yours or do you use stuff provided by the Observatory? I have no idea how it works.

Well, there is a story behind this picture I'm reluctant to tell, but, oh well, I'll tell it anyway.

I was hoping to go to the observatory last night because I had not been in a while. I managed to scrounge up enough gas money to get there. But I had to repack my equipment in my car because I had removed it yesterday to take a friend's mom home (she had been visiting for a week or so). So I was busy packing everything and was in a hurry because it was getting late in the day. So off I went, driving 60 miles to the observatory. On the way, I kept getting the feeling that I had left something behind. Then it dawned in me - - - I had left the telescope behind (but had the mount and everything else)!!!

Well hell! I was already half way there, so I decided to go ahead and go. We have plenty of scopes there (and an astrophotography set up), so it wasn't a really big deal, but I would rather have used my own scope.

Anyway, I pulled the crappy camera off the astrophotography set up (which is officially a no no, but I'm on the instrument committee, so screw em!), and put mine on it. This picture is the one image I managed to get last night/this morning. The seeing was pretty bad, though the sky was transparent.

Anyway, to answer your questions, my best advice would be to contact a local astronomy club in your area and see if they will let you attend a meeting. They are the best sources of information for getting started. I am sure they would be eager to let you attend one of their outings so you can see a variety of scopes and ask questions. It is the best way to decided exactly what you want to do (observe, image, or both) and what you will need to accomplish your goals. And most moderate sized clubs have scopes they will loan out to members.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
Orgasmic! orogenicman!! Why are you NOT selling these?? Big Grin
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 27, 2012 at 7:25 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Orgasmic! orogenicman!! Why are you NOT selling these?? Big Grin

You can pm me with your order, and I can reply with an address where you can send the money order. Angel Cloud

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(March 27, 2012 at 8:16 am)orogenicman Wrote:
(March 27, 2012 at 7:25 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote: Orgasmic! orogenicman!! Why are you NOT selling these?? Big Grin

You can pm me with your order, and I can reply with an address where you can send the money order. Angel Cloud

Give us a bit but YES!! Heart would rather support some one I "know" than some bum-fuck photographer I don't know! So we go searching through you threads??

Even if it is only to support your hobby Heart
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
(March 27, 2012 at 8:54 am)KichigaiNeko Wrote:
(March 27, 2012 at 8:16 am)orogenicman Wrote:

Give us a bit but YES!! Heart would rather support some one I "know" than some bum-fuck photographer I don't know! So we go searching through you threads??

Even if it is only to support your hobby Heart

I appreciate that. I will get back to you. My photobucket account is down right now. I have some posters I've made that I want you to look at, if you are really interesting in buying some.

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(March 27, 2012 at 8:58 am)orogenicman Wrote: I appreciate that. I will get back to you. My photobucket account is down right now. I have some posters I've made that I want you to look at, if you are really interesting in buying some.

We can wait..when you are ready mate Thumb up

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  13.2 Billion Year Old Galaxy Minimalist 27 5218 September 11, 2015 at 3:55 pm
Last Post: vorlon13
  Messier 45, in Taurus orogenicman 7 1326 March 31, 2015 at 4:46 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Honey, I Blew up the Galaxy AFTT47 0 694 March 16, 2015 at 6:43 pm
Last Post: AFTT47
  Messier 20, the Trifid Nebula orogenicman 4 1284 February 15, 2015 at 9:51 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Messier 33, The Triangulum Galaxy orogenicman 0 716 April 26, 2014 at 11:08 pm
  Oldest Galaxy Yet..... Minimalist 5 1593 October 24, 2013 at 10:55 am
Last Post: pocaracas
  Messier 33, in Triangulum orogenicman 8 2727 September 25, 2013 at 7:04 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  MOND predicts dwarf galaxy feature prior to observations little_monkey 7 2496 September 1, 2013 at 4:43 pm
Last Post: LastPoet
  Messier 20, The Trifid Nebula, In Sagittarius orogenicman 6 2671 June 7, 2013 at 1:06 pm
Last Post: Baalzebutt
  Messier 3, Globular Cluster in Canes Venatici orogenicman 12 3608 April 17, 2013 at 1:14 am