Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 7:52 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Smiley face in Iroquios Park, Louisville, KY
Smiley face in Iroquios Park, Louisville, KY
A friend and I were walking in the park yesterday and came across this:

[Image: smiley.jpg]
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'
-- Samuel "Mark Twain" Clemens

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

- Galileo Galilei (1564-1642)

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
RE: Smiley face in Iroquios Park, Louisville, KY
Unfortunately out of focus, underlit, and pathetically PPd. Try again.
Although rare, those stumps are actually naturally occurring.

They're called Smiley Face Stumps and scientists have deduced for years that god put them on this planet to make sure we have a nice day.
[Image: Evolution.png]

(April 2, 2012 at 10:57 am)BoyWonder Wrote: Unfortunately out of focus, underlit, and pathetically PPd. Try again.

Perhaps your glasses need a new prescription and your monitor replaced. It is in perfect focus for the autofocus T1i kit lens that was used, and is, in fact, only slightly underexposed to emphasize the leaf shadows on the pavement. I would suggest that if you don't have anything good to say, best not to say anything.
'The difference between a Miracle and a Fact is exactly the difference between a mermaid and seal. It could not be expressed better.'

"I think that in the discussion of natural problems we ought to begin not with the scriptures, but with experiments, demonstrations, and observations".

"In short, Meyer has shown that his first disastrous book was not a fluke: he is capable of going into any field in which he has no training or research experience and botching it just as badly as he did molecular biology. As I've written before, if you are a complete amateur and don't understand a subject, don't demonstrate the Dunning-Kruger effect by writing a book about it and proving your ignorance to everyone else! "

- Dr. Donald Prothero
(April 2, 2012 at 12:40 pm)orogenicman Wrote:
(April 2, 2012 at 10:57 am)BoyWonder Wrote: Unfortunately out of focus, underlit, and pathetically PPd. Try again.

Perhaps your glasses need a new prescription and your monitor replaced. It is in perfect focus for the autofocus T1i kit lens that was used
ROFLOL Well, then that kit lens unfortunately is garbage! (FYI: that's par for the course with kit lenses). Try zooming in...
Quote:and is, in fact, only slightly underexposed to emphasize the leaf shadows on the pavement.
Resulting in inkblot shadows.
Quote:I would suggest that if you don't have anything good to say, best not to say anything.
I would suggest that if don't have any good photos to post, best not to post any photos. Especially if you can't handle critiques on them.
Is being a dick something you have to work at, or does it come naturally?
(April 2, 2012 at 6:47 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Is being a dick something you have to work at, or does it come naturally?

Just emulating a great American's diplomatic skills, Ronnie Reagan: "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". And what's good enough for an American president is good enough for me.
(April 2, 2012 at 4:50 pm)BoyWonder Wrote:
(April 2, 2012 at 12:40 pm)orogenicman Wrote:

Perhaps your glasses need a new prescription and your monitor replaced. It is in perfect focus for the autofocus T1i kit lens that was used
ROFLOL Well, then that kit lens unfortunately is garbage! (FYI: that's par for the course with kit lenses). Try zooming in...
Quote:and is, in fact, only slightly underexposed to emphasize the leaf shadows on the pavement.
Resulting in inkblot shadows.
Quote:I would suggest that if you don't have anything good to say, best not to say anything.
I would suggest that if don't have any good photos to post, best not to post any photos. Especially if you can't handle critiques on them.

Yes, unfortunately, the Canon kit lens is garbage, that is, the lens itself is crap: the rest of it is very good. But then, most lenses under $1,000 today are crap because they are made in China out of cheap glass. I would know since I've owned a lot of lenses in my day. I would be the first to admit that its crap, but you beat me to it.

The point of the photo, in case it went over your head, was not to make you or anyone else happy about its quality, but to put a smile on your face. It was, after all, a smiley face on a stump, not something you run across very often. I guess you missed it, eh? Perhaps you should change your screen name to Mr. Grumpy.

(April 2, 2012 at 8:02 pm)BoyWonder Wrote:
(April 2, 2012 at 6:47 pm)Cthulhu Dreaming Wrote: Is being a dick something you have to work at, or does it come naturally?

Just emulating a great American's diplomatic skills, Ronnie Reagan: "If you can't stand the heat, get out of the kitchen". And what's good enough for an American president is good enough for me.

Well,that explains it, then. Undecided

- Dr. Donald Prothero

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  South Park makes another ep about Catholic Church Fake Messiah 9 1569 October 6, 2018 at 6:02 am
Last Post: Gwaithmir
  This video will put a smile on your face. ignoramus 3 406 September 15, 2017 at 8:04 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  South Park 201 Aractus 5 3386 April 17, 2014 at 3:54 am
Last Post: Aractus
  2014 Thunder Over Louisville 25th Anniversary orogenicman 1 1010 April 13, 2014 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: orogenicman
  Another image from Iroquois Park orogenicman 4 2987 April 3, 2012 at 4:09 am
Last Post: orogenicman
  The Spielberg Face thesummerqueen 0 848 December 18, 2011 at 2:31 pm
Last Post: thesummerqueen
  Jesus Christ in Richmond Park Welsh cake 0 1041 November 24, 2011 at 3:31 pm
Last Post: Welsh cake
  South Park searchingforanswers 8 2512 October 5, 2011 at 4:18 pm
Last Post: searchingforanswers
  Make yourself a South Park Character Rev. Rye 13 6383 September 17, 2011 at 7:59 pm
Last Post: theVOID
  CNN segment on South Park threat with Ayaan Hirsi Ali. leo-rcc 8 4289 April 22, 2010 at 10:52 am
Last Post: tavarish