Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 3:10 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I've just realised that I can't debate theists
I've just realised that I can't debate theists
So, I was debating a christian the other day, and they said something utterly ridiculous - as they are wont to do - and I couldn't contain my temper. This got me to thinking; I've never been able to debate with theists, without losing my temper.

Every time that someone quotes scripture, or uses circular reasoning to support their argument, it really pisses me off to the point where I see red. I'm talking spots before my eyes and veins popping in my neck. Picture stressed Eric; only with a handsome Irish guy as the main character.

Anyway, can anyone give me advice on how to better handle these situations?
RE: I've just realised that I can't debate theists
Well, then you are in the wrong place, because this place is full of theists that will argue everything you post...lol
(May 2, 2012 at 6:34 pm)gringoperry Wrote: Anyway, can anyone give me advice on how to better handle these situations?

Don't log in to these forums. Undecided
[Image: Evolution.png]

That's what I miss about our old forums. You could just tell people to fuck off. Big Grin Nah, but I think you can, Gringo. In my experience, you are patient and apologetic when you're not.
You can debate theists. Provided the debate is for the benefit of the audience, rather than the theist.
You can't debate rationally with someone who didn't arrive rationally at their conclusions. I forget who said that.

The best method is not to let frustration make you angry, simply concentrate on their points and follow through. Even the best apologist can't get around the fact that their belief is based upon trust that their "holy text" of choice is telling the truth to the exclusion of all other possibilities for its existence.
Self-authenticating private evidence is useless, because it is indistinguishable from the illusion of it. ― Kel, Kelosophy Blog

If you’re going to watch tele, you should watch Scooby Doo. That show was so cool because every time there’s a church with a ghoul, or a ghost in a school. They looked beneath the mask and what was inside?
The f**king janitor or the dude who runs the waterslide. Throughout history every mystery. Ever solved has turned out to be. Not Magic.
― Tim Minchin, Storm
Online is a different arena than out in the field. I too have more temper than patience when confronted with the live article. Here I can distract myself with QI on YouTube or whatever else takes my fancy. Besides which, online, we atheists can hunt in packs.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
This is why I don't do much debating anymore. I make a comment when the urge strikes or a joke where it will amuse me. I simply don't get caught up in the big discussions anymore. I actual prefer watching them unfold. Besides, most of these folks (AF Members) are much better at expressing what I'd want to say anyway. I just kudos those that say what I might have said and leave the frustration to them that still enjoy it.
(May 2, 2012 at 6:37 pm)Shell B Wrote: That's what I miss about our old forums. You could just tell people to fuck off. Big Grin Nah, but I think you can, Gringo. In my experience, you are patient and apologetic when you're not.

I'm tired of being apologetic though; they seem to take it as a weakening of my position. I've landed myself in a hell of a predicament because of it though, but I'll have to PM you about that.

To everyone else - do any of you have an extremely short fuse, and are prone to exploding? If so, how do you deal with that?
With me, it depends on the situation. Over here such opportunities for live debate are few and far between, and I don't go looking for them. In the past, when I was more likely to encounter these situations (which I don't anymore; an involved story) I would often feel my temper flaring to the point where I knew I'd have to walk away or do/say something regrettable. My Sam was well aware of this and would grab my arm and steer me in some other direction if she spotted someone preaching in the street or whatever. The one thing guaranteed to set my explosion off is the smug, condescending smile that they all-too-often wear when they realise they have no other leg to stand on, usually with some biblespam and a "well, I'll pray for you to find the truth" or similar as a bonus feature.

If my opponent is more open to hearing me out, even if they don't agree with what I'm saying, and they don't press my detonation button, we might have an interesting exchange of views. It's quite startlingly rare for that to be the case, I have to say.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Where to Debate Theists? Cephus 27 5860 April 13, 2017 at 8:51 pm
Last Post: Nanny
  Can I just say why I love you guys? Won2blv 13 2441 December 11, 2016 at 3:05 pm
Last Post: Alex K
  Has the Atheism vs. Theism debate played it's course? MJ the Skeptical 49 10752 August 12, 2016 at 8:43 am
Last Post: MJ the Skeptical
  Well, I just can't change that I'm Agnostic... LivingNumbers6.626 15 3025 July 6, 2016 at 4:33 am
Last Post: Alex K
  Your favorite Atheist Theist Debate? Nuda900 11 4055 February 28, 2016 at 8:08 pm
Last Post: abaris
  A great atheist debate video. Jehanne 0 1182 February 14, 2016 at 12:04 am
Last Post: Jehanne
  Why can't we just be "excellent" to each other? thool 32 6023 December 5, 2015 at 9:33 pm
Last Post: Lek
  What you see when you win a religious debate... x3 IanHulett 15 5160 October 20, 2015 at 7:45 am
Last Post: robvalue
  AF friends, an opinion on Bible debate, please drfuzzy 25 5393 October 1, 2015 at 10:50 am
Last Post: houseofcantor
  Dawkins' Debate Rejections Shuffle 46 11201 August 28, 2015 at 8:04 pm
Last Post: Spooky