Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 9:54 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hello From Georgia
Hello From Georgia
Hey I am Jay from Georgia, Just came out as atheist about a month ago after hiding it for over 8 years to make others happy and for the fear of losing friends and family witch I have. My wife is not happy about it. So I am still learning how to deal with being out cast in a way. that's me so far lol.
RE: Hello From Georgia
Welcome along.

Even after all this time reading stories like this I still find the concept that being an atheist is something you have to 'come out as' really strange. As if it's some weird freakish thing that you want to keep quiet about. Here it's almost the opposite, not that anyone really cares either one way or the other.
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
Hi Jaybob and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Welcome, Jaybob Smile
(May 27, 2012 at 5:32 am)Darwinian Wrote: Welcome along.

Even after all this time reading stories like this I still find the concept that being an atheist is something you have to 'come out as' really strange. As if it's some weird freakish thing that you want to keep quiet about. Here it's almost the opposite, not that anyone really cares either one way or the other.

I was Mormon for years then left, then married a baptist. So I guess it just the fear that you will lose everyone around you is what made me hide it. Still even today just about all my wife family calls me " the devil" and will not talk to me so that the plus side of this HAHAHA.
Well, you'll find solace here Smile

Welcome
"Coming out" as anything of any label, is an unfortunate outcome of evolution where the alpha male majority rejects the "outsider" and expects it to conform or remain quiet.

All humans are minorities to another group somewhere in the world. The more we accept that as a species the easier it will be for the fewer in any given society. Technology is not a friend to bigotry or fascism.
Darwinian Wrote:Even after all this time reading stories like this I still find the concept that being an atheist is something you have to 'come out as' really strange. As if it's some weird freakish thing that you want to keep quiet about. Here it's almost the opposite, not that anyone really cares either one way or the other.

Well, here in God's own country, saying you're an atheist is like saying you hate America.

Welcome, new guy. I actually have a cousin named Jay Bob.
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Welcome. An atheist in the south! Who knew?!
Thank you all for the warm welcoming Smile

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Thumbs Up Hello Hello loush 17 6016 December 13, 2010 at 2:53 pm
Last Post: theophilus
  Hello hello! DgyJff 8 3650 August 30, 2010 at 2:47 pm
Last Post: RachelSkates