Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:39 am

Thread Rating:
  • 2 Vote(s) - 3 Average
Convert me!
Convert me!
Ok, here's my problem. I'm a Christian. I'm not mad keen on most other christians, we seem to attract more than our share of dicks. I'm downright embarrassed by mainstream christianities attempts at science. The bible seems to me full of contradiction and irrationality.

But here's the thing, religion offers something. An easy answer to lifes hard questions, a(broadly) functional moral code to live by, and something to cuddle when I get afraid of the dark (metaphysically speaking). I've heard religion described as a crutch and I think that's true. If I decide not to believe in god any longer, to throw away the crutch are there any upsides to replace all that stuff?
RE: Convert me!
(August 31, 2012 at 5:12 pm)Penhorse340 Wrote: Ok, here's my problem. I'm a Christian. I'm not mad keen on most other christians, we seem to attract more than our share of dicks. I'm downright embarrassed by mainstream christianities attempts at science. The bible seems to me full of contradiction and irrationality.

But here's the thing, religion offers something. An easy answer to lifes hard questions, a(broadly) functional moral code to live by, and something to cuddle when I get afraid of the dark (metaphysically speaking). I've heard religion described as a crutch and I think that's true. If I decide not to believe in god any longer, to throw away the crutch are there any upsides to replace all that stuff?

You no longer have to delude yourself. Plus, sleeping in on sundays and all the buggery you could wish for Wink
If more of us valued food and cheer and song above hoarded gold, it would be a merrier world. - J.R.R Tolkien
Quote:Ok, here's my problem. I'm a Christian.

At least we agree on the nature of the problem. That's a start.
You don't need to replace Christianity with anything.

Think of religion as a nasty virus or parasitic infection that affects your mind to the point of delusion. Once you manage to get rid of it why on Earth would you want a substitute?

Just enjoy the intellectual freedom!
[Image: cinjin_banner_border.jpg]
I'm not de-converting or converting you to anything mister.

I couldn't give a rat's arse what you do or don't believe in.
(August 31, 2012 at 5:12 pm)Penhorse340 Wrote: Ok, here's my problem. I'm a Christian. I'm not mad keen on most other christians, we seem to attract more than our share of dicks. I'm downright embarrassed by mainstream christianities attempts at science. The bible seems to me full of contradiction and irrationality.

You have it ass-backwards. It's once you stop believing in god that you realize the so-called crutch was a thin stick to begin with and you are perfectly capable of standing on your on. There are no easy answers to life's questions, a functional moral code does not need a religion and there is no reason to fear the metaphysical dark. However, even if replacement of religion was present in this matter, it should not affect your actual belief in god. However, once you face up to the facts and find that there is no reason to believe in a god, you'll find religion an inadequate crutch.

If its a crutch then it is one that makes its user balance precariously and slowly but surely disfigures him.

Right now you have a false hope, an "answer" that isn't really an answer. You know it isn't and it concerns you. What if I was to tell you that nobody really knew why the universe exists? Wouldn't it be like discovering a new world? Wouldn't that make mankind the most impressive of pioneers? Imagine what it must have been like for Christopher Columbus to have a blank map to fill with the wonders he found. Right now there is so many questions waiting to be answered, so much more waiting to be discovered. We don't even know if theres limits to our map. Every discovery is a victory to the ones who keep looking, who do not accept anything other than a complete answer.

We all die, safe to say our generation will probably die never knowing the truth behind our existence but our species spans so much more than one lifetime. It spans millions of years in which we have evolved, discovered and grown to reach potential we'd dared not dreamt of. The pursuit of knowledge has been one our species is inexorably drawn to and it is a path we will continue down indefinitely.
I find that more worthwhile than any religious fervour or false promise of eternal paradise.
"That is not dead which can eternal lie and with strange aeons even death may die." 
- Abdul Alhazred.
(August 31, 2012 at 5:12 pm)Penhorse340 Wrote: An easy answer to lifes hard questions

Tut, tut, that's lazy. Many of the hard questions can at the moment only be answered by "we don't know", but instead one can go out there and find out.

Quote:a(broadly) functional moral code to live by

Right, the same moral code that demands that I as a women should not speak when a congregation of men is present. No thank you. The golden rule is not hard to live by and Jesus was most definitely not the first one who thought of it.

Quote:and something to cuddle when I get afraid of the dark

It's always hard to be afraid, but once you relinquish that control over your life and realize that there are things you can't manage, that some things are random and no-one but yourself is looking after you, you can just chill and always make the best of your situation.

Quote:I've heard religion described as a crutch and I think that's true. If I decide not to believe in god any longer, to throw away the crutch are there any upsides to replace all that stuff?

As it has been said already, you don't need a crutch, you have been standing on your own all this time without knowing it.
And I see religion as a comfort blanket, not a crutch. It might keep you warm, but pull it over your head and you will not see anything beyond your own nose.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

There is no 'conversion' to atheism. You were converted when you were taught to believe in Christianity.

Upsides to not believing in a god any longer? It all depends on whether you care if your beliefs are true, or at least likely to be true, or not. You have to decide on your own if you want to be intellectually honest, especially to yourself.

There is no replacement for that 'warm and fuzzy' feeling you are currently getting from your beliefs when you no longer believe in a god.

You'd believe if you just opened your heart" is a terrible argument for religion. It's basically saying, "If you bias yourself enough, you can convince yourself that this is true." If religion were true, people wouldn't need faith to believe it -- it would be supported by good evidence.
Penhorse340, you either believe, or you don't.
Does it seem plausible that the big sky daddy exists?
If yes, you believe.
If not, you don't believe.

When you don't believe, you'll just have to keep your good friend close by: the "I don't know".
I don't know what caused the big bang.
I don't know why we're here (does there have to be a reason?!)
I don't know if this life leads to anything better.
I don't know a lot of things...
But heck, I don't delude myself with made up sky men with all the answers at the tip of their tongues: god did it; god works in mysterious ways, it was god's will.... -.-'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Wikihow "how to convert an atheist" drfuzzy 57 12537 February 24, 2016 at 2:23 am
Last Post: robvalue
Thumbs Down Bible says convert or kill the nonbelievers too. Thumbs down for Christianity... IanHulett 68 18323 January 5, 2016 at 11:49 am
Last Post: Drich
  A Question for Catholics: Convert or Die Metis 4 1915 July 14, 2015 at 3:51 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  Why would someone convert to Catholicism? Pope Leo Decrapio 17 5151 January 23, 2014 at 9:57 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Christians, why are you hear (If you want to convert atheists read this) Lemonvariable72 66 18562 September 7, 2013 at 10:36 am
Last Post: max-greece
  christians! Come and convert me! annatar 63 15228 July 15, 2010 at 9:15 pm
Last Post: Godhead