Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 2:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Sir Isaac Newton Time life said he was the greatest scientific thinker of our time
Sir Isaac Newton Time life said he was the greatest scientific thinker of our time
Sir Isaac Newton's work represents some of the greatest contributions to science ever made by an individual. Most notably, Newton derived the Law of Universal Gravitation, invented the branch of mathematics called Calculus, and performed experiments investigating the nature of light and color. He also was scholar of the Bible and devoted much time to its study.

Sir Isaac had an accomplished artisan fashion for him a small scale model of our solar system which was to be put in a room in Newton's home when completed. The assignment was finished and installed on a large table. The workman had done a very commendable job, simulating not only the various sizes of the planets and their relative proximities, but also so constructing the model that everything rotated and orbited when a crank was turned. It was an interesting, even fascinating work, as you can image, particularly to anyone schooled in the sciences.

A scientist friend of Newton's came by for a visit. Seeing the model, he was naturally intrigued, and proceeded to examine it with undisguised admiration for the high quality of the workmanship.

"Oh My! What an exquisite thing this is!" Newton's friend exclaimed. "Who made it?"

Paying little attention to him, Sir Isaac answered, "Nobody."

Stopping his inspection, the visitor turned and said, "Oh? Evidently you did not understand my question. I asked who made this?"

Newton, enjoying himself immensely no doubt, replied in a still more serious tone, "Nobody. What you see just happened to assume the form it now has."

"You must think I am a fool!" the visitor retorted heatedly, "Of course somebody made it, and he is a genius, and I would like to know who he is."

Newton then spoke to his friend in a polite yet firm way: "This thing is but a puny imitation of a much grander system whose laws you know, and I am not able to convince you that this mere toy is without a designer and maker; yet you profess to believe that the great original from which the design is taken has come into being without either designer or maker! Now tell me by what sort of reasoning do you reach such an incongruous conclusion?

adapted from Sir Isaac Newton Solar System Story (from the book: The Truth: God or evolution?, by Marshall and Sandra Hall, Baker Book House, Grand Rapids, MI)
RE: Sir Isaac Newton Time life said he was the greatest scientific thinker of our time
No need to make two threads about this.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

RE: Sir Isaac Newton Time life said he was the greatest scientific thinker of our time
Duplicate thread.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  What are our chances of survival for a long time? Macoleco 39 3697 September 4, 2020 at 12:01 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Scientific/objective purpose of human species, may be to replicate universes blue grey brain 6 1034 November 25, 2018 at 10:17 am
Last Post: unfogged
  When we close our eyes are we "seeing" dark or do our eyes shutdown? ErGingerbreadMandude 19 2527 December 9, 2017 at 6:10 am
Last Post: LastPoet
  Intelligent Design as a scientific theory? SuperSentient 26 5995 March 26, 2017 at 11:07 pm
Last Post: SuperSentient
Exclamation Can you give me scientific references to mass loss during the pass over? theBorg 26 4595 August 18, 2016 at 8:17 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Questioning Scientific Titans ScepticOrganism 19 3057 July 1, 2016 at 11:56 am
Last Post: CapnAwesome
  Scientific Studies IATIA 9 1832 May 11, 2016 at 7:48 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  Life comes from life Won2blv 16 3010 April 7, 2016 at 4:34 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  The scientific version of good and bad Detective L Ryuzaki 15 5092 August 31, 2015 at 12:39 am
Last Post: Excited Penguin
  Scientific Adam and Eve Won2blv 52 14300 June 22, 2015 at 10:57 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut