Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 30, 2024, 11:23 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
books
books
I apologize if this is a re-post, but i combed through a few pages and didnt see anything. Also tried to find a 'search' button and didn't see one...
But moving on...
what are some good books about atheism? What is some readings you all have enjoyed about the topic?
RE: books
I guess "God is not great" by Christopher Hitchens is the only book entirely centered arround that issue which I have read so far.

I recommend you read "The open sociaty and it`s enemies" by Karl Popper.
It`s basicaly the philosophy behind democracy and makes arguments against theocracy aswell as any other totalitarian form of state.
I liked the God Delusion by Richard Dawkins.
The Selfish Gene Richard Dawkins.

Explained alot! Great
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Read the fucking bible. If anything will put you off religion it is the depiction of god as a blood-thirsty cunt.
(October 31, 2012 at 12:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Read the fucking bible. If anything will put you off religion it is the depiction of god as a blood-thirsty cunt.

Yep... worked for me. I was 14 at the time Great
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Try "Why are you atheists so angry? 99 Things That Piss Off the Godless" by Greta Christina. A good account of what is wrong with religions both mainstream and fundamentalists as well as New Age religions.
Archeologists near mount Sinai have discovered what is believed to be a
missing page from the Bible. The page is currently being carbon dated in
Bonn. If genuine it belongs at the beginning of the Bible and is believed to
read "To my darling Candy. All characters portrayed within this book are
fictitous and any resemblance to persons living or dead is purely
coincidental." - Newsreader in 'Red Dwarf 2: Better Than Life'
http://www.guardian.co.uk/commentisfree/...n-atheists

Just read that, think critically, and you will instantly become a better atheist.

http://www.amazon.com/Where-Conflict-Rea...0199812098

Plantinga's book will blow your mind and teach you to appreciate the non-scientific, non-rational aspects of atheism.
(October 31, 2012 at 12:31 pm)Minimalist Wrote: Read the fucking bible. If anything will put you off religion it is the depiction of god as a blood-thirsty cunt.

Curious? Why does a blood-thirsty cunt hate bloody cunts; the whole unclean thing?

In fact I think that humanity is still suffering because El refused to earn his red wings with Ashera.
A great fictional work: His Dark Materials by Philip Pullman.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Books regarding atheism TrustMeOrNot 81 6813 November 24, 2019 at 8:14 pm
Last Post: Tom Fearnley
  Are there any scientific books or studies that explain what makes a person religious? WisdomOfTheTrees 13 2566 February 9, 2017 at 2:33 am
Last Post: Mirek-Polska
  Holy books on trial mcolafson 7 1570 September 29, 2016 at 11:03 pm
Last Post: CWoods
  Favorite Atheist books? TrueChristian 15 4136 December 31, 2015 at 1:24 am
Last Post: maestroanth
  Do we need more Atheist books for kids? process613 43 7531 November 30, 2014 at 4:14 am
Last Post: fr0d0
  Books on dealing with suffering rybak303 14 7701 April 20, 2014 at 5:54 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Respectable books on apologetics? simpleinterest 35 7530 April 17, 2014 at 7:39 pm
Last Post: Cato
  Religious books cromwell 18 4290 April 16, 2014 at 11:16 pm
Last Post: MindForgedManacle
  Atheism books/authors? apricot-and-a-coffee 28 8755 August 12, 2013 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: Clueless Morgan
  Atheism didn't influence Richard Dawkins' books Dawud 20 7366 April 24, 2013 at 6:07 pm
Last Post: paulpablo