Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: May 2, 2024, 9:52 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Give all your money to the poor, and follow me.
Give all your money to the poor, and follow me.
The interpretations that Christians have of the bible is amazing. Most of the time Christians are trying to explain away so much of the awful stuff that's written in the bible, and try to make it fit into our modern understanding of morality.

However what amazes me more is that when you present modern Christians with what I'd consider one of the better (although perhaps not economically wise) sections of the bible, they equally try to excuse it away, and pretend that it means something else, although it was supposedly said by Jesus himself many times. That is to give up away all your material possessions and live simple lives of spiritual contemplation, owning nothing.

Matthew 19:21 (Context: talking to a man who asks Jesus how to get to heaven.)
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Luke 12:33 ( Jesus preaching to the masses) Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

Have the Christians on this forum done this? Do they actually think about what the bible says, or (the more likely explanation) do they simply accept the interpretation of the hybrid capitalist/christian theology pushed by the majority of modern day Christianity.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
RE: Give all your money to the poor, and follow me.
It's a problem for the fuckers, man. No doubt about that.

[Image: AynRandVersusJesus.jpg]
(December 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: The interpretations that Christians have of the bible is amazing. Most of the time Christians are trying to explain away so much of the awful stuff that's written in the bible, and try to make it fit into our modern understanding of morality.

However what amazes me more is that when you present modern Christians with what I'd consider one of the better (although perhaps not economically wise) sections of the bible, they equally try to excuse it away, and pretend that it means something else, although it was supposedly said by Jesus himself many times. That is to give up away all your material possessions and live simple lives of spiritual contemplation, owning nothing.

Matthew 19:21 (Context: talking to a man who asks Jesus how to get to heaven.)
Jesus answered, "If you want to be perfect, go, sell your possessions and give to the poor, and you will have treasure in heaven. Then come, follow me."

Luke 12:33 ( Jesus preaching to the masses) Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.

Have the Christians on this forum done this? Do they actually think about what the bible says, or (the more likely explanation) do they simply accept the interpretation of the hybrid capitalist/christian theology pushed by the majority of modern day Christianity.

I have, and was given back 100x's more than what I had to begin with.
(December 5, 2012 at 12:57 am)Drich Wrote: I have, and was given back 100x's more than what I had to begin with.

Prosperity gospel. Yes, we've heard this bit too; modern Christians love it, but Christ never taught it. The fact that there are still gullible people giving money to obvious god supported charlatans for the sake of their soul is beyond me. Protestants granting indulgences was the first betrayal of Martin Luther (tythes included).
(December 5, 2012 at 1:24 am)cato123 Wrote:
(December 5, 2012 at 12:57 am)Drich Wrote: I have, and was given back 100x's more than what I had to begin with.

Prosperity gospel. Yes, we've heard this bit too; modern Christians love it, but Christ never taught it. The fact that there are still gullible people giving money to obvious god supported charlatans for the sake of their soul is beyond me. Protestants granting indulgences was the first betrayal of Martin Luther (tythes included).

That is not what I said. I did not give everything away and expected it back. I gave everything up because it was in the way of my service. My service or rather my faithfulness to my service placed me in a position of a steward which was 100xs anything I was able to do on my own.

I agree prosperity gospels are fundamently flawed. They ask one to give for the sake of their greed. Greed is a sin that must be reconsiled before one can commune with the Holy Spirit. so to have the Holy Spirit bless one's greed if they can give small tokens, is a foolish doctrine.
(December 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Luke 12:33 ( Jesus preaching to the masses) Sell your possessions and give to the poor. Provide purses for yourselves that will not wear out, a treasure in heaven that will not be exhausted, where no thief comes near and no moth destroys.
As I read it, Jesus is speaking to the masses in the beginning of the chapter. Then at v22 it shifts to the disciples only: "Then He said to His disciples..." And in 32, the verse before the one you quote, the audience still seems to be small, as he refers to them as "little flock."

I think you have missed the point, Jesus never said anything about you getting back more. He multiple times commands his followers to live a life of poverty and spiritual contemplation. You aren't supposed to pursue wealth at all. What you are referring to is not in the bible, and is a modern creation of apologists, also not what I was talking about at all.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]
Hi,

giving to the poor is one of the fundamental teachings of the church. I try to give as much as I can to the poor. God does not want us to give away everything, he actually wants to bless us so we can bless others.

2Co 9:8 And God is able to make all grace abound toward you; that ye, always having all sufficiency in all things, may abound to every good work:

Mar 10:29-30 And Jesus answered and said, Verily I say unto you, There is no man that hath left house, or brethren, or sisters, or father, or mother, or wife, or children, or lands, for my sake, and the gospel's, But he shall receive an hundredfold now in this time, houses, and brethren, and sisters, and mothers, and children, and lands, with persecutions; and in the world to come eternal life.

The verses about giving show the attitude we are to have toward money, that it is a tool to help the poor. God expects very few people to leave everything, he has only ever said it to one person in the past. Every one else should see their money as a tool for helping the poor, and Gods power and provision as the method for increase to be able to help.
(December 5, 2012 at 12:57 am)Drich Wrote:
(December 4, 2012 at 8:46 pm)CapnAwesome Wrote: Matthew 19:21 (Context: talking to a man who asks Jesus how to get to heaven.)

Luke 12:33 ( Jesus preaching to the masses) Sell your possessions and give to the poor.

I have, and was given back 100x's more than what I had to begin with.

awwwe yes ... I've heard this one SOOO many times, and it's such a GIANT load of goddamn bull shit.

For several reasons:
1. The christards that make this claim NEVER give ALL their possessions away ... not even close. It's an outright lie.
2. These liars like Drich, know that there's no way for anyone to validate this claim of sacrificing all worldly possessions. (especially online)
3. "Give give give ... god will give it back." is nothing more than filthy propaganda to make the stupid poorer and the rich richer.
4. My devout christard father gave every spare dime he had and still does. NEVER has he received 100x back or even 2x back for that matter. Lies.
5. Do you live in a house? Do you own a car? Do you own a TV or radio? Do you ever go out to eat for dinner? Own a computer? A fishing pole? Fucking liars. Every god damn one of 'em is full of excuses and steaming piles of bull shit.

What kind of limped-dick god uses empty promises to tax his own people because he can't seem to build a church himself or buy his preachers new cars? answer: a phoney one. I know I know ... "god's just testing us," and I'm "too blinded to see it," and "we can't pretend to know the will of god," and "god won't reveal himself to me because I'm not seeking hard enough." Blah blah blah blah ... you're all sheep.

By the way -
Do you know why your god isn't coming back? Because he's such a powerless piece of shit, he knows that if he ever showed his useless fucking face on this planet, his own sheeple would figure it out and beat the holy fucking spirit out of that worthless fucking asshat!
[Image: Evolution.png]

I am a very, very POOR and LOST soul. I only have a bank account and internet connection (thanks to a NGO) where I live.

Convert me please, I am so hungry....

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Money raising through child work Der/die AtheistIn 12 3386 December 11, 2017 at 3:08 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  A Love and Money question mcolafson 10 1961 September 26, 2016 at 1:18 pm
Last Post: mcolafson
  Love the Lord your God with all your heart ? Angrboda 144 23090 June 20, 2016 at 5:58 pm
Last Post: KUSA
  The Poor Fucking Jesus Freaks... Minimalist 102 12928 April 22, 2016 at 11:46 pm
Last Post: TheRocketSurgeon
  The number one reason not to follow Christianity Aegon 43 9024 March 11, 2016 at 10:56 am
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Theists give this a watch dyresand 0 888 January 5, 2016 at 6:48 pm
Last Post: dyresand
  "The Lord has redeemed all of us, all of us..." should we be grateful? Whateverist 325 67456 July 21, 2015 at 3:02 pm
Last Post: Tiberius
  Let's Give The Muslims A Day Off Minimalist 60 9610 April 7, 2015 at 2:38 pm
Last Post: Mudhammam
  Illinois bible colleges: "We shouldn't have to follow state standards because bible!" Esquilax 34 7472 January 23, 2015 at 12:29 pm
Last Post: Spooky
  Well...Have To Give Him This One. Minimalist 12 2157 September 10, 2014 at 9:54 pm
Last Post: SteelCurtain