Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 6:21 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Strategies To Keep Them Engaged
Strategies To Keep Them Engaged
So, this is a topic that I have been kicking around for quite some time now and it may very well be a futile one. However, since I am a former believer/Christian Apologist I wanted to discuss possible strategies for keeping theists engaged in the discussion. Now, before anyone chews me up for this please hear me out. From where I sit (as someone who once vehemently argued/debated for theism/Christianity) it is imperative that the theist hear and/or read (over and over) good critical thinking, along with the exposition of his/her false assumptions and irrational justifications. There is good scientific evidence that repetition of information, at varying times, is effective for change. In other words, once is not enough!

I know arguing with religionists/theists can often be extremely frustrating (They are so stubborn!). However, in my view the "outward" signs, or displays of hostility, stubbornness, repetition, etc are not really the important thing. Exposing bad thinking (and having those mistakes accepted as errors in need of correction) takes TIME. Lots of time. One of the things that got me to begin migrating "out" of fundamentalism was continual outsider assessment from different sources (i.e. - different people exposing my irrational beliefs and how/why they were irrational).

With that said, I would like to discuss "methods of magnetism"! How can we get theists to stick around, rather than run away, after getting a lesson in logic (to put it kindly)? Do you think there are ways to keep them engaged longer? What are some good methods?
[Image: AtheistForumsSig.jpg]
RE: Strategies To Keep Them Engaged
being nice?

but I dont want tooooo.
(December 20, 2012 at 3:57 pm)median Wrote: There is good scientific evidence that repetition of information, at varying times, is effective for change. In other words, once is not enough!

I agree. But still, for some theists, as evident in this forum, even a million times is not enough. Tongue
I think creating an atmosphere that is inviting and "welcome" goes a long way - as opposed to "slamming" all those who disagree or think irrationally. That is close to what I'm driving at. It is something that affected me as a theist (back then). No one wants to be "bombed". However, I am not at all opposed to this when it is called for. I'm just thinking of paths toward effectiveness. Indeed, there are likely many paths toward those lines but I do think there are some general principles that are more effective than others.
(December 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm)median Wrote: I think creating an atmosphere that is inviting and "welcome" goes a long way - as opposed to "slamming" all those who disagree or think irrationally.

I agree with that also.

The only thing is that the atmosphere doesn't always stay so inviting and welcoming, as you may expect it to be. There's very likely going to be some bitter arguments between members in this forum every now and then, which is something I do not feel driven away by, personally. That's just the way it is. And some people like that, and some people don't.
(December 20, 2012 at 5:22 pm)Rayaan Wrote:
(December 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm)median Wrote: I think creating an atmosphere that is inviting and "welcome" goes a long way - as opposed to "slamming" all those who disagree or think irrationally.

I agree with that also.

The only thing is that the atmosphere doesn't always stay so inviting and welcoming, as you may expect it to be. There's very likely going to be some bitter arguments between members in this forum every now and then, which is something I do not feel driven away by, personally. That's just the way it is. And some people like that, and some people don't.

Ah yes, I am actually fine with heated debates myself. I take part in them all the time. My point is a similar one. We ought to hold initially open arms - where it goes from there is anyone's guess.

Also, a little long suffering can go a long way toward the desired end of rationality.
(December 20, 2012 at 4:23 pm)median Wrote: I think creating an atmosphere that is inviting and "welcome" goes a long way - as opposed to "slamming" all those who disagree or think irrationally. That is close to what I'm driving at. It is something that affected me as a theist (back then). No one wants to be "bombed". However, I am not at all opposed to this when it is called for. I'm just thinking of paths toward effectiveness. Indeed, there are likely many paths toward those lines but I do think there are some general principles that are more effective than others.

Atheists' anger towards me would make me believe just a little bit more because I thought that demonstrated they needed Jeebus even more in their life. I think a friendly environment would go a long way...
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
(December 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Atheists' anger towards me would make me believe just a little bit more because I thought that demonstrated they needed Jeebus even more in their life. I think a friendly environment would go a long way...

Oh don't get me wrong here. I will light up the fires when necessary and go for the body slam when I have to. I'm just talking about tact and knowing when to use it.
(December 21, 2012 at 12:00 am)median Wrote:
(December 20, 2012 at 9:13 pm)FallentoReason Wrote: Atheists' anger towards me would make me believe just a little bit more because I thought that demonstrated they needed Jeebus even more in their life. I think a friendly environment would go a long way...

Oh don't get me wrong here. I will light up the fires when necessary and go for the body slam when I have to. I'm just talking about tact and knowing when to use it.

Fair enough. I just don't see any situation where that would yield the best outcome. I'm a big fan of just letting reason speak for itself. That's already enough for them to chew on.
"It is the mark of an educated mind to be able to entertain a thought without accepting it" ~ Aristotle
Meh, whatever. Why do we want to convert people anyway? I don't really care personally. It doesn't matter anyway, whatever we are doing is working because the number of Atheists has doubled in ten years.
[Image: dcep7c.jpg]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Lock Them Up! Lock Them Up!! Minimalist 7 1251 October 27, 2018 at 9:19 am
Last Post: brewer
  Religion is fluff but the Doctrines are solid. Keep mind open. RonaldMcRaygun 12 2306 March 31, 2017 at 4:06 pm
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Near death experiences are not biblical and the bible itself debunks them (Proof) LetThereBeNoGod 0 1135 February 16, 2017 at 4:10 pm
Last Post: LetThereBeNoGod
  Oasis Networks- what do you think of them? Casca 3 1608 January 1, 2017 at 2:05 am
Last Post: Angrboda
  you can keep heaven Amarok 32 6612 November 25, 2016 at 11:54 am
Last Post: mlmooney89
  how to hold on to atheism when things keep getting worse? Rextos 26 4496 June 6, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Last Post: Adam Blackstar
  My siblings are agnostic, should I try discussing atheism with them? CindyBaker 17 3651 April 18, 2016 at 9:27 am
Last Post: LostLocke
  Do humans always accept proofs when presented to them? Mystic 59 13014 January 2, 2016 at 6:08 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  Parents forcing a christian convention on me - how to keep sane? coolfunkDJ 68 12748 April 4, 2015 at 5:06 am
Last Post: DeistPaladin
  Atheism Kills Off the Ambition of the Lower Classes and Makes them Anti-Social Blackrook 59 28963 July 9, 2014 at 7:05 pm
Last Post: Amalynne0