Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 27, 2024, 9:43 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
I suppose I should introduce myself...
Tongue 
I suppose I should introduce myself...
Since I've already been in chat a few times, I've decided it's time to stop lurking and actually post, especially since there are comments I've wanted to add but didn't feel right doing so without making a formal introduction.

(stands up) Hello, my name is Ian, and I'm an atheist. (smiles and waves awkwardly at the chorus of "Hi, Ian." from the crowd) Wink

Though as you can see from my profile, I prefer to call myself a naturalist. Not only would I rather be defined by what I do believe than by what I don't, but it's also because not all atheists adhere to naturalist philosophy. 'Course, there are those who misinterpret it to mean an interest in biology, or worse, think that I said "naturist", but hey, what are you gonna do? Undecided

I often refer to my ascent to naturalism as an "antipiphany", for it was a gradual process rather than a sudden flash of inspiration. I was raised liberal Catholic, pardon the apparent oxymoron. However, I began to doubt the Christian worldview pretty early, and by my teens was a practicing Wiccan, partly due to a fascination with my Celtic ancestry and partly out of a desire to perform magic. See, I was a rocker geek in school full of preppies, in a town in which my family could barely afford to live, so I guess it was only natural to respond to my apparent powerlessness in such a way. But as time went on, I noticed that my spells worked with the same infrequency that my prayers had been answered when I was still a Christian, and over the course of my 20s began to shed all of my supernatural beliefs...until at long last when I was clinging to quasi-panentheistic notions of "forces" did I finally accept the natural universe is all that we have evidence for, so it's probably all there is.

More about me: I'm 38 years old, and I live in South Jersey, just across the river from Philadelphia. I'm a musician as well as an amateur luthier; I went to school for guitarbuilding, though I currently lack the means of building from scratch and so just customize existing instruments, and thus earn my living as a factory grunt since I only lasted half a semester in college. I'm a huge fan of Bad Religion and the reimagined Battlestar Galactica. Also, I'm into dolls...yes, those kind of dolls. My apologies if you're creeped out by the concept, but much like my naturalism, I'm pretty open about it. In fact, the Doll Forum is my digital home, so to speak ("nomen mihi non" is the Latin translation of my TDF username), but alas, religion and politics are verboten topics there. So while I can't promise that I'll be particularly active here, I'll at least throw in my two cents in discussions that pique my interest from time to time. Big Grin
RE: I suppose I should introduce myself...
Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5
Welcome Enjoy the forums.
Welcome
Re: I suppose I should introduce myself...
What kind of dolls? Smile

Grew up with a vague Christian influence... Check
Grew into paganistic beliefs... Check
Got into musical instrument making... Check

*Waves* Hi Ian Wink
(December 31, 2012 at 3:10 am)fr0d0 Wrote: What kind of dolls? Smile

These kinds apparently

http://www.google.com.au/url?sa=t&rct=j&...4169,d.dGY

P.s, Hi from Western Oz, where it is about 40 deg C at the moment.
[Image: mybannerglitter06eee094.gif]
If you're not supposed to ride faster than your guardian angel can fly then mine had better get a bloody SR-71.
Blimey! lol Big Grin
Re: I suppose I should introduce myself...
Hey, NMN.
[Image: SigBarSping_zpscd7e35e1.png]
Thank you all for such a warm welcome. Big Grin

Yes, I suppose I should've been more specific about the dolls. I assumed everyone would figure out that I meant love dolls (I have four Teddy Babes and will be ordering a Ruby13 at the end of the month), but then, we all know about assumption's capacity to induce a simultaneous posterior transformation. Tongue I suppose there are indeed much creepier dolls to be of interest to an adult male... Undecided

Oh, and my Christian upbringing wasn't vague, just liberal. My mother was admittedly disappointed when I began expressing interest in Paganism, but she accepted it. Of course, there are times that I wish my upbringing had been stricter, so I might've had the strength to reject it right away instead of wasting all those years in pursuit of alternative spirituality. But then I'd've probably become an atheist for the wrong reasons.Wink
Hi, Nomen! Hope you don't mind the contraction there, I'm a lazy typist.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  A Letter to Myself scamper 8 1035 October 14, 2022 at 1:52 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  I never introduced myself shadow 14 3698 July 23, 2017 at 12:37 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Allow me to introduce myself. I bring a gift for everyone. Adrian Ferrer 18 2168 March 26, 2017 at 4:40 pm
Last Post: ignoramus
  introducing myself BehindTheGnoll 14 1587 January 18, 2017 at 12:50 pm
Last Post: Fireball
  From Jesus to just Myself Wrikudoro 13 3345 February 8, 2016 at 3:04 am
Last Post: robvalue
  Myself John Algar 17 2364 September 9, 2015 at 11:46 am
Last Post: Longhorn
  I guess I should introduce myself cocunningham 26 3858 May 31, 2015 at 12:49 am
Last Post: Secular Elf
  Introducing myself Fortruth 15 2769 November 23, 2014 at 3:19 am
Last Post: Aractus
Smile Introducing myself thedouglenz 9 2841 June 9, 2014 at 5:47 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut
  Thought i'd introduce myself Jin 13 2446 March 27, 2014 at 6:21 am
Last Post: Fidel_Castronaut