Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:32 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Hell
Hell
So do you believe in hell? Anyone can answer of course. If you do, what are the circumstances that somene would be deserving of eternal punishment? In case anyone doesn't know, I don't.
"I trust my own reason and my own capacities to think and educate myself and to reach greater levels of knowlege and status through learning and work. To me, wishing for a god is like wishing to be a slave, it is like declaring that one is too incompetent to handle one's own affairs." - the germans are coming
RE: Hell
I do not believe in the existence of a Hell, for the self-evident reason that there is no proof for it (at least, not that I am aware of).
The only thing I know is that everyone dies. After that everything is pure speculation.
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

There is a hell. It's called New Jersey.
The Lord bless you and keep you; the Lord make his face to shine upon you and be gracious to you; the Lord lift up his countenance upon you and give you peace.
I don't believe in hell because it seems like a poor management choice. If there is an afterlife I imagine it would be more complicated than filing people as good or bad.
(April 28, 2013 at 4:04 pm)TromboneAtheist Wrote: So do you believe in hell? Anyone can answer of course. If you do, what are the circumstances that somene would be deserving of eternal punishment? In case anyone doesn't know, I don't.

You haven't heard???

I have good news and bad news for you. The bad news is: You're going to hell. The good news is, you won't have to spend an eternity with a narcissistic bastard and all his violent condescending homicidal, genocidal followers.

Allow me to explain why...

About 8000 years ago, give or take 4000 years, a wizard put a trap in his own garden for the only two people in the world. He told them not to eat a certain fruit off a certain tree and that if they did they would surely die. Well, these two people had no knowledge of good and evil and therefore couldn't possibly comprehend the ramifications of their actions, let alone that those actions would also condemn the entire human race for all eternity. (Fine print people ... always check the fine print.) Anyway, the wizard knew they'd fail the test and promptly kicked them out of his little conservatory condemning them and everyone else to eternal damnation.

Basically, you're going to hell because a primitive couple ate some fruit. I know I know, it doesn't seem fair. The truth is, justice and fairness isn't what this particular wizard really does ... at all.
Rape, murder, infanticide ... he even requires people to make blood sacrifices to him and once even drowned nearly everyone on the planet because he didn't like what he had created.

I hope this clears it all up for you. See you in hell.
[Image: Evolution.png]

I'm not sure because I don't know if god does exist really.
(April 28, 2013 at 7:32 pm)viocjit Wrote: I'm not sure because I don't know if god does exist really.

Which god?
[Image: Evolution.png]

God is love, justice. Love and justice can't give for a certain amount of sins eternal suffering. That's unjustifiably and no love at all. Same goes for giving eternal heaven for certain amount of good deeds. Hell, earth, heaven are temporary stages but endless karmic cycle. Every religion has reincarnation aspect in it.
(April 28, 2013 at 4:04 pm)TromboneAtheist Wrote: So do you believe in hell? Anyone can answer of course. If you do, what are the circumstances that somene would be deserving of eternal punishment? In case anyone doesn't know, I don't.

One of the few positive things about being a Jehovah's Witness was their view of Hell. To them, Hell simply represents "the common grave of mankind." Which is to say, dirt. Hell is located six feet into the ground, and by the time you get there you've stopped existing and don't feel a thing.

So along with a whole shitload of crazy-ass beliefs, I at least had the consolation that Hell wasn't a fiery pit of eternal torment, and that when people died they just died. On the other hand, maybe if I'd been told that it was an endless inferno I'd have figured out that the whole damn thing was bullshit a lot earlier...
"Well, evolution is a theory. It is also a fact. And facts and theories are different things, not rungs in a hierarchy of increasing certainty. Facts are the world's data. Theories are structures of ideas that explain and interpret facts. Facts don't go away when scientists debate rival theories to explain them. Einstein's theory of gravitation replaced Newton's in this century, but apples didn't suspend themselves in midair, pending the outcome. And humans evolved from ape- like ancestors whether they did so by Darwin's proposed mechanism or by some other yet to be discovered."

-Stephen Jay Gould

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  HELL or not HELL? Little Rik 91 11414 November 10, 2018 at 12:23 pm
Last Post: Angrboda