Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 12:07 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
An agnostic atheist who once wanted to be a minister
An agnostic atheist who once wanted to be a minister
I'm near thirty years old, from the Midwest, and wanted to be a minister when I was in my early twenties. After digging into the bible and its history and encountering some personal issues with my girlfriend at the time, I just became unable to believe anymore. Simply put, I was doing everything I could to try to get answers to moral questions, and there wasn't a hint of a response.

I've maintained friendships with theists of all types ever since, and have hosted conversation groups to get people to move past the common antagonistic arguments, talk about their experiences, and enjoy some activities together. It has been far more productive than the debates I used to host, though not nearly as effective as I'd hoped.

Those are the basics about me. Any questions?
RE: An agnostic atheist who once wanted to be a minister
Welcome
Even if the open windows of science at first make us shiver after the cozy indoor warmth of traditional humanizing myths, in the end the fresh air brings vigor, and the great spaces have a splendor of their own - Bertrand Russell
Hello.
Welcome!

Being a minister would be my dream job... if, you know, I actually believed in that stuff.
It does mean never having to do an actual day of work in your whole life.
(May 21, 2013 at 8:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It does mean never having to do an actual day of work in your whole life.

Not necessarily. I used to be a church secretary and assistant to the minister. She wrote her sermons, was involved with every committee, had regular meetings with various nutjobs in the congregation. She was in the choir and participated in all of the charity events. She came to work at eight AM every day (except Sunday- she was there by 6:30), and was there until anywhere from seven PM to ten. The only day she didn't come to work was Saturday, but even then, I'd drive by the church at night and see her office light on every once in awhile.
(May 21, 2013 at 8:43 pm)Minimalist Wrote: It does mean never having to do an actual day of work in your whole life.

That's bullshit; you have to deal with the population of your church and try your best to solve problems using the bible as your source material. Church attracts a lot of loonies and they all want the leader's attention.

That and you have to write sermons and shit.

By the way OP, welcome to our humble forums! Smile
(May 21, 2013 at 7:06 pm)ReadAndConsider Wrote: I'm near thirty years old, from the Midwest, and wanted to be a minister when I was in my early twenties. After digging into the bible and its history and encountering some personal issues with my girlfriend at the time, I just became unable to believe anymore. Simply put, I was doing everything I could to try to get answers to moral questions, and there wasn't a hint of a response.

I've maintained friendships with theists of all types ever since, and have hosted conversation groups to get people to move past the common antagonistic arguments, talk about their experiences, and enjoy some activities together. It has been far more productive than the debates I used to host, though not nearly as effective as I'd hoped.

Those are the basics about me. Any questions?
Sheeitt! This Agnostic Atheist is a minister. Just go on to ulc.net and sign the form. It won't cost anything to ordain you, but if you want to purchase the accessories, it'll cost more.
Comparing the Universal Oneness of All Life to Yo Mama since 2010.

[Image: harmlesskitchen.png]

I was born with the gift of laughter and a sense the world is mad.
Hello and welcome to AF! ^_^
When I was young, there was a god with infinite power protecting me. Is there anyone else who felt that way? And was sure about it? but the first time I fell in love, I was thrown down - or maybe I broke free - and I bade farewell to God and became human. Now I don't have God's protection, and I walk on the ground without wings, but I don't regret this hardship. I want to live as a person. -Arina Tanemura

Hello again, and Welcome
"The Universe is run by the complex interweaving of three elements: energy, matter, and enlightened self-interest." G'Kar-B5

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
Smile Hi, agnostic here :) Erin27 31 3835 April 17, 2017 at 10:10 am
Last Post: Brian37
  Once upon a time... Silent Snob 14 2036 March 30, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: Little lunch
  I wrote a book once. NewKingJames 19 2264 March 21, 2017 at 3:20 pm
Last Post: brewer
  Hi, an agnostic here ... just agnostic. TheHuxleyAgnostic 47 4105 November 12, 2016 at 4:06 am
Last Post: TheoneandonlytrueGod
  Agnostic among Atheists doomed 43 9127 November 8, 2016 at 5:20 pm
Last Post: GrandizerII
  Viocjit the agnostic viocjit 29 7289 September 30, 2016 at 10:54 pm
Last Post: c172
  Ex Christian, relieved to be an agnostic atheist SerenelyBlue 28 4493 September 7, 2016 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: ScienceAf
  I guess I'm agnostic? gubeym 19 3744 May 27, 2015 at 1:11 am
Last Post: SteelCurtain
  Agnostic leaning towards atheism OGirly 18 5232 March 16, 2014 at 2:23 pm
Last Post: The Valkyrie
  Just wanted to say hello Lemonvariable72 8 2410 August 28, 2013 at 1:23 pm
Last Post: Lemonvariable72