Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 29, 2024, 7:00 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Pope: "Atheists can go to heaven"- intellectual dishonesty?
Pope: "Atheists can go to heaven"- intellectual dishonesty?
http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ds-newsxml
Who does this new Pope think he's kidding? Everybody knows that in Christianity, only accepting Christ would lead to salvation, otherwise it would defeat the purpose of accepting Christ and being a Christian, what is the point? I've never heard so much bullshit and flip-flopping from the Vatican in my life. At least be consistent about your core beliefs if nothing else.
RE: Pope: "Atheists can go to heaven"- intellectual dishonesty?
If we go by some christians around these forums.... being good equals accepting christ...
So, what he says is accurate, just in a very twisted way. Wink
But that doesn't make any sense. Because it would undermine the reason for being a Christian in the first place doesn't it? I have a hard time believing that a person who might not even believe in the existence of Christ originally, would be saved in a so-called Christian salvation.
Only thing I agree with is that this is the pope shooting himself in his foot, but the Bible has the "saved through works" bit that a lot ignore and just go on about faith is enough or some stupid shit when even apologetics have some wishy-washy idea that it's a combination of the two.
"The first principle is that you must not fool yourself — and you are the easiest person to fool." - Richard P. Feynman
Why doesn't he just admit that Atheists would have no Christian salvation, it wouldn't make him any less popular than he already is. And if he really believes what he said, then perhaps he should pull back all those Catholic missionaries proselytizing Catholicism.
(May 25, 2013 at 7:29 pm)ideologue08 Wrote: Why doesn't he just admit that Atheists would have no Christian salvation, it wouldn't make him any less popular than he already is. And if he really believes what he said, then perhaps he should pull back all those Catholic missionaries proselytizing Catholicism.

I think, perhaps, what we are hearing is a thirsty man asking for a drink of water.

[Image: extraordinarywoo-sig.jpg]
(May 25, 2013 at 7:07 pm)ideologue08 Wrote: But that doesn't make any sense. Because it would undermine the reason for being a Christian in the first place doesn't it? I have a hard time believing that a person who might not even believe in the existence of Christ originally, would be saved in a so-called Christian salvation.

Why not? People are capable of altruism, why not your god? If the main character in your allegedly greatest story ever told really came to redeem all mankind, why should it be so hard to imagine this protagonist wouldn't be aiming higher than just his inner circle of sycophants? It would be pretty hilarious if it turned out some core bit of the story was true but all the bullshit the fundamentalists preach was just beside the point.

Any how, it really is just a story. Enjoy it.
(May 25, 2013 at 7:00 pm)ideologue08 Wrote: http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/article-...ds-newsxml
Who does this new Pope think he's kidding? Everybody knows that in Christianity, only accepting Christ would lead to salvation, otherwise it would defeat the purpose of accepting Christ and being a Christian, what is the point? I've never heard so much bullshit and flip-flopping from the Vatican in my life. At least be consistent about your core beliefs if nothing else.

Be honest, how much do you really know about Christianity?
(May 25, 2013 at 9:02 pm)whateverist Wrote: Why not?
You haven't answered my question though; what is the point of being Christian or proselytizing Catholicism if what he is saying is true? The Vatican flip flops worse than Mitt Romney.
(May 25, 2013 at 7:21 pm)Sal Wrote: Only thing I agree with is that this is the pope shooting himself in his foot, but the Bible has the "saved through works" bit that a lot ignore and just go on about faith is enough or some stupid shit when even apologetics have some wishy-washy idea that it's a combination of the two.
Quote:...but the Bible has the "saved through works" bit that a lot ignore and just go on about faith is enough...
No...that's not entirely it...faith and works do go together. It's not one or the other...

Ephesians 2: 8-9:
Quote:8 For by grace are you saved through faith; and that not of yourselves: it is the gift of God:

9 Not of works, lest any man should boast.

James 2: 14-26
Quote:18 But someone will say, “You have faith, and I have works.” Show me your faith without your works, and I will show you my faith by my works....

26 For as the body without the spirit is dead, so faith without works is dead also.
"Inside every Liberal there's a Totalitarian screaming to get out"

[Image: freddy_03.jpg]

Quote: JohnDG...
Quote:It was an awful mistake to characterize based upon religion. I should not judge any theist that way, I must remember what I said in order to change.

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  "intellectual"Ben cukpiro:Congresspeople Being ‘Bought & Paid For’ Is ‘Pretty Rare’ Cepheus Ace 0 203 February 15, 2019 at 2:57 am
Last Post: Cepheus Ace
  Can someone tell me where in the 2nd amendment it says you can carry machine guns? NuclearEnergy 310 71954 May 16, 2017 at 7:22 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger
  Why is it Republicans can dish it out, but can't take it when someone throws it back NuclearEnergy 10 4471 April 27, 2017 at 10:38 pm
Last Post: DarkerEnergy
  Arizona - Republicunt heaven. Minimalist 7 1625 November 10, 2015 at 6:56 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  Pope fires cardinal who is outspoken critic of gay marriage and abortion TaraJo 18 3934 December 19, 2013 at 8:40 pm
Last Post: Jackalope
  A good Pope? Something completely different 3 674 July 31, 2013 at 12:18 pm
Last Post: Minimalist
  "Pope Francis attacks drug legalisation in Latin America" Something completely different 1 1004 July 25, 2013 at 1:50 am
Last Post: Autumnlicious
  Culture of dishonesty? Something completely different 2 987 January 23, 2013 at 9:46 am
Last Post: KichigaiNeko
  Why can't communist become citizens, but Nazis can? cratehorus 9 7408 July 20, 2012 at 9:27 pm
Last Post: Polaris
  GMO's and intellectual property rights. kılıç_mehmet 9 4365 March 11, 2012 at 12:10 pm
Last Post: The Grand Nudger