Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 26, 2024, 6:14 am

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
Schizophrenic Room-mate
Schizophrenic Room-mate
Well, sometime around November last year, one of my two room-mates bailed on us without warning. As a result, we had to get a new room-mate. In the haste to do so, my other room-mate [who posted up the ads for a room-mate needed on craigslist] thought it a good idea to have this guy move in with us with virtually nothing known about him. Just that he rode a motorcycle and played video games. Apparently that's all it took for her to say "OKAY!!"

DERP.

Anyway. A month into him living with us, he confided in me the following:

1: He is schizophrenic.
2: He shot someone to death a few years ago during a fist-fight.
3: He enjoyed doing so.
4: He does not take medication and doesn't think he needs it.

Now, he's not particularly a problem. He's a nice guy, and I've never seen him go into a psychotic episode or anything, but he's still clearly off the deep end all the same. He is under the delusions that someone in the US government is out to get him, that 500,000,000 people are watching him and want him for some reason or another, that he can use magic [he even makes something called "mana," which is basically spirulina (yes, algae) cooked into ramen noodles; the shit stinks up the place for a good hour after he's made it], and that "the box" is always talking to him.

My biggest concerns are the fact that, one, his room hasn't been cleaned this entire time that he's been living with us. It smells like a garbage pit in there, and I'm pretty damn sure that the security deposit we put in isn't coming back to us because of that shit. Two, he never bathes. The sole exceptions are when he's going to go somewhere but since he never goes anywhere, he doesn't shower, so he smells fucking horrible. Three, he doesn't clean up after himself at all, and since I share a bathroom with him [what, you thought the room-mate who had him move in with us would share hers? PFT! No, no, I get to share mine with him] the bathroom is constantly full of his hair, cigarettes, cigarette ashes [all over the fucking place], and as stated before, he doesn't clean up after himself, much less participate in any of the cleaning me and my other room-mate do. And three and the biggest is that he is pretty heavily armed. He has a crossbow and four knives in his room along with bolts and if he could manage it I am pretty sure he would have access to a firearm, and I'm not entirely sure he doesn't have a gun, to be honest.

The lease is due to be renewed at the end of august. This guy won't medicate, he won't clean up, his constant "looming" [where he just stands and stares at me] is freaking me the fuck out, his disjointed conversations are driving me nuts [I've had patience so far to be able to humor him but...], and while I can't exactly blame him since I know it's not his fault, his constant condescending remarks and his need to insult everything I watch or play is straining my nerves to their breaking point. I'm not sure I can just tell the apartment complex people that I don't want him living with us for these reasons, and I dunno what the fuck else I can do. Anyone got any suggestions? Any means, perhaps, of getting him to at least start medicating? Something? ANYTHING??

Addendum: I don't dare say anything for fear that he'll lose his shit or something, and if he loses his shit and goes violent, he has a lot more lethality at his disposal than I do.
RE: Schizophrenic Room-mate
Creed Wrote:I'm not sure I can just tell the apartment complex people that I don't want him living with us for these reasons,

You sold me, give it a shot. Err... not that kind of shot.

Or that one. Fuck.

You know what I mean. Medication isn't really the point here, and I don't think you want to be the one near him while medicine is fucking with his already fucked-up head, especially through the 'try this one and then that one' stage... keep in mind that the guy shot someone dead and is proud of it (by his claim).

You haven't exactly given me a stellar review of him, the best thing you've said is 'he's a nice guy'... but compared to the rest, it sounds more like you're trying to find something to defend in him than anything else. Which is to say: you're a nice guy... haha.

Now... me... my perception would suggest that his story about shooting someone dead was hyperbole if any part of it happened at all. I also think that he probably has all of these weapons on display to intimidate and nothing more... even if he doesn't realize it. Probably because he's scared, and putting on a tough guy image, which the former which may be related to the schizophrenia which you believe he experiences. He sounds like he needs a lot of taking care of, so he's probably used to others doing everything for him... really, this leaves you two options: A... you can offer to clean his room, in hopes of getting that money back. B... you can ask him nicely. Those are the pussy options, but if you're as much of a wimp as me, you'll probably start with B, then try A, and then have him evicted on basis of not obeying terms of contract. Unless he's subleasing... in which case: I hope your manager doesn't hate your guts.
Please give me a home where cloud buffalo roam
Where the dear and the strangers can play
Where sometimes is heard a discouraging word
But the skies are not stormy all day
lol.. i don't believe mental illness exists. i think medical/scientific persons create their theories as an attempt to control the masses.
Vae: Oh trust me...he did it.

http://www.nbc15.com/news/headlines/7873267.html

He was found not guilty by claim of self-defense.

Dazzn: I don't care what you do or don't believe, I'm not asking for your opinion and when I want it I'll slap you in the face with it, you got it, you fucking ass-chewer?
lol.. i'm just stating a fact.
Merely saying something is a fact doesn't make it a fact, it's just your opinion, I don't give a fuck about your opinion, now go back to shoving your head up your own ass.
(May 31, 2013 at 6:18 am)Creed of Heresy Wrote: Vae: Oh trust me...he did it.

http://www.nbc15.com/news/headlines/7873267.html

He was found not guilty by claim of self-defense.

Then get rid of him... you have significant pretext.

Quote:Dazzn: I don't care what you do or don't believe, I'm not asking for your opinion and when I want it I'll slap you in the face with it, you got it, you fucking ass-chewer?

Why are you even remotely affected by-yknow... never mind, this could be fascinating.

(May 31, 2013 at 6:01 am)dazzn Wrote: lol.. i don't believe mental illness exists.

What are you talking about doesn't exist?

Quote:i think medical/scientific persons create their theories as an attempt to control the masses.

I asked for the return of pippy... and this is the best the gods can give me? Damn.
When I say "I don't care," I generally don't mean I have an apathy towards something, I tend to mean that I don't care for it, that I do not want it, that I do not appreciate it, etc.

Honestly, I don't dislike Dan, I feel bad for him, to be honest. I think that you are right, Vae: I think he's displaying all that as a means of assuring himself but I can't ignore the fact that at the same time that if something happens and he goes into a psychotic episode, my life and that of my room-mate [who despite my grumbling happens to actually be my best friend of ten years, as well] could very well be in danger. I'm probably going to speak to the apartment people. I'm not going to ask they cancel his lease, but I AM going to ask that they find a way to deny him a renewal, so that he'll be able to find somewhere else to live, hopefully with his parents, because they need to help him. The man is 41, and is clearly suffering. I'll also ask that the apartment people take into consideration his mental illness in the event of any permanent damage to the room.

I'm still hoping someone can give me some advice towards getting him to seek treatment...but something tells me I'm gonna be SOL there.
Why haven't you moved out already? It sounds like some prison based sit com, the guy sounds like the stereotype of a person you do not want to share living space with.

Are you ready for the fire? We are firemen. WE ARE FIREMEN! The heat doesn’t bother us. We live in the heat. We train in the heat. It tells us that we’re ready, we’re at home, we’re where we’re supposed to be. Flames don’t intimidate us. What do we do? We control the flame. We control them. We move the flames where we want to. And then we extinguish them.

Impersonation is treason.

(May 31, 2013 at 6:55 am)paulpablo Wrote: Why haven't you moved out already? It sounds like some prison based sit com, the guy sounds like the stereotype of a person you do not want to share living space with.

Well... at least he doesn't masturbate in the hallway between the rooms Dodgy Or have very loud sex with hookers every night... or blare his stereo with the bass all the way up.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DEfp2HuU20s

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  The Taliban are morons and Muhammad was a schizophrenic pedophile. Jehanne 13 994 August 16, 2021 at 3:00 pm
Last Post: BrianSoddingBoru4
  G'day Mate...... Brian37 74 5719 June 22, 2019 at 5:28 pm
Last Post: Brian37
  AF Skype Room: Why I Miss Its Activity Edwardo Piet 16 2885 October 31, 2016 at 9:15 am
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  sharing a room/flat with a theist mcolafson 5 579 September 1, 2016 at 12:47 am
Last Post: Jesster
  My schizophrenic opinions on sex segregation in gyms paulpablo 6 1284 August 30, 2016 at 3:05 am
Last Post: Regina
  What the fuck is love mate? ScienceAf 83 8888 August 19, 2016 at 2:18 pm
Last Post: Thumpalumpacus
  Room 101 ManMachine 9 2001 November 5, 2014 at 10:21 am
Last Post: robvalue
  My reptile room/bedroom Doggey75 16 2722 May 3, 2014 at 3:19 pm
Last Post: Tonus
  Creation of Adam in my room: yay or nay? rexbeccarox 8 4451 April 10, 2013 at 5:22 pm
Last Post: Angrboda
  Room 101 bozo 10 5728 November 13, 2008 at 6:45 pm
Last Post: Jason Jarred