Our server costs ~$56 per month to run. Please consider donating or becoming a Patron to help keep the site running. Help us gain new members by following us on Twitter and liking our page on Facebook!
Current time: April 28, 2024, 6:18 pm

Thread Rating:
  • 0 Vote(s) - 0 Average
What does it mean to "bless" something?
What does it mean to "bless" something?
What does it mean to "bless" something? What does it impart in the object blessed?
Find the cure for Fundementia!
RE: What does it mean to "bless" something?
Nothing.
In the Southeast US, it's a polite form of derision.
I think it means to have God look favorably on someone or something so he doesn't bring harm to that person or object. In effect, asking God to not harm someone or something that he might accidentally or purposefully otherwise bring harm to.

Of course, here in reality people or things which are blessed suffer the same misfortunes as people or things which are not blessed. Almost like God doesn't care or doesn't exist.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
I had this idea a few years ago to test this stuff out. Sam and I had been to a xmas meal at a local church (yes, you read that right). Of course, they did the usual thing of saying grace and blessing the food. Which got me thinking; does blessing food make any discernable difference, make it taste different for example?

So I came up with the idea of pitching a table in the street with three plates of food - pizza slices or something - one of which had been blessed and one just basic untouched pizza for a control. The third would have been cursed. Then I was going to invite passersby to sample one from each plate and write down which they thought was which and maybe why. I'd collate the results and post the footage on my YT channel.

Then I completely lost all interest. I'd forgotten about it until I saw this thread.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
I was hoping a theist could provide some bible verse pretzels to explain it for us.
Find the cure for Fundementia!
Every serving of bible verses from a theist is a pretzel of Gordian proportions.
At the age of five, Skagra decided emphatically that God did not exist.  This revelation tends to make most people in the universe who have it react in one of two ways - with relief or with despair.  Only Skagra responded to it by thinking, 'Wait a second.  That means there's a situation vacant.'
(August 28, 2013 at 9:13 pm)Brakeman Wrote: I was hoping a theist could provide some bible verse pretzels to explain it for us.

I would argue against baiting theists. What ensues can cause an atheist to 1. claw his/her own eyes out 2. laugh uncontrollably 3. have said laughter result in a urination accident 4. make one's head explode, which is a good follow up to the first scenario.
[Image: 10314461_875206779161622_3907189760171701548_n.jpg]
Re: blessing food

I remember once when I was a small child, maybe about 3 or 4, and right before a meal my family wanted to say the meal prayer. I said, "we don't need to pray, the food's not hot!" Apparently in the past they'd told me that the food was hot and if we pray first it gives it time to cool.
Christian apologetics is the art of rolling a dog turd in sugar and selling it as a donut.
From UrbanDictionary.com:

Bless: V. To smoke cannabis. To have a smoking session (sesh). The full version of the tem is "Bless Jah", Jah being common Jamaican for "God". This makes perfect sense seeing as the god of the rasta movement might best be defined as cannabis smoking. To "Bless", as of posting, isn't very widely known, and as such it has several advantages to just saying "Let's toke".

1) It can be said in front of authorities or people opposed to cannabis smoking without them understanding the meaning.
2) It implies the spiritual aspect of cannabis smoking, which is a great way to think of smoking.
3) It separates the speaker from lesser smokers who use such conventional terms as "smoke"

So, there you have it. Who would like to bless with me?
ronedee Wrote:Science doesn't have a good explaination for water

[Image: YAAgdMk.gif]

Possibly Related Threads...
Thread Author Replies Views Last Post
  Pennsylvania Church asks couples to bring in their AR-15's so they can bless the guns Cecelia 63 9909 March 17, 2018 at 7:30 am
Last Post: Gawdzilla Sama
  Vatican Children's Hospital showcasing something besides excellence in child care vorlon13 14 3463 July 19, 2017 at 1:49 am
Last Post: vorlon13
  What do Christians Mean by "Restoe our Nation?" Rhondazvous 86 9462 February 5, 2016 at 1:53 pm
Last Post: Drich
  Suppose I Did something Bad Rhondazvous 45 7946 October 17, 2015 at 4:52 pm
Last Post: Edwardo Piet
  Something to think about dyresand 9 2222 August 26, 2015 at 3:18 am
Last Post: ignoramus
  Miley Cyrus says something fairly coherent. Spooky 11 3037 June 15, 2015 at 1:50 pm
Last Post: Chad32
  something interesting to read dyresand 22 6141 November 17, 2014 at 9:46 am
Last Post: dyresand
  Copy/paste image of "Something every Christian should hear" atheist04330 16 3341 August 6, 2014 at 9:35 pm
Last Post: Neo-Scholastic
  Ken Ham is finally good for something! Esquilax 27 3398 July 14, 2014 at 2:55 pm
Last Post: Jaysyn
  Something I want you to imagine Lemonvariable72 68 16669 September 30, 2013 at 11:51 am
Last Post: Tonus